[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Problems, Mike?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Pacha Daddy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 14 2000, 13:35

I got to thinking...consider this:

"Crises, crises...I need you on my side 'cause there's a crises..."

"Helpmehelpmehelpmehelpmehelpme" (5MO)

"There is trouble. Where are you?" (translation, according to MOU, of the chant in Hindi at the beginning of TB3)

Mike seems to write an awful lot about being in trouble! Other examples?
Profile PM WEB 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2000, 16:39

But on the other hand: 'Old man trouble, I don't mind him, you won't find him hangin' round my door'
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Dec. 14 2000, 22:28

Archangel Foster, the lyrics you mentioned are from a George Gershwin song called "I Got Rythm" that Mike covered. He did not write those lyrics.

But heres other examples:

"Good brother show me how to get home, I've been walking in the backyard of satan"
Runaway Son

"What ya gonna do, time is running out on you, anyway you choose, anyway you gonna lose"
Poison Arrows

"...So you lost your dream in a bottle of wine, I knew you had to do it your way fine but theres none to carry the cross this time"
Flying Start

"...and the man in the rain picked up his bag of secrets, and journied up the mountainside, Far Above The Clouds, and nothing was ever heard from him again...except for the sound of Tubular Bells"
Far Above The Clouds
(this is my favourite!)
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2000, 06:21

Bennyboy, somehow I knew someone would tell me this... I know it's a Gershwin song! But would Mike have covered it if the lyrics didn't say anything about him as well?
Profile PM WEB 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2000, 08:57

This strolls a bit off the humorous path I'd started down when I posted yesterday, but...

The first time I listened to TB3 and heard the "and nothing was ever heard..." line, I wondered if it wasn't a little like Prospero's speech at the end of The Tempest--said speech being widely regarded as Shakespeare's farewell to the stage.

Mind you, I don't think Mr. Mike is going away any time soon, but....hmmm...what meaning can we dig/find/create/imagine from that, eh?

(By the way: Loreena McKennit does a beautiful sung version of Prospero's speech on "The Visit.")
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Dec. 15 2000, 17:28

Qué Pacha, Pacha?

wink

Oh I think the greatest problem is of a sexual matter, I weale trie 2 X-plane this in a M.O. meant:

Most psychoanalists say that when you dream about flying there are sexual matters you´ve got to resolve. That can explane Mike´s well known obsession for flying (by plane, by hot balloon, helicopters, and things like that).

Remember these lyrics:

"I´d rather be with you than flying thru' space"

"Saved by a Bell, (...) But You learn to fly too tall" (I´m sure those aren´t the correct lyrics exactly, but...anyhow)

"In the clouds, turning and chasing shadows"

"Happy?" redface(oh, sorry, this has nothing 'bout the rest, sorry)

"Foreign Affair, take a trip in the air"

"When you see one bird into the wind another one´s turning"

Think'bout titles like Airborne, Flying Start or covers like FMO, Heaven´s Open, The Complete, Platinum, the "flying" Tubular Bells, or the main argument of The Songs of Distant Earth, a spaceship leaving a destroyed planet...

I think these are such enough proofs for helping in orientating your points of view!

With some Utch love& understanding & admiration,

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 04 2002, 05:58

Mike's songs do contain happy things as well, as well as happy music. Songs like Heaven's Open, On Horseback and Holy are all happy, as are pieces such as Far Above the Clouds and all his massive endings. One of the reasons I like his music is the energy and happyness his music contains.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Zywy Offline

Posted: July 04 2002, 08:38

But "If you open your eyes..." "...you will have nothing but peace" (Nothing but)
:)

--------------
I'm half crazy man...
Profile PM 
Zywy Offline

Posted: July 04 2002, 08:38

"Harmony always, when I look around me and your smile I see..."
(Holy)
Don't worry about Mike. I guess he thinks positive.

--------------
I'm half crazy man...
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2002, 06:18

Yeah. Anyone who can do Far Above the Clouds, Heaven's Open and Amarok is very positive

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
9 replies since Dec. 14 2000, 13:35 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net