Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum (the track), studio vs live< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 16 2004, 08:17

So I've been listening to the live version of Platinum (from Complete) quite a lot this week.  What, in your opinion, is the better version - the live one or the studio original?  Is there anything missing from the live version that was there on the original?  Or do you prefer certain aspects of the concert version?  Answers on a (virtual) postcard please.......

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 16 2004, 16:04

Well, It depends on which version of platinum live you are talking about. The "Complete" is the only official version, but versions of 1983 wembley, varieggio etc are much beter IMHO.

Soo...I prefer the live versions because they distill the key themes, give Mike the chance to play some stunning solo's and are also great band songs.

Somehow the album version seems to have a bit less soul after listening to the live versions.

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: June 16 2004, 18:27

Generally I prefer live versions of all Mike's music because they're more dynamic.

Part One (Airborne): My favourite live version is from 1982, Cologne. It's a quicker version with very good sounding. The Viareggio version from 1984 is also great. Despite the few instruments it has a special charm, maybe because the background melodies are more prominent.

Part Two (Platinum): My favourite is also from Cologne concert, 1982 - though it's slower (funkier?) than the album version. But it fits here very well! And I love the long stop near the end. :) The Complete version is also great!

Part Three (Charleston): I like the sounding of live versions of Charleston much better than the album version (which isn't bad either, but I have to admit that sometimes I can't listen to it very loud because it troubles my ears). There was a big change in the live versions from 1980 to 1981. It's hard to choose but maybe I like the 1981 version (e.g in Hannover) better than the ones in 1980/1984 concerts which were closer to the original. The 1984 version was very playful and that made it good, my only problem is that the proposition was in the background too much.

Part Four (North Star): I don't like the beginning of the Viareggio version but at the end it became quite good.  Though my favourite here is the ones in the 1980 concerts (e.g. Vienna). The reason why I didn't choose the 1981 versions is that the proposition wasn't played by guitar then.

P.S.: Just a little correction - Mike didn't play Platinum in 1983 so it wasn't played at the famous Wembley concert.

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 16 2004, 19:02

you are indeed correct EeToN, so I will go with Ipswich Gaumont 1980. My first ever real live show, and I have the t-shirt to prove it ;)

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
hergest fridge Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2005, 17:49

platinum tour 1980 ,bingley hall stafford was my first concert and by far the best live version of platinum.I still have the programme but can no longer wear the t-shirt ;)
Profile PM 
mink stoles Offline

Posted: Sep. 21 2005, 08:11

where can i get these live versions of platinum from????

I've only heard the version on 'complete' and its really good but my favourite part (north star) i think could be longer and there is no acoustic lead guitar at the start of the solo which i miss.

--------------
So if you you feel a little glum,
To Hergest Ridge you should come.
Profile PM 
Dorian36 Offline

Posted: Mar. 30 2006, 09:16

Since the live version from "The Complete" was the first one I got back in the 80's and got the original album after, it was a bit hard to get used to a more mellow album version... The Complete version is the rockest of them all, compared to Cologne or Viareggio etc. - I can't even play "North Star" sometimes because it is too aggressive, while on the other hand, "Charleston" and "Platinum" parts, IMHO, are better.
When I want to feel the power of Mike's music, I usually put his live versions into CD player, they're more dynamic...
Profile PM 
Morti Offline

Posted: April 03 2006, 17:31

I'd go for the live versions as well but not really the one on The Complete. The one on The Complete is a bit odd, sounds to me like it was a fairly cut-down version somehow.

--------------
The ear worm became the synonym for the commercial side of MIKE OLDFIELD.
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2007, 18:19

I love the live versions of this piece. On The Complete Mike Oldfield CD and on the Montreux DVD, are wonderful performances of "North Star" that I can't get enough of.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
8 replies since June 16 2004, 08:17 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net