Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Playing a Bodrhan????< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
moonchildhippy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 05:26

Hi there,

Went and bought myself a bodrhan (is that the correct spelling?) yesterday. (Iv'e always liked to try and be musical). I played some of my Elements DVD, as Mike plays a bodrhan on Portsmouth.  I'm not sure of the correct way to hold the stick and to play the drum.  In the film Mike appears to hold the stick between his two forefingers and thumb, but I couldn't make it out for sure, and the movement appears to be from his wrist.

Can any musicians please advise me on this.

Many thanks

Moonchildhippy
    :) .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 06:08

I simply cannot believe this!!!! This has to be synchronicity (referring to another thread here) Moonchildhippy, I have been considering doing just the same as you and infact only last Thursday bought myself a bodrhan in Cambridge. It's something I have always wanted to do but never thought I could. Now I am of a certain age I'm thinking what the hell (apologies for bad language) and just having a go at whatever I feel like!! Very liberating!!

So, I have no idea how to get started, but love the sound it makes. Someone I know who lives locally to me is going to give me a few tips to get started. I'll let you know how I get on, perhaps you'lll do the same. My children are quite interested too, but my poor husband raised his eyes towards the ceiling when he saw it (He will be out on his bicycle a little more than usual!!;)

Good luck, hope you have fun learning!

bee :)

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 06:58

Moonchild and bee, the Wikipedia page should give you some tips.

Handy site, Wikipedia. Pretty good page on Mike, as well.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 07:31

My brother bought me a bodhran for my birthday last month.  I've had two or three people show me the basics, but I still haven't got much of a clue.  It's not the easiest of percussion instruments, that's for sure!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2005, 07:55

I seem to remember someone saying a long time ago that Mike has a special, unusual technique for playing the Bodhrán; however, I have no idea if this is true. Just thought I'd tell you so you don't pick up any bad habits from Mike. ;)

Edit: here, I found it. Originally posted by Blue Dolphin:
If you have seen the making of Blue Peter, you will hear that Mike has a special method of playing the bodhran. He hits the metal stoods of the bodhran, so that it gives a unique sound. And you always hear on his records that he uses the same technique..
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 25 2005, 20:12

Quote (bee @ Aug. 24 2005, 11:08)
I simply cannot believe this!!!! This has to be synchronicity (referring to another thread here) Moonchildhippy, I have been considering doing just the same as you and infact only last Thursday bought myself a bodrhan in Cambridge. It's something I have always wanted to do but never thought I could. Now I am of a certain age I'm thinking what the hell (apologies for bad language) and just having a go at whatever I feel like!! Very liberating!!

So, I have no idea how to get started, but love the sound it makes. Someone I know who lives locally to me is going to give me a few tips to get started. I'll let you know how I get on, perhaps you'lll do the same. My children are quite interested too, but my poor husband raised his eyes towards the ceiling when he saw it (He will be out on his bicycle a little more than usual!!;)

Good luck, hope you have fun learning!

bee :)

Synchronicity indeed Bee.  I'm having fun learning to play my bodhran, much to my husband's annoyance, I know it's going to take time to get the rythym and  playing technique right,  (my husband should be thankful that I didn't come home with a theremin  :laugh: ). I never get the opportunity to get the house to myself, as my husband has a progressive form of MS, needs 24 hour care, very exhausting,9 don't seem to have a norml husban/wife relationship:( ).  Go for it Bee, you're never to old.

Have a friend Lee, he can play a bodrhan, but he's gone up to Lindisfarne and on to Edinburgh for a few days in his camper van (coming back with some Lindisfarne Mead though :) YIPPEE!!!;).  I'll let you know how things progress.

Many thanks for the link to the Wilkepedia pages Raven, seem to look on there or one thing, and end up somewhere different.

