Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 17:00

Please,I need help:
I can´t see the enhanced CD
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 29 2005, 17:58

Do what I did: get a Mac.

No, this is not Apple computer sales propaganda. The fact is that Apple Macintosh computers that will play this enhanced CD have been around for quite a while now. With no effort, I found someone giving one away one of the older ones. I now have it just for the only purpose of viewing the enhanced CD.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 16:46

See this thread. I haven't tried that yet, though...

amazarak

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
Woman in the rain Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: Sep. 30 2005, 21:09

i can´t get a Mac,in any case,i´m going to try it.
Thanks ;)
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 10:09

OK, so I've tried all those Basilisks and related stuff, and I finally managed to launch an emulated Mac with MacOS 7.5.5 on my Windows XP box. I still can't play the mac-part of my TSODE, though :/ (audio section works fine). I own '95 edition (there were 2 editions, AFAIK), and I suspect, that the problem is, that the CD is recorded in the format that is not supported by my version of MacOS.
Is there anyone, who owns a Mac with MacOS 7.x and managed to play the additional contents of the '95 TSODE?

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 11:16

What picture is on the cover of your SODE cd? If it has a flying mantis it is not the enhanced version If it has a guy with some glowing bricks/blocks, it is the enhanced version.
amazarak Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 11:36

It surely is an enhanced vesion, because it contains an additional track, than I can't play on my cd-player (not in computer, but stand-alone). The guy with glowing balls is also there :D. The problem is, that my (emulated) Mac recognises the cd as the audio only - when I insert the cd, an audio-cd icon appears. The apple cd player also does not recognize any additional contents on the cd. I just want to know, wether it is the matter of MacOS version, i.e. wether there is anyone, who managed to play the enhanced contents of the cd with MacOS 7.x (on a real Mac)

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 19:08

Because they do such complicated things? Would not it be easier to be able to see it in any computer without having to be Mac?

What the marqueting does...
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 19:21

Yes. By making it only run on an obscure machine few have, it is like they did not care that few would be able to see the content. At least he did not do something similar with the music itself (like release it only on ADAT tape! )

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 19:48

I have not seen any mac to the sale, in fact I am not very informed if still they continue selling them...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 21:43

An ADAT version would have been great - U-Myx 90s style...

Anyway, to answer your question, amazarak, it should run fine under any version of System 7. System 7.5 would have come out a little while after TSODE, so it ought to run fine under that (I remember doing so myself). I would suspect that your problem is with the emulator, but...there are some other possibilities, though this is requiring me to cast my mind back and remember details which really shouldn't still be floating around in my head! There were some extensions (the things you'll find in System Folder > Extensions - you can also see which ones you have, and turn them on and off using the Extensions Manager control panel, which you can reach via the Apple menu, or System Folder > Control Panels) which governed what kinds of CD could be read. This is where my memory gets foggy, but there might well be one which enables the system to read enhanced CDs like the TSODE one. If you can't find any information on that, I'll take a look and see what I can dig up for you. It might be best to send me a PM about it if you want really in depth advice, unless there's anyone else here who's interested in that kind of thing...

I think a big reason for it being released for the Mac was that Mike was using one to develop it. I seem to remember Apple pushing technologies like Quicktime quite heavily, in an attempt to attract multimedia developers away from Windows 3.1, which might have played a part. I seem to remember other similar things being released only for the Mac at around that time.
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 21:48

I obtained several enhanced CD's around this time. Only TSODE was for the Mac.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 01 2005, 23:18

I guess I was a bit unclear in my wording - I was actually thinking more of multimedia projects in general. The primary one in my mind was Myst - ported to Windows about a year later, but developed on the Mac platform. That game was a pretty big inspiration for Mike, I believe.

There was also Peter Gabriel's Xplora 1, which if mike had taken it as inspiration for his projects, could have resulted in very interesting things...

I did actually have another Enhanced CD in mind too (I just said there were some, not many!), but it's far to embarassing to admit having actually used it (even if it did belong to a friend...).

But yes, there's no doubt that more software is released for Windows, enhanced CDs included, and has been for a very long time. It would be nice to see future things in the vein of the TSODE content being made as non platform dependent as possible.
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 09:02

Quote (Korgscrew @ Oct. 02 2005, 03:43)
There were some extensions (the things you'll find in System Folder > Extensions - you can also see which ones you have, and turn them on and off using the Extensions Manager control panel, which you can reach via the Apple menu, or System Folder > Control Panels) which governed what kinds of CD could be read. This is where my memory gets foggy, but there might well be one which enables the system to read enhanced CDs like the TSODE one.

Thanks very much for Your reply.

I've fount the folder with extensions which You mention, and I suspected, that it's purpose is just like You write, but thanks to You, I am sure now. My extensions folder contains some entries concerning cd-rom access, which are:
1) Apple CD-ROM
2) Audio-CD access
3) ISO-9660 File Access
4) High Sierra File Access (?)
There is also whole bunch of other extensions, but I think only these concern CD-ROM. Only the first one is visible in Extensions Manager, though. The first thought I got, was to remove Audio-CD access plugin from the extensions folder, because this one's presence may fool the Mac about the CD format. Unfortunately, after that, the only thing I got was the messsage about unreadable CD. So now I suspect, that in order to read TSODE, I'll need a plugin called "Enhanced Cd access". I'll try to search Apple's website for such extension, but I've already searched this site for some enhanced cd stuff before, and I don't remember ecountering anything like that...
It would be very nice if You could found some time to "dig up" more information on the topic, because if I manage to launch TSODE, I think I would be able to prepare pre-configured Basilisk distribution which would allow all Mike's fans who use Windows to play their TSODE.

Best wishes
amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 10:14

And finally...
I DID IT  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: !!!

I launched TSODE under windows, using Basilisk. The problem seems to be, that I've been using my brand new Toshiba DVD writer. When I used my old DVD-ROM drive instead, the Mac recognized the CD properly! Still the performance is not good, maybe because I can't get Basilisk run at fullscreen under my Windows XP. I'll check wether it works under Windows 98... I'll try to prepare as small as possible MacOS installation (current has about 100 MB) and let You all know. It should be ready within few days.

Seeya
amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 13:14

The package is ready.
It contains detailed instructions on how to run TSODE under windows.
You can get it by two ways:
Through http
By Emule or compat:
ed2k://|file|TSODE_under_windows.zip|4988255|22B5B9AA22AB7D916DD9077BD6FEC628|h=MSFUS4VJ6J42OVNX2YHL3PH3XMH6VFP4|/

If You face problems with the package, please let me know.
Enjoy.

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 

Posted: Oct. 02 2005, 16:40

Thanks,amazarak ;)
Profile PM 
numpky Offline

Posted: Mar. 08 2006, 18:07

hi....i'm a bit late with this information, but the video's off t.s.o.d.e. are available to download from peer to peer sites such as ......e.donkey, lime wire, etc, for those without a mac.
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2006, 12:24

videos yes, but not "interactive" content, imho
(i haven't downloaded that stuff, so I am not 100% sure)

amazarak

--------------
Profile PM 
18 replies since Sep. 29 2005, 17:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net