Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Playing MOTS live, Will you need to amplify the Guitar?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Matt Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 20 2008, 05:23

Looking forward to hearing reports of the premiere event currently being planned, I have been wondering how the live orchestral version will sound.

Listening to the bits of Music of the Spheres I have heard so far, I can imagine (with my limited knowledge of orchestral music! ) that with careful conducting the volumes of various parts of the orchestra and the sounds could be lovely and, while not the same as the album version, probably very pleasant to listen to. The exception to this is the guitar, which Mike understandably puts quite loud within the Mix. Am I right in thinking this would be hard to pull off live without additional amplification of the guitar?

Is it "banned" to have any amplification when playing classical music like this? Or maybe just frowned upon?

Anybody with more experience of orchestras etc. have any thoughts?

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Feb. 21 2008, 10:24

OK, a bit sad replying to my own posts I know but since nobody else seems interested I'll add a bit more :p

Some more web investigation suggests there is plenty of precedent for amplifying classical guitar when played with an orchestra. This link for instance has lots of interesting info.

So my guess is there is no doubt Mikes guitar will be amplified at the premiere and any other future perfomances of MOTS. As I mentioned above, I also suspect they won't need anything else other than careful rehearsal and a good conductor to sort out the rest of the orchestra. I am sure Haley can hold her own in a venue like that without additional amplification!

--------------
"I say I say I say I say, what's got three bottles and five eyes and no legs and two wheels"
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 21 2008, 11:15

Hi Matt.
  The way an orchestra is construced is specifcally to ensure a balanced sound.Now a classical guitar,while quiet loud by design,will not carry enough to over power an orchestra and be heard in a live situation.
   Thankfully amplification of such instruments now is very advanced and the natural sound of the instrument can be very effectively reproduced.There are examples of Mike playing classical guitar live and i think you'll agree that the results sound very close to the sound of an unamplified instrument.Hope this is of some use. :)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Feb. 21 2008, 21:36

I did actually try quizzing someone about what the setup would be like (out of a potential need to know rather than just geeky curiosity! ), but ended up being told about the plans to record it rather than what kind of sound reinforcement would be in place (it wasn't a technical person I was speaking to, and the answer sort of did answer my question, so I didn't pursue it any further).

The Guggenheim isn't a particularly big venue audience-wise, but it's of course not designed as a concert hall, so it might turn out to have acoustics that really don't help to support the sound of a soloist (and besides, the issues already mentioned definitely apply), so I definitely think that at least Mike's guitar will be amplified. There's a fair chance that they might even run absolutely everything through the desk, especially if Mike has any say in how things are done - he seems to like that level of control being available.

Amplification certainly does get used for classical performances - I went to a performance of Berlioz's Te Deum at the Albert Hall last year where the choir was amplified. I have no idea why, really; it was a large choir and I really didn't think it seemed necessary, though I can only suppose that the concern was balancing the sound with the organ. Still, I can't say I liked it - the sound was rather bright and seemed to obviously come from the overhead speaker arrays rather than from the stage, which I found rather disturbing. It doesn't have to be that way, of course, it just needs a little care taken in balancing things right.

Pieces can of course be arranged so as not to give the guitar quite so much of a hard time (which Music of the Spheres hasn't been), but to get the guitar really up front like it is in most recordings, there isn't really any option other than amplifying the guitar (or putting the orchestra in another room ;)).
Profile PM 
Matt Offline

Posted: Feb. 22 2008, 05:05

Thanks for the replies chaps. It will be interesting to hear reports of exactly what they end up doing for the premiere event. While its a nice idea to think of them trying to keep a natural sound I suspect Korgscrew might have a point about what Mike would prefer in terms of control! I imagine they'll "do things" to the balance of the recording so even if we get a chance to hear that it won't necessarily inform us as to how it sounded live. First hand reports will be what we'll need...

I would like to one day hear it live. As I said in the first post, listening to snippets of MOTS I can't see a reason why it *shouldn't* sound great with some careful conducting and practice to get a good balance - with the exception of the guitar which everyone seems to agree must have some amplification.

--------------
Profile PM 
4 replies since Feb. 20 2008, 05:23 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net