Many thanks folke for the replies so far :)

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
JBG Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 15:26

Hi There

There are many ways to play the Bodhran, but the beater is held between thumb and 2nd finger like a pen.
Hold the drum at the back and use your hand to eithe play open or to damp the skin.
Mike will multi track the bodhran 4 or more times to create a sort of echo effect and will also play the studs and wood to create a more percussive sound, these are mixed together so makes quite a unique sound, hard to create on your own live, this technique is demonstrated on the making of the blue peter video

I have found in the past a very good site that will teach you how to play, if I can find it again I will post a link

Cheers

JBG

--------------
The mark of a good musician is if you can play one note and mean it ....
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 17:12

I play the bodhrán too. Indeed, I use to play it at the Jam Sessions on fan meetings here in Spain. There is a video on e-mule  that shows the whole Jam Session at the last Fan Meeting in Madrid. It features Viper on guitar, PokeGold on keboard/vocoder (MicroKorg), David Bazo (member of Amadian celtic music band) with the fiddle and me playing the bodhrán and other percussions.

e-link follows:
Jam Session at Mike Oldfield Fan Meeting Madrid 2005
ed2k://|file|Mike.Oldfield.Fan.Meeting.Madrid.2005.[Jam.Session].[ESP.XviD.1.1.0+MP3].[by.Viper].av
i|733993148|8FAE203FD94EDF3DC6AE86C3A1C3A85B|h=VNZNTT2RRSXXCPDAWDGQL3LCIIXGVZ2A|/

Hope you'll like it! ;-)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
My homepage - www.thewayfarer.info
My search - www.cannotbefound.com
My community - www.taurusiv.net
My luthier - www.artluthier.com
Profile PM WEB 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: Aug. 26 2005, 19:16

Quote (JBG @ Aug. 26 2005, 20:26)
Hi There

There are many ways to play the Bodhran, but the beater is held between thumb and 2nd finger like a pen.
Hold the drum at the back and use your hand to eithe play open or to damp the skin.
Mike will multi track the bodhran 4 or more times to create a sort of echo effect and will also play the studs and wood to create a more percussive sound, these are mixed together so makes quite a unique sound, hard to create on your own live, this technique is demonstrated on the making of the blue peter video

I have found in the past a very good site that will teach you how to play, if I can find it again I will post a link

Cheers

JBG

Hi JBG, Welcome to TubularBoard,

Thanks for the advice.  Do you know where I can find the making of the Blue Peter video, please?

Hi Wayfarer thanks for the jam link, but unfortunately it doesn't work.  Will have to check out Amaidian webby. Are there music samples on there, sounds interesting :)  :D .

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
Tansy Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2005, 06:30

Moonchildhippy & Bee,wishing you ever so much good luck with the Bodhran playing.I'ts great to know whenever someone decides to tackle a new musical instrument.I'd also love to see the video from the e mule link that wayfarer posted but had no luck.
My technical knowledge is very limited as I came into the world of computers very late(only been on line since March this year)and busy life prevents from spending all the time I'd like in being able to concentrate on pc know how.Anyway,not so long ago I went to visit an amazing character who has a music shop in my locality.He repairs & sells musical instruments and will always take time to chat,demonstrate,ect he's a former bassist but has an extensive knowledge on lots of instruments.When I walked into the shop he had a Bodrhan sitting on display & upon request picked it up & went right into it.Was the first time I'd ever seen one played live as such - amazing :)
Profile PM 
bee Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2005, 13:48

Still at it!! And loving every minute. I haven't the faintest idea if I'm doing it right but it's very satisfying.

Thank you to everyone who has offered advice in one shape or another. The Wikipedia link was interesting ( and very useful for other stuff too) so thanks raven4x4x and JBG very helpful indeed was your description of how to get started.

One question, what on this earth is emule????? It looks massively complicated, I'd love to see the jam seesion you mentioned, Wayfarer, but I am utterly perplexed by this e mule?? Is it anything scary??

bee

--------------
....second to the right and straight on till morning....

You heard me before
Yet you hear me again
Then I die
Till I call me again
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 31 2005, 17:36

Quote (bee @ Aug. 28 2005, 19:48)
One question, what on this earth is emule????? It looks massively complicated, I'd love to see the jam seesion you mentioned, Wayfarer, but I am utterly perplexed by this e mule?? Is it anything scary??

Well, eMule is a P2P (Peer to Peer) file sharing client. It allows you to share your files with your friends or even with complete strangers. Each file is identified by what is known as an eLink (see my post above). The eLink allows you to download the referred file through eMule client. Also it has the ability to search files by name and type (archive, audio, video, document, etc). eMule is very popular in Spain and Italy.

Hope it'll be clear now.

