Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Porky was the best/HR '74 is Life!, A Christmas gift< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 08 2008, 19:16

To me, the proverbial "perfect" mix of the album would be somewhere in between the two of them. The original has a couple of jarring elements which do sound a bit tacked on - that early climax seems to come out of nowhere, and the rising organ chord halfway into part one is a complete trainwreck. However, the remix unnecessarily eliminates some elements, like the acoustic guitar playing the melody in the beginning, among other things. The lack of melody so early in the album makes it take a while to really take off.

Other flaws in the original mix are the voices in part two - I can understand not putting them in front of the whole mix, but burying them all the way into oblivion? - and the famous stürm und drang section, which inexplicably seems to step into a cardboard box just before it starts. They're considerably small complaints, though. And in effect, both mixes of the album have a certain aura of incompleteness to them, which does not detract from its charm - on the contrary. After all, the excessive polish is one of the things that makes Ommadawn less enjoyable than Hergest Ridge, to me.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 11 2008, 04:55

LOL, Sir M, I was with you all the way until the comment about Ommadawn being less enjoyable than HR.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2008, 11:01

I stumbled upon a copyof the original HR for £2.50 in a record second hand record store.The guy looked at me like i was mad when i asked to see the label to check it was the original Roger Dean label and not a later design.I had the cd edition and Boxed and read that the original had been remixed by MO and tracks had been erased but din't realise the severity untill i played the original version and was frankly stunned.The original has so many more layers and more depth than the remix,which i rarely listen to now as it seems somehow colder.So my point is,yes it was Mike's right to remix as he saw fit but somehow dare i say petulant to remove the right of the general public to choose which they like best on all future pressings.After all is this not ewhy Boxed was produced?I saw a copy signed by Tom Newman on which he wrote "the best mix".Can't argue with Fine Old Tom. ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2008, 13:08

@tommy139, I've put a present up on Rapidshare for you.

http://rapidshare.com/files/86289283/hergest__orch_.rar.html

I hope you enjoy it.
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2008, 13:20

I didn't realise this had already been put up, Sorry folks.
Profile PM 
Tommy139 Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2008, 15:37

Quote (Mark @ Jan. 24 2008, 13:20)
I didn't realise this had already been put up, Sorry folks.

Many thanks for the kind gesture.... Much appreciated.  :)
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2008, 16:23

You're welcome tommy.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2008, 12:04

Is that the same recording? It seems slightly different in certain sections than the one I put on Rapidshare on Jan 8. Seems like some of the guitar playing is different. Listen to both versions and tell me if I'm mistaken. The version I've got, I have no idea what year it was recorded or where it was recorded:

http://rapidshare.com/files....p3.html

Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2008, 15:27

To be honest, I've had that copy for quite a few years, but I've never listened to it because I'm not a fan of Hergest Ridge. The reason I joined the thread was because I saw the Porky reference.

I always loved the little messages he left in the LP/Single leadout. My favorite was a Monty Python LP, (instant record collection I think), and the message was,

"Dear mom, cutting another python record, will be late home for tea, love Porky"

Silly I know, but it really cracked me up!
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2008, 16:59

I did some research on Porky Peckham(sp). There was a "3 sided" LP he did from Monty Python. One side had 2 sets of grooves and depending on how you put the needle down you got one of two tracks. Pretty cool. And both sides were labeled "side 2". That must have been a job, engineering that double grooved side.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Mark Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2008, 08:50

Yes, that was also the Instant Record Collection. It was a sod to get the right track without damaging the disc, but it was indeed a real technical achievement.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 26 2008, 22:12

Yeah, the fun thing about my search for the '74 UK Porky HR was finding out about Porky. These days you can make a CD in your home from start to finish. In those days it had to be a team effort to get a recording out. Porky was a team player who was the best at what he did and got to hang out with the most elite of the rock community. I'm sure with his Apple connection, he probably even hung out with Alan Parsons.
Jim

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Bleat Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 18:57

Thanks for sharing scatterplot.I downloaded this out of interest to have a listen to.

I think i might be in a minority here, but "in my own personal humble and possibly innacurate then again maybe not"opinion,I find it now far too busy in part 1...I think I can see why a lot of stuff was mixed out later on. I have the normal cd version and I love the sparse nature of the mix on it......more relaxing to listen to...just too many bits n pieces  upfront now.....in its defence however,part 2 is actually quite nice.

James.
:cool:
Profile PM 
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 03 2009, 02:40

I haven't listened to Hergest Ridge (original or remixed) ages, but decided to listen to it this afternoon. Forgot I had both versions. I still can't get over the clarity of the original compared to the emptiness of the remix. I always liked the album, but the original feels so much more alive. :)

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
33 replies since Dec. 23 2007, 05:49 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net