Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: (Possible) game on Saturday 19th October...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Ugo Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 15 2007, 06:11

If everything goes well, I'd like to host a game on next Saturday, October 19th, at around 11:30 PM (Italian time). I'll either confirm this or cancel it by putting a post here, on Friday night or Saturday morning. For the moment, I'd just like to know how many people could join in. I know that the timing I chose is a bit late :), but hosting a game is something I never did and I'd like to do at least once. It's easy, isn't it? ;)

@ Alan: when someone hosts a game, do they have to enter their own IP (in the starting screen) to be connected? Or does the chat/message window pop up automatically when someone types something in? Or, simply, is it enough to tick the «This computer is a server» box in the starting screen? ;)

If this game happens, I probably won't have an avatar, as I can't drive any of those things. :D I'll just content myself with watching you all assembled in the virtual world, and following you. (Then maybe I'll pick up the kingfisher when I get to it... :D)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2007, 09:58

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 15 2007, 11:11)
If everything goes well, I'd like to host a game on next Saturday, October 19th, at around 11:30 PM (Italian time).

Too late for me, alas.

@ Alan: when someone hosts a game, do they have to enter their own IP (in the starting screen) to be connected? Or does the chat/message window pop up automatically when someone types something in? Or, simply, is it enough to tick the «This computer is a server» box in the starting screen?

It's enough just to tick the 'this computer is a server' box. That's all you need to do. Of course you also need to post your IP here in the forum, or no one will be able to connect to you. (The chat window has nothing to do with this - it appears when you press the TAB key, and if no one is connected it's just blank.)

If this game happens, I probably won't have an avatar, as I can't drive any of those things.

The easiest ones to use are the blue dart and the butterflies, and the little flying insect - they're all easier than the kingfisher. It's worth practising with them (it doesn't take long to get the hang of it, even though you probably don't believe me) as the online games are far more fun if people can see you.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2007, 10:57

Ugo, just a note: as already mentioned a few times, the IP address shown by the game will be wrong (i.e. a private address on your home network) when you are sitting behind a broadband router. Instead, use the address shown by e.g. http://whatismyip.org
If that address is different, you will also have to configure your router to forward incoming packets for the MusicVR port (8.... something - going to fix that when I'm back home...) to your machine's IP address - how to do that depends of course on your router...
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2007, 11:30

@ Alan: if you want, I may do it sooner. At what time(s) are you available? I'd just love to have you in the game. ;)
Also, thanks very very much for the advice about the connection and the avatars. You know very well that I have big driving problems within Tr3s Lunas - learning to fly around properly and gettting to specific places are already big results for me [do you remember how long it took me, last time, just to get to the black moon face in order to play the moon game? It took forever!! :D], so the whole thing gets far more complicated (for me, at least) when I'm driving an avatar. However,  can you please give me the locations in the starting stage (The Origin) for the dart and the butterflies, so maybe I can have a little practice with them before getting in the actual game?

@ A_R_Schulz: I don't think I need to configure my router, as it's automatically configured every time I connect, and the IP stays stable for the whole time I stay connected, so everything that happens on the server is sure to find its way to my machine. Of course I shall use whatismyip.org or .com - I always use that. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2007, 15:11

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 15 2007, 16:30)
@ Alan: if you want, I may do it sooner. At what time(s) are you available?

Actually, since my last post something else has come up - my daughter's staying with us that weekend, and that's quite a rare event, so it's best to leave me out of your calculations this time, Ugo.

However,  can you please give me the locations in the starting stage (The Origin) for the dart and the butterflies, so maybe I can have a little practice with them before getting in the actual game?

Easily done. Everything you need to know about the avatars is here.

I don't think I need to configure my router, as it's automatically configured every time I connect

Andreas is right. You will need to configure your router if you've never hosted a game before. Once it's done, it's done. But you will need to do it in the first instance.

When I needed to do it I asked Colin. This is what he said:

> You have to tell the router to send incoming
> connections to your computer. This is called
> "port forwarding" and how you do it depends on
> the router - see the manual.
>
> MVR uses TCP port 45321 for connections.
>
> Look in the router settings for "port forwarding",
> put "45321" as the port number, select "TCP" as
> the connection type, and put the IP address of your
> computer in the "address" area. That should be it.

Actually for my router that wasn't enough - but it's no use telling you what I did, because yours will be different - unless you have a BT Home Hub.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2007, 16:01

Thanks, Alan. However, I think that all of the router stuff is worthless, as I'm connecting via a modem... :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2007, 19:05

Not sure at 100%, but I think I'll be able to play.

Anyway, isn't October 19th actually Friday?  :p
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 15 2007, 19:08

Oops, you're right. :D Well, the day in which I will (probably) be hosting the game [still to be confirmed!!] is next Saturday, which of course is 20th October. :)

@ Andreas: I obviously forgot to say that I'm not always connected to the Net - my connection happens by means of a modem, which may connect and disconnect wherever I want [if it doesn't disconnect on its own, of course! :p]. I don't actually have a router. This show just how technically ignorant I am, as far as these matters are concerned. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2007, 03:13

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 16 2007, 00:08)
I don't actually have a router.

