Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Positive aspects of new album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Chicular Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 13 2005, 15:48

Ok so a lot of users are already voicing their dislike of Light and Shade.  The new excerpts have come in for heavy criticism from some quarters so i thought i'd share my view on some particularly positive aspects of the new album.

Blackbird - A track made purely for Piano and featuring only Piano.  This is something to lick the lips at.

The Gate - A track about War, surely of epic proportions.

Quiksilver - A track about dolphins with an aquatic feel.  Having heard previous water themed Mike Oldfield tunes like Santa Maria and Moonwatch i'm really looking forward to it.

Tears of an Angel - Surely one of the darker tracks.  About the sadness of his daughter Molly.  I'm looking at a track with changes in mood and reflection.

Romance - A track with Spanish Guitar, the darker side of Romance.  surely a cracker waiting to be unleashed.

Ok so my opinions are based on comments from Mike so we can't be sure of track quality but i'm certainly going to be optimistic and say these will be album stealers.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2005, 20:15

Quote (Chicular @ Aug. 13 2005, 21:48)
Having heard previous water themed Mike Oldfield tunes like Santa Maria and Moonwatch i'm really looking forward to it.

What about QE2, The Lake and Oceania? ;)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
mikex Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2005, 08:23

The majority of what I read on Mike Oldfield mailing lists and forums is how bad the new tracks sound. It is very sad indeed. I personally love everything Mike has done and am looking forward to Light and Shade a great deal.

The samples that I have heard sound good and with a double album coming up I am sure there will be a great deal of wonderful stuff on there.

I think Mike looks great with his new image, again reinventing himself and I am very fond of his new sound and the way his music is progressing.

Of course everyone is entitled to their own opinion, sure, but it would be so nice to hear some positive things about Mike. It is soul destroying to keep reading things like 'he is going through a mid-life crisis' and 'these tracks don't show anything new'. We must bear in mind that the new album will sound very fresh to those who have not heard the MVR music.

Roll on 26/9!  :D

--------------
Anthropolologee, upstairs and inside a revelation is blinking well baffling!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2005, 08:38

Here's a positive aspect: it's a double album. The first since "Incantations" (if I recall correctly). If half of the tracks are bad and half are great, it could still be like having one great new album.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
theweightless Offline

Posted: Aug. 15 2005, 08:57

i don't get the negativity, well maybe i'm too optimistic, i realized that after tb2003

anyway..Always Look on the Bright Side of Life :music:

--------------
ASMK
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 01:10

This album is going to be BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 04:05

Quote (TubularBelle @ Aug. 16 2005, 07:10)
This album is going to be BRILLIANT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How's that?

Not bad.   ;)
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 13:30

However good or bad the rest of the album may turn out to be it will at least contain the owl flight guitar solo from MVR, its the best guitar solo he's writen in a long, long time (although Berlin 2000 was good too). I wonder if he's rerecorded it for the album.
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2005, 19:13

Quote (TOBY @ Aug. 16 2005, 19:30)
I wonder if he's rerecorded it for the album.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if those 4 tracks to be available in u-myx format are those based on Tres Lunas/Maestro snippets.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since Aug. 13 2005, 15:48 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net