a sign that Mike was low on inspiration as he entered the 80s 4  [4.94%]
a great example of Mike changing his style with the times 37  [45.68%]
OK, nothing special 6  [7.41%]
criminally underrated 18  [22.22%]
my favourite Mike Oldfield recording 4  [4.94%]
Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum poll, Platinum parts I to IV is.....< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
familyjules Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 14 2004, 07:43

How do you feel about Platinum parts I to IV?

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: June 14 2004, 07:54

I don't really feel that any of them apply. I certainly don't count it as one of the 70s instrumentals: it's too different in style and feeling, and a bit more fragmented that they are. I don't think it's an afterthought from Incantations, in that I can't see the connection between Incantations and Platinum at all. They are radically different in feeling, style and genre, I don't think they are even remotely similar. He certainly wasn't low on inspiration, but I don't think they are great, I'm more indifferent to them, not good, not bad. Prehaps nothing special would be more appropriate. Yes, I think so, but they are on the good side of nothing special. They are only average because of the excellent quality of the rest of Mike's work.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 14 2004, 10:29

Would have to go with the "great example of Mike changing with time" option, I've always really liked Platinum, both piece and album. Underrated, it is a bit perhaps but I never felt it was "criminally" underrated. I sometimes feel like that about QE2, but that's a different matter altogether  :)

PS - however I imagine it must have been a big shock to the people who had loved the first four albums at the time! (I sometimes think I can almost see their jaws dropping to the floor  :laugh: ) - doesn't say anything about the quality of the music though!
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: June 14 2004, 10:38

If forced to choose, I would go with "great example of Mike changing with time". However, this was actually after he had changed (with Guilty) and I would call it more a situation of Mike changing for his own reasons, rather than using an answer that implies he was just going with the flow.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: June 14 2004, 11:24

I think of Platinum as a transitional album.  There's still a side long instrumental, but then there's a side of Mike trying his hand at writing songs too.  The second side I find undeveloped and Platinum itself I find good, but not great.  For me it doesn't have the inspiration of the first 4 albums, but I still love some of the guitar riffs - there's some really nice stuff in there.

I also notice that it seems to be courting a mainstream audience, with the rock drums and shorter pieces, so it's the beginning of the era that lead up to Mike succeeding in writing 'regular' pop songs.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 14 2004, 12:20

I guess it is a great example of Mike changing. If anything, the track represents a masterful meld of "mainstream" disco rock music with his musicianship, sense of melody and instrumental skill. Very few would have been able to make a rock piece like Platinum and make it sound genuine, like Mike does. A great example is the Charleston / North Star combo - one track being totally silly, yet challenging, and the second one taking the disco vibe and applying Philip Glass's original over it to make something absolutely, totally gorgeous with it. I swear, there is no other track in my collection that makes me groove and tap my foot while being moved close to tears.

I absolutely love Platinum. If anything, it's easily one of my favourite "lesser" instrumental works by Mike (other favourites being Crises and Music From The Balcony). I think it's underrated (maybe not 'criminally', but only maybe) because some people tend to disdain it. But yes, it's a great example of Mike changing with the times - where as, say, Tubular Bells II and III are bad examples of Mike changing with the times.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2005, 09:51

Quote (familyjules @ June 14 2004, 11:24)
I think of Platinum as a transitional album.  There's still a side long instrumental, but then there's a side of Mike trying his hand at writing songs too.  

I see "Incantations", the one before it, as the transitional album. Didn't Mike have his "exegesis" experience right in the middle of making "Incantations"? I've always wondered which parts were before and which were after. I have suspected that the end section of side 3 might be after "exegesis". Does anyone know on this?

I also saw side one of Platinum as 4 instrumentals, not "a side-long one" like you find on Crises or Islands or almost on Discovery.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2005, 11:44

Quote (hiawatha @ Feb. 18 2005, 09:51)
I see "Incantations", the one before it, as the transitional album. Didn't Mike have his "exegesis" experience right in the middle of making "Incantations"? I've always wondered which parts were before and which were after. I have suspected that the end section of side 3 might be after "exegesis". Does anyone know on this?

I remember reading in an interview that sides 1 and 2 were pre Exegesis and that sides 3 and 4 were post Exegesis.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2005, 11:46

I also saw side one of Platinum as 4 instrumentals, not "a side-long one" like you find on Crises or Islands or almost on Discovery.