In that case it should be very straightforward.
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 16 2007, 15:52

I still don't know what I'll be doing on Saturday evening, but if I'm at home and there's a game running, I'll be glad to join.

--------------
...morning and evening i'm flying, i'm dreaming...
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 14:09

Okay, my game-hosting is confirmed. I'll post my IP when I actually open the game... very soon. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 14:16

I'll stay at home this evening, so cu there.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 15:35

Okay everybody... I am home. :D And my home address for tonight is...

If that doesn't work, try 192.168.1.4 ...

@ María: sorry about not typing your name properly when communicating within the game. I don't have the Spanish í on my (Italian) keyboard, so I'll just call you Maria. ;)

P.S. If I get disconnected for any reason, watch this space. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 16:01

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 20 2007, 15:35)
@ María: sorry about not typing your name properly when communicating within the game. I don't have the Spanish í on my (Italian) keyboard, so I'll just call you Maria. ;)

Ok Ugo, no problem :)

Off now to knock on your door.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
gary1eye Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 18:28

Thanks fore the game Ugo sorry that i could not stay longer. Glad that you enjoy yourself, and finding out a few new "tricks"

So until we meet again on line bye for now.

Gary :)
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 19:01

Thank u so much for a delicious and relaxing evening flight.

Ugo is a gentle host and his home is very cozy :) It's been very nice to meet Trinidad and Gary there as well

I'll check up the pics I've shot and if there's something nice, I'll post them in the gallery.

Cu all soon again!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 19:03

Game's over now. I just wanted to thank María [you see? NOW I'm spelling it right!! :D], Trinidad and Gary for the beautiful, beautiful game. I've been to places I've never seen before (the canyon, and the green sea/red rocks path to the sparkling obelisk) and I found them all wonderful. Plus, I had lots & lots & lots of fun chasing you around the underwater castle and chattin' about scuba diving. :D  I didn't exactly understand what comes after the canyon [i.e. where do you go when you get at the waterfall? I only found a tunnel that leads to the dolphins!!] but I guess I'll try again next time. María, if you could post a picture of where I should go, that would be really cool. :cool:

Now I'm posting a couple of new topics here... one about a new game I'll be hosting tomorrow night, starting from 11:30 PM Italian time (still to be confirmed, of course), and one about a theory of mine regarding the mysterious writing on the Celtic cross in the forest. I'll be very glad, of course, if anyone replies... ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 19:17

Quote (Ugo @ Oct. 21 2007, 01:03)
I didn't exactly understand what comes after the canyon [i.e. where do you go when you get at the waterfall? I only found a tunnel that leads to the dolphins!!

Yes, that's it, Ugo. It's that tunnel where you're supposed to go.

Unusual game, specially regarding to the avatars. We managed to be 3 using the same avatar, the humming bird, which was controlled by Ugo, but María and I jumped onto it, and got stuck, while Ugo was moving. Quite funny.

And also, I parked the blue moth near stonehenge, got the firebeing, and then saw the blue moth moving alone near the cactus, with nobody controlling it  :O . Then María took the firebeing, and I could find the moth where I left it. Very strange.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 20:03

Quote (Trinidad @ Oct. 21 2007, 01:17)
Unusual game, specially regarding to the avatars. We managed to be 3 using the same avatar, the humming bird, which was controlled by Ugo, but María and I jumped onto it, and got stuck, while Ugo was moving. Quite funny.

I think that the avatars can be actually controlled only by one person, so if anyone tries to take control of an avatar which is already owned/controlled/driven [dang, I can't ever manage to find the right word!! :laugh:] by someone else, it won't move - which looks rather obvious to me. :) However, what actually does look weird to me is the fact that both of you [Maria and Trinidad] lost your respective avatars after you reached the table by the canyon, and you didn't manage to get control of them again. Yet I could clearly see both of them them while I was waiting for you to go inside the canyon - they were actually hanging/hovering over the table, and they just looked lifeless! :D So I guess it's just another of those hulaballoo, crazy, loony things that happen while playing Tr3s Lunas online... :)

However, thanks again for playing with me, and see you again tomorrow night - hopefully. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
maria Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2007, 20:24

As I explained on one of the pictures I've just posted on the gallery, what happened to me is that I got "glued" to the humming bird when I was flying with the firebeing over it, and I was locked to the little avatar and lost the firebeing. Actually, what I could see is the humming bird as if I were controlling it, but of course I wasn't. I was not even able to move or leave the humming bird, dragged and dizzy with all just moving around :D  I don't know.. yes, as u said, one of those weird things that sometimes happens in tr3s lunas.

I don't think I'll be able to join tomorrow cause I'll be off for dinner, but I hope there will be some other chance soon, maybe in the next weekend. We'll speak about.

Ciao for now!!

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
22 replies since Oct. 15 2007, 06:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net