a sign that Mike was low on inspiration as he entered the 80s 4  [4.94%]
a great example of Mike changing his style with the times 37  [45.68%]
OK, nothing special 6  [7.41%]
criminally underrated 18  [22.22%]
my favourite Mike Oldfield recording 4  [4.94%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum poll, Platinum parts I to IV is.....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 04 2007, 14:42

I haven't yet added this album to my collection, but - after viewing the "Montreaux" DVD - I purchased "Platinum Part 2", "Platinum Part 4", and "Punkadiddle" through iTunes. They've been my constant car tunes since.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: May 05 2007, 09:50

I love Platinum 1-4. I can't get the melodies out of my head. I just wish the drumming hadn't been so stale.
Profile PM 
New Incantation Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2007, 17:45

I remember buying the lp back in 79/80, putting it on my music centre in my bedroom, drawing the curtains, relaxing on my bed with my headphones on  and being totally carried away with the A side of Platinum.

There were hints of the old MO, ie Incantations and TB, but also experimentation with the new, as if trying to embrace the new decade of the 80s.

This "experimentation" worked quite well in parts especially with North Star and Platinum; but also went slightly off the rails by the time we get to Side B, which I very rarely play these days.

But for all that Platinum was a real blast back then, not quite so satisfying as Incantations but certainly more polished & refined than TB.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 05:32

Quote (familyjules @ Feb. 18 2005, 17:44)
I remember reading in an interview that sides 1 and 2 were pre Exegesis and that sides 3 and 4 were post Exegesis.

Jules

That is very likely to be true.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 07:02

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 04 2009, 11:32)
Quote (familyjules @ Feb. 18 2005, 17:44)
I remember reading in an interview that sides 1 and 2 were pre Exegesis and that sides 3 and 4 were post Exegesis.

Jules

That is very likely to be true.

I agree - see here as for why.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 09:14

Definately true.Although in Changeling he talks about adding the choir when he came back from therapy which seems to point to parts of sides 1 and 2 not being complete as the choir diesn't appear on sides 3 and 4.I know he wasn't too enamoured by it after he came back and found it hard to get it finished.He still decided to tour with it though so it can't have been that bad.He did state after Platinum that he wished that he'd had this to tour with in ealry 79 for the Exposed tour as it was designed from the ground up to be toured with,although i've only heard Platinum and Punkadiddle live.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 20:15

Quote (The Caveman @ Sep. 04 2009, 09:14)
I know he wasn't too enamoured by it after he came back and found it hard to get it finished.He still decided to tour with it though so it can't have been that bad.

Well...

Incantations came after a long hiatus, when MO fans would have welcomed any record by him, even if it was just a record of his sneezing. That was why people "liked" Incantations then. I suspect that many like it now simply because they associate it with the golden past.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 20:31

Quote (nightspore @ Sep. 04 2009, 20:15)
Incantations came after a long hiatus, when MO fans would have welcomed any record by him, even if it was just a record of his sneezing. That was why people "liked" Incantations then. I suspect that many like it now simply because they associate it with the golden past.

It's a good thing the opinions of all people of the world are padronised, so we can make perfectly accurate generalisations like those. :)

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 22:12

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 04 2009, 20:31)
It's a good thing the opinions of all people of the world are padronised, so we can make perfectly accurate generalisations like those. :)

Not sure what "padronised" means, Sir M, although it sounds vaguely Catholic.

It's part of the human condition that people will regard the past with an often inappropriate fondness. It even inspired that schmaltzy song "The Way we Were" ("Can it be it was all so different then, or has time rewritten every line".) Believe it or not, there have actually been concentration camp survivors who can look back on their experiences with a certain fondness. JG Ballard devoted virtually his whole writing career to such people, of course.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 04 2009, 23:21

I agree regarding the relationship to the past (but that would apply to all of his records, not just Incantations), but you said that all people only liked the record back then because of the delay. Well, I only suggested that some people liked the album because they genuinely enjoyed it. You may not like it, but that doesn't mean nobody else does.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 01:08

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Sep. 04 2009, 23:21)
you said that all people only liked the record back then because of the delay.

