Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: pleaecopy protected!, please help< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Incantations2085 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 24 2003, 10:13

please help me to understant exactly what is copy protection?
do not copy on pcs?i copied in my hard disc?what?
do not copy on other cds?
please!

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2003, 17:09

It is a mechanism which does not allow the extraction of tracks from a CD being played a computer's CD player - when you insert the CD in the player, a built-in software starts, and it plays lower-quality versions of the songs. In this way, the music cannot be transformed into mp3 files to be stored on a PC's hard disk. It also forbids you to copy the CD on another one, since the proper music tracks on the CD cannot be read. I hope I was clear enough. :) There are various ways of overriding this mechanism, but of course I'm not listing any of them here. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 25 2003, 08:54

In the case of the protection employed on Tubular Bells 2003, it's better explained as a twisted version of the CD format, which theoretically makes it unplayable to PCs. That's often not true, and on the flipside, it can make it unplayable to non-PC devices (CD players, DVD players and so on).

Much of it works by them corrupting various parts of the data on the disc - as far as I'm aware, the table of contents is their main target. It tells the player that the tracks are shorter than they really are, the idea being that a CD player will read past the end of the track, find there's still something there and keep going, while a PC CD ROM drive won't. There are many CD ROM (and other CD capable drives, I won't list them all! ) which actually will read past the 'end' like the CD players do (but I should say that not all CD players do - that's one of the sources of problems with this form of copy protection), which renders that little trick ineffective. The problem is that the system relies on every PC and every CD player working in the way the system's makers expect them to, and they don't.
The other trick is having a second session on the disc, containing computer data - this is where the player software, and the low quality compressed files are stored. The idea is that the computer will skip to this part, the player will launch, and the user won't have any way of copying the disc...that's not always how it happens, of course.

Incidentally, there's some evidence to suggest that there might be a few dirty tricks being employed in the software. The most suspicious thing in my view is the fact that it'll install files without any warning (though I believe not if the user has autoplay turned off). I've heard from several people who've had various problems with playing MP3 files after the installer has run. I don't have any information on what is actually installed, so I can't even begin to tell what's going on here.
Several others have reported that the software has messed with their system settings, some even to the point where they've had to erase their hard drive and reinstall the entire system to get it working again. Others, meanwhile, have not had the disc install anything - I think it's not unlikely that there is more than one version of the disc.
I should say that I've had no personal experience with the software on the disc, as I don't own any Windows machines myself, and got rid of the disc before I'd thought to try it out elsewhere.
If anyone out there has had any bad experiences with the software on Tubular Bells 2003, I would, as always, be interested to hear.

A final trick they employ is to introduce a certain amount of deliberate digital errors into the audio. They knock out small portions of the data, which in theory can be compensated for by the CD player, but will be magnified if the disc is copied (particularly at high speed), leading to all manner of nasty noises in the audio. Perhaps it seemed like a good idea to them, but not only does it reduce the quality of the disc no matter what it's played in (though how many people notice is a different matter - their assumption is that not many will), but some players have lower tolerances for various reasons, and so the original disc plays with distracting clicks and pops, or sounds distorted.

You could also take a look at this page of mine, though I think I've said most of what's there already.
Profile PM 
Galaxy Bounce
Unregistered

Posted: Oct. 26 2003, 03:48

I have a mac and I can rip the music perfectly!
MO fan Offline

Posted: Oct. 26 2003, 13:52

Well I think we all know now how bad copy protection is to us and the music industry.

And if Mike tries this one again on his next album, he will be minus a lot less fans and more importantly going by his recent Gaurdian Interview, a lot less money & profit in his pocket.

Well and truly sick of Copy Protection.

MO fan  :(
Profile PM 
Incantations2085 Offline

Posted: Oct. 28 2003, 07:10

thanks!

--------------
Reaching through the dark, do you have to go??
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 29 2003, 04:46

CNN (iirc) has reported that a student found out how to skip the software copy-protection: holding the SHIFT key when you insert the CD! Now how's that for pathetic?

Unforunately, that doesn't work with Copy-Protectular Bells 2003.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Oct. 29 2003, 19:46

here's a reply I'm going to use a lot - I have a written letter from Mike's secratary back in the 80's stating that Mike has objected to many of the things Virgin and it's subsideries have done, but he has no control over them. At the time she referred to compilations, but the same is true now of copy (YEAH RIGHT) protection.
And it seems he hasn't learned the lesson with warner.
The best way to make sure is not to but the stuff and complain to the record companies.
Money talks, and if they don't get any money they might just listen.
:(

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Oct. 30 2003, 05:13

Except the same isn't totally true with copy protection as he actually agreed to it. They'd probably have put it on there anyway even if he hadn't agreed, but he did say yes when they asked (according to him...).

The information provided by Macrovision on the CDS system is extremely vague, and makes it look like an excellent thing for anyone to have on their albums. I'd imagine that, if they didn't give Mike Macrovision's literature, they told him something similar (or something even more vague, like "It just stops people from copying it").
The truth about the system is out here. Mike has had a chance to read it...and had a chance to read it before he spoke to the Guardian and pretended he had read it all! We shall see whether it influences his decisions in future or not...
Profile PM 
YODA
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 11 2003, 18:08

Yes, wait and see, shall we
whether copy protection shall go down the swanee.

Enough we sigh, no more, say we
or no more money goes to the companee.
9 replies since Oct. 24 2003, 10:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net