-- Wayfarer

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2006, 08:56

:D

I'm bidding (again) for one on eBay, I thought it would be good as a birthday present, but I couldn't wait until June! :)

I can imagine it being good fun, my personal challenge for the summer is to play it on my unicycle ( still haven't got round to learning how to ride it! )

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2006, 16:20

Playing the Bodhran  - pronounced Bohr-ran.
I started learning in 1976 after hearing incantaions and since then have played in a ceilidh band and have about 4 or 5 Bodhrans.

If you are a beginner you may be tempted to get a fixed skin version but as you move to playing more or playing with a group or gigs you will find the skin tightness varies with the amount of dancing the crowd are doing, ie the teperature of the room.  So you need to have a cloth and a glass of water to damped the back of the skin to make it less tight.  In teaching Bodhran sessions I find that begniners tend to have their skins too tight (also their drum skins . :D ) and grip the beater (thats the stick) to tight.

So start to play by holding the drum with you hands on the back of the skin bridging your hand under the wooden cross piece, so that you can alter the tightness of the drum skin (you can only do this if the skin is not too tight).  Hold your hand at the top of the drum not in the middle - this way your base of your thumb supports the weight of it and it is easier to freely move your fingers to create and release tension on the skin.

Ther best thing to have is an adjustable drum skin tension - I find this is the only type that you can really control the skin tension - but may be a bit tricky or expensive for a beginner (I started with a cardbord box and  a stick with tape on the ends - this is also a good improivised instrument for parties when you are cought without your drum.!!!;)

The beater needs to be held loosly so it casn flop about - grip it like a pencil just on the further wayside of the middle (ie further away from where the pencil tip would be).  Keep your forarm parallel with the drum skin, relax your wrist and let it bend between 45 and 90degrees from straight, then flick your arm and wrist as if you were trying to reset a themometer!!  

Dont try to double hit initially that will come automatically when you get the action right.

The special technique refered to by the blue peter chap was just him being ignorant to bodran playing - it is a well known technique to turn the drum by 90 degrees and clack the sides - where there are often studs to fasten the skin to the wood frame - this make a very nice clacking sound.  Any more questions lert me know.    Yoiu can also try a brush beater - this has stiff bristles on the ends (eitherr one or both) you can get a snare drum sound from this.  The beater sizer is inportant - longer  = slower, shorter = quicker beats.

Regards

Ray
:cool:

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2006, 17:32

There seems to be a gazillion different ways to play the thing.
Find a method that works for you and practice!
emac.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Mar. 17 2006, 18:29

wow - you sound exactly like my chemistry teacher - are you a chemistry teacher??   :D   :laugh:

Ray

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
emac Offline

Posted: Mar. 19 2006, 18:36

Nah! just a lazy muso...
Profile PM 
Anaon Offline

Posted: June 06 2006, 10:16

Hello everyone ;)

Does someone know a good place online to buy a bodhran, a tuneable one, for a good price?

Thanks a lot ;)

--------------
> My music: http://www.spleenarcana.com
> My blog: http://www.awenwoods.com
Profile PM WEB 
glasgow_tubular Offline

Posted: Aug. 01 2006, 20:03

The Corries play a bodhran :D Theres is huge and they play it the original way with a bone. Anoan try ebay u might be lucky.

--------------
www.myspace.com/allaroundmyhat
Profile PM 
Wayfarer Offline

Posted: Aug. 02 2006, 18:09

Quote (emac @ Mar. 17 2006, 23:32)
There seems to be a gazillion different ways to play the thing.
Find a method that works for you and practice!
emac.

Yeah! There are even some skilled bodhran players that play just with the bare hands, without the beater. Check David Kuckhermann's website and you can also see him in action [WMV format].

Quote (Anaon @ June 06 2006, 16:16)
Hello everyone ;)

Does someone know a good place online to buy a bodhran, a tuneable one, for a good price?

Thanks a lot ;)

Apart from eBay, there are several music stores that sell good bodhrans. Victor Barral is a spanish craftman that has a unique and patented tuning method and makes very good bodhrain. You can buy directly on Victor Barral's Website (in spanish) or you can buy from an authorized dealer, like Hobgoblin Music Store. By the way, my bodhrán is shown on this picturewhile preparing the Jam Session set at the Oldfield Fan Meeting. It's an old model and it's out of production now, but sounds damned good.

Feedback will be highly appreciated ;)

-- Wayfarer

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
19 replies since Aug. 24 2005, 05:26 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net