No, I didn't! The word never crossed my keyboard, as you may easily confirm if you read back over the post!

Seriously, though, many would have "liked" the record for this reason. Many times I've heard fans of particular groups buy the latest record and say, "Oh well, I don't like it now, but I'll play it a few times and it may grow on me." But people are associational beasties, and if the playing of a record is associated with a happy time, pretty soon the record will become a conditioned response for happiness as well.

I still like that word "padronised". Perhaps it means "to pay too much attention to the teachings of a padre."  :D
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 02:35

Incantations was a great record regardless of when and why it was recorded. Platinum, except for a few cool parts fell short of the mark due to trying to adapt to the disco era. You tubes seem to be having a lot of fun with this. I could do this all day. Well it's actually 1:30 AM......time has no meaning for me. Me, I'm a graveyard shift worker, you can tell me by the way I walk.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2009, 03:28

You can estimate a record's "immediate appeal" versus its "retrospective appeal" by its chart behaviour. Tubular Bells II reached number 1, and therefore had considerable immediate appeal. Incantations, however didn't even make the top 10 in the UK (it did even worse in Australia, failing to make the lists) and so has demonstrably less immediate appeal. If a lot of people like the record now, which seems highly unlikely, it's probably because the record "grew" on them, for reasons already suggested.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2009, 03:52

Nightspore you know that everyone who likes Incantations can't be wrong.I was 3 when it came out so didn't even hear it when it was released intitally and i like it.Equally we know that you don't like it.That's your opinion and we've been here before.Why not just accept that and learn to deal with the fact that some people who like it genuinly enjoy listening to it rather than trying to say that those people are associating it with some Golden Era etc?In the end who cares why people like a certain peice of music anyway?If they like it then they do.Simple as.It's a big world.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2009, 20:43

Quote (The Caveman @ Sep. 07 2009, 03:52)
In the end who cares why people like a certain peice of music anyway?

I thought the whole point of forums like this was to look at such issues!

Sorry to have touched a raw nerve!  :p
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2009, 03:00

Well yeah they are i just think that if you do or don't enjoy a peice of music then fine.If you don't then don't keep on at others who do with the reasons why you think it's such a crap peice and why they should dislike it.No raw nerve touched mate.
It's really very simple.I prefer Mike's 70's output to a lot (but by no means all)of the later stuff.You prefer the later stuff but don't like the 70's stuff for precisely the reasons i like it.Neither of us is 'right' as this is art and there is no such thing as 'wrong' or 'right'.There is only personal taste. ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2009, 07:45

Quote (The Caveman @ Sep. 08 2009, 03:00)
Well yeah they are i just think that if you do or don't enjoy a peice of music then fine.If you don't then don't keep on at others who do with the reasons why you think it's such a crap peice and why they should dislike it.No raw nerve touched mate.
It's really very simple.I prefer Mike's 70's output to a lot (but by no means all)of the later stuff.You prefer the later stuff but don't like the 70's stuff for precisely the reasons i like it.Neither of us is 'right' as this is art and there is no such thing as 'wrong' or 'right'.There is only personal taste. ;)

At the risk of committing a tu quoqe (but saying wtf and doing so anyway), if you can attack "Islands" I can attack Incantations. So there!  :p

As for there being no such thing as wrong or right, do you want to tell the police, or shall I?  :D
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2009, 07:51

Touche.Ok fair enough.If i keep away from Islands will you keep away from Incantaions? :laugh: Anyway i'm more inclined to have a pop at Earth Moving or TMB to be fair!
As for the police?Don't even get me started :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2009, 22:32

Islands and Incantations... so different... and so scenically, conceptually similar... both are marvellous, spiritual albums speaking about the magic and beauty of loneliness at the sea. Both are unique masterpieces in my humble opinion.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
38 replies since June 14 2004, 07:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net