Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Premieres< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TimHighfield Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 21 2001, 01:24

Hello to all.

I'm sure virtually all of you know that Mike has used some pretty speccy venues for premieres of some of his pieces:

Tubular Bells- Queen Elizabeth Hall
Tubular Bells II- Edinburgh Castle
Tubular Bells III- Horseguards Parade
Millennium Bell- Siegessäule in Berlin

Well, if Mike's going to record another major album in the next two years and is looking for somewhere in the UK to premiere it, I'll just post a bit of a BBC News article when I find it again.

(I would be posting the article now, but NO, BBC News have to take the thing down, remove it from their archives and not let me read it)

Bear with me for a while (hopefully not too long)

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2001, 08:58

I'm still waiting for the BBC News Online mob to reply. Luckily the venue won't be available for a few years.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2001, 00:47

Finally found what I'm looking for:

This is taken from BBC News article dated 18 Jan 2001 http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/entertainment/newsid_1124000/1124180.stm

Pop goes the palace

The Queen could open up the grounds of Buckingham Palace and other royal residences for free pop concerts as part of her 2002 Golden Jubilee celebrations.

The plan emerged as the first proposals for next year's celebrations were outlined by the Home Office.

The royal residences that could be opened include the Queen's official home, Windsor Castle and Holyroodhouse Palace, in Edinburgh

It is not known who would perform at the concert ...

<snip>

...The artists would reflect popular British music over the last half century.

<rest of article deleted; see it yourself at the above link if you want>

How about Mike? The only thing against him really is "popular", but Tubular Bells was popular, wasn't it?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 04 2001, 16:56

I'm sure a copy of Tubular Bells resides somewhere in the CD/LP collection of the royal family...

Perhaps the organisers would have no idea of who was popular anyway wink.

He might find himself playing alongside the spice girls and Des O Connor though, trhem representing the rest of popular British music in the eyes of the people who organise that sort of thing.
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2001, 17:58

Korgscrew said:
I'm sure a copy of Tubular Bells resides somewhere in the CD/LP collection of the royal family...

Well, it better. Apparently the Queen leaves Jeffrey Archer books in the guest bedrooms, so you can make your own mind up about that.

I doubt Mike would be performing with the Spice Girls- the article mentions people like McCartney-Harrison-Starr, Shirley Bassey etc. We can always live in hope anyway.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
4 replies since Jan. 21 2001, 01:24 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net