Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum, how much it's worth< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
adzy31 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 29 2003, 06:09

Hiya, i've only just registered here and this is gonna have to be a quick question, but... how much is the original Platinum worth? would I be wise to save up and buy it for £70 at my local record shop? is it a good investment? etc....
Thanks a lot,
-Adam D
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2003, 08:16

You mean on vinyl? No way, I got it for 2,50 EUR (in good shape! )  :D
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2003, 12:25

Maybe adzy was thinking about buying the original 'Sally' version ?
Judging from recent posts to alt.music.mike-olfield, 70 sounds like an acceptable price - if you really want it, that is...
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2003, 13:07

Ah, sure... I don't think I'd pay £70 for it, but it may be worth it...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Aug. 29 2003, 13:57

Well...I'd say £70 may be the going rate (though perhaps a little on the high side), but whether it's worth it is a different matter.

There are some people who own the album without knowing that its special, and those are the people who will give the record to their local charity shop or jumble sale when they decide to cut down their record collection. It might sound unlikely, but I know people who've bought copies of the original Platinum in that way, for not much more than Holger paid for his later edition.

It depends on how much you want it...£70 and have it now (or as soon as you can afford it), or search around and get it for £3, but risk facing a long search and possibly never finding it at that price at all. So whether it's worth £70 is really up to you.

As an investment...at the moment it still has a value amongst collectors, and that's probably not likely to fall significantly for a while, but of course as with all investments, unforseen things can happen to change that. If you're looking to sell it on for a profit at some point in the future, the best returns are undoubtedly going to be on a copy bought for a really low price...but like I say, good luck in finding one.
Profile PM 
adzy31 Offline

Posted: Aug. 29 2003, 15:12

Alright... I've been looking for it now and again on the local market but i'm gonna have to do some snooping around at car boot sales etc. I don't want it enough now to be willing to pay £70 for it as i've found the original Sally song on Kazaa (it's at http://www.btinternet.com/~adzy31 if anyone wants it, but, be careful, as i'm not sure how much monthly transfer BT give me) and, although it might fit into the album more, i'm not keen on it. Into Wonderland is, to me, a better song.

I might be able to knock the guy down a bit on price anyway if the searching is in vain. Thanks for the advice.

-Adam D
Profile PM 
Punkadiddle Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2003, 16:51

I just bought Platinum from my local record store.  He looked it up in a book and told me it was worth £100.  You'll never guess what he sold it me for..wait for it £20.  I couldn't believe it.  And you say it goes out for around £70.  Interesting.
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2003, 11:30

BTW: just found a copy of the english 'Don Alfonso' 7" single for sale here at ebay.de - 30.50€ and still 7 days to go... not really interested for that price, having it downloaded as MP3 (though getting the 'Hibernaculum' double-CDS for 19.99€ already extened my limits...)
Profile PM WEB 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 14 2003, 21:10

YOU FOUND "SALLY" ON KAZAA?! How come I never found it?! Argh, I want it now!

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
adzy31 Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2003, 11:42

lol... like i said i've put it on www.btinternet.com/~adzy31
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 16 2003, 08:20

It's just that I have no access to Internet at home other than on weekends. How is the file? Is it CD quality, just like in the album?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
adzy31 Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2003, 10:31

Yep it appears someone has recorded it from a mint condition original album - I didn't hear any crackles or pops.
Profile PM 
Adzy31
Unregistered

Posted: Nov. 02 2003, 12:11

wait - ignore those links, sorry - had to delete the MP3 a) cos i needed the webspace and b) in the light of all this "People suing little kids for actually using the internet for useful things [downloading music...]" stuff. Hell, its not like the modern crap is worth anything anyways...

I can assure you it's on Kazaa - just download everything you can find with Sally in the title :p
robo
Unregistered

Posted: April 01 2005, 16:19

this will make you laugh....i have serched like many for "sally" for years and finally got a cassette version of the album played it thought this is awesmoe etc etc. so i thought how do i transfer it to cd , i know ill serch round a few mo sites and see if any one has any suggestions.so here i am and what do i see some very nice chap on here offering a free download well mate i wasted a lot of time serching i should have come here 1st thanks a lot mate your very kind. :D
13 replies since Aug. 29 2003, 06:09 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net