I don't agree, Hiawatha.  I always thought that breaking Platinum down into 4 parts was an attempt by Mike to be more 'user friendly' and accessible.  It all sounds of a piece to me.  Certainly no less than Tubular Bells or Ommadawn, and you could break those two albums down into several different chunks if you so desired.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 18 2005, 14:56

I guess it is sort of subjective. As for TB and Ommadawn, I see a definite break between the two sides of each. In both, Side 1 is like one song, and Side 2 is almost totally unrelated: containing a long diverse instrumental followed by a short (also unrelated) song.

--------------
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Bill Bobaggins Offline

Posted: July 03 2005, 20:46

I had to vote for that it's my favorite, because at the moment, it is.  My favorite changes constantly.  Previously it was Amarok.  Now it's Platinum.  In fact, I listen every day as I do my treadmill workout.  Part 1 is a little slower for my warmup.  With Parts 2, 3 and 4, I can keep my treadmill set for 3.5 mph.  I follow that up with EeTon's latest Oclamoorie and then wind down with To France.  Works out to be about a 30-minute routine.

--------------
Speak friend and enter.
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: July 04 2005, 06:04

I always think of Platinum with a kind of nostalgic affection. When it came out, I'd just done a crash course in Mike Oldfield, having discovered him only about a year before. So when I listened to it for the first time, I was steeped in the previous albums, and the shock was quite something. I listened to it over and over again - not because I liked it particularly, but because I was intrigued by the change, and wanted to answer the question: how could he have got from there to here?.
North Star is surely among the finest things he's ever done. The rest, I suppose i'm fairly lukewarm about. But my admiration of him for the attempt to make music so different and unexpected is something else again.
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: July 05 2005, 01:38

I used to excercise to Platinum too, it had the right build up and cool down at the right moments.

Tracy.

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: July 05 2005, 12:39

Quote (familyjules @ Feb. 18 2005, 11:44)
I've always wondered which parts were before and which were after. I have suspected that the end section of side 3 might be after "exegesis". Does anyone know on this?

I remember reading in an interview that sides 1 and 2 were pre Exegesis and that sides 3 and 4 were post Exegesis.

Jules

From what I've read part 1 and 4 was post-exegesis. I don't know if I can hear the difference, but there sure is more repetition in parts 1 and 4. Both have sections that seem to go on forever.
Personally I'm more fond of part 1. Part 4 never stood out for me. Some of it sounds like PMs Gong!

Lars T

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 26 2005, 13:12

It took three months before the post above appeared on the forum. Isn't that strange?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 16:22

Quote (TubularBelle @ July 05 2005, 06:38)
I used to excercise to Platinum too, it had the right build up and cool down at the right moments.

My Dad has used TSODE for years! This was one of the two ways I discovered Mike Oldfield, the other being that he played TBII in the car alot  :)

As for Platinum, pure excellence, all parts, I love the grooviness of part 3 in particular  :cool:

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
The Bell(end) Offline

Posted: Oct. 10 2005, 16:26

Quote (Alan D @ July 04 2005, 11:04)
I was intrigued by the change, and wanted to answer the question: how could he have got from there to here?.

Surely his 'cure' from panic attacks and increased self-confidence after the help he got was the main reason for such change, it really is great!

I feel Woodhenge goes slightly back to Ommadawn roots, he managed much better with Amarok though  :)

--------------
When the night's on fi-ya, do you need love's arms to hold yew? :D
Profile PM 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2005, 06:31

I opted for changing with the times but I think it had more to do with an increase in self-confidence more than anything else. The side long instrumental, although typically Oldfieldian in sound, was really far less complex and more mainstream than any album released previously. Maybe he realised that he could compose music for fun, toe-tapping pleasure as well as symphonic, complex epics?

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 15:42

Quote (TubularBelle @ July 05 2005, 01:38)

Tracy.

I still do. 20 minutes on the excercise bike 6 times a week :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
Piltdownboy on horseback 22 Offline

Posted: Nov. 11 2005, 17:15

Quote (arron11196 @ Nov. 11 2005, 15:42)
20 minutes on the excercise bike 6 times a week :)

So then you must look exactly like Mike on the Voyager cover but then younger :O

--------------
"And now we're going to play Platinum!"
Profile PM 
38 replies since June 14 2004, 07:43 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net