Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum Live, Complete/Album< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Punkadiddle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 19 2003, 14:00

Is it just me or does anyone else think that the live version of Platinum featured on the Complete album is better than the actual Platinum album itself.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Oct. 19 2003, 14:40

Haven't heard it myself, but I read a similar comment on George Starostin's site.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Watcher of the skies Offline

Posted: Oct. 20 2003, 01:38

The live versoin of Platinum was the first i heard - so i listened and listened to it on my old "complete" cassete and later when i bought "Platinum" cd  i couldn't really get into it
although the Album version has got louder and brighter bass,much more variety (Mike's vocals),and definitly it is ineresting,the second track ("Platinum") is too long and it could last shorter.
Live version is heavier,more rocking and very cool - Maggie is excellent there!and it lasts few minutes shorter than original...
Well i prefer Live version because it is the first i ever heard!

--------------
Hillmen are swore of allegiance
living a live of silent dignity
for your protection
only so you don't worry...
your pretty little head!
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2004, 15:54

Obviously the live version is nice as it's alittle bit more rock sounding and some parts are even better, as happens with North Star in my opinion, with an outstanding work at rythm guitar from Mike, or in the beginning with that great piano. Anyway, I don't like those tacky Maggie's vocals on 'Platinum' and 'Charlestone' is almost removed from the whole.

Anyway, I remember when I bought Platinum and heard it at the first time... it was the time of Islands, and this is the only LP I hadn't yet at thet time. I got really amazed at the big change on the beginning of 'Airborne' with all those lush glokenspiels, synthesisers and the very, very clean and loud sound of the whole. I think the album version is more of the likes of people like me who enjoy complex and good quality arrangements, while the other one is for people (like me as well!!!;) that enjoy energetic and more direct types of music...

Anyway... Platinum is great!!!

By the way... have you heard that live version of Platinum in which Mike has one string of his guitar completely out of tune, he stops the band, tunes it for a while while his mates play loosely for themselves, and they start again...? It's amazing!!!!! :cool:

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Jan. 23 2004, 17:23

Quote (Delfín @ Jan. 23 2004, 21:54)
By the way... have you heard that live version of Platinum in which Mike has one string of his guitar completely out of tune, he stops the band, tunes it for a while while his mates play loosely for themselves, and they start again...? It's amazing!!!!! :cool:

That version is the same one on The Complete ... just a bit longer. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: Jan. 24 2004, 19:55

any clues where i can find the tuning version? I saw the tour live as my first ever live xperience, so holds a spcial place for me

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2004, 07:59

O.K., Ugo, I know the version when Mike stops for tuning is almost the same as the one in The Complete...

The reason why I think it's amazing is because he stops and tunes the guitar... only because of that!!!! :cool:

I don't know where you can find it, olracUK... I would love to send it, but I don't have Internet at home... anyway, if you're not able to find it, tell it to me and we'll try and do something... :D

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2004, 05:11

The version in which Mike stops for tuning the Guitar is the one played at Hannover 81 (there's a bootleg with the full show and is soundboard so very good sound quality). This concert is not specially hard to find but you must try to search it on FTPs and P2P programs (eMule, WinMX, SoulSeek...). I think the version included at The Complete is also the one in Hannover (with the tunning part cut out), but not sure of that fact.

Well, if you have an e-mail account that allows big attached files I can send it to you by mail ;)
Profile PM 
7 replies since Oct. 19 2003, 14:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net