Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Highlander Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 28 2012, 04:54

Quote (tubular_trekkie @ June 27 2012, 16:07)
Neither the tracklisting on the Sainsbury's site or on Amazon lists 'Shiva' on the QE2 Deluxe Edition.

I wonder why?

Hopefully it's not down to lack of care again. Maybe we should email the distributor and ask and they might fix it before release if it's an oversight.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 28 2012, 15:54

All-clear: Sive is included

You can listen to the re-releases on jpc.de

QE2

Platinum

2 big surprises:

The excerpts from North Star 2012 and Platinum Live Studio Session are terrific.

Siva is quite strange cous since he sings along to the original song. The voice is very similar to the chorus of Surfing. But he hasn't sacked maggie's voice :-)

Maybe he was influenced by this:

Shivam Anugata Once there was a time (jungle gardenia)
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 28 2012, 19:42

Glad to hear it Highlander! Thanks for posting that stpaul. The live clips sound amazing quality & William Tell is a treat! He only played it a handful of times as far as I know, interesting to hear it goes into the end of Punkadiddle. Shiva sounds a bit odd but may be better for hearing the whole song. Studio session sounds great. Cant wait for them to arrive!  :p

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 28 2012, 20:18

Quote (SimonUK @ June 21 2012, 20:15)
Pre orders are cheap at Sainsburys for the new releases http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en....cd

Have just found a 10% discount code for Sainsburys too to apply at checkout. SETENJ12 valid until 17th july. Total for 6 CD box set, both deluxe editions & Two Sides was £43.16 (shipping is free). Bargain!  ;)

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 00:41

Quote (stpaul @ June 28 2012, 15:54)
Platinum

A live jam session! Wow! Love that funky bass guitar!!! Marvelous!!! I could buy this Deluxe Edition just for this one track! :)

BTW the concerts have a good quality and i think it was good idea to fill a second disc on both releases with a live show - can't wait for it to listen to!!!

Can't wait for Deluxe Editions!!! :)
Profile PM 
MikeArnold Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 02:57

I will intend to buy both deluxe editions, but mainly for the live material.   This was a golden era for Mike on the live circuit, which I unfortunately missed at the time, so it will be good to get a pristine CD version.
As for the disc 1's of both Platinum and QE2, there isn't really much there that the average Oldfield fan does not already have.  A bit unimaginative really, and disappointing that "Sally" is not included in some incarnation or another, and similarly it was also a bit disappointing that the "Space Movie" version of Part 4 of Incantations was missed off of the Incantations deluxe edition.
But, that's life.  And, besides, those live cuts will more than satisfy my appetite.
I'm now salivating for the eventual release of a Five Miles Out deluxe edition, which will hopefully also include a nice wedge of live material!!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 03:22

"Shiva" sounds like "Sheba" with some sort of early guide vocal from Mike included in the mix. I expected a 2012 modernized crap version of the song, so I'm positively surprised.

The Platinum studio session sounds fantastic. Shows he was trying out all kinds of stuff in the studio for that album.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 04:07

Many thanks stpaul for posting this.
Buying these might be worth after all. Howere QE2 disc two seems like Montreaux to me (mostly). Ad that one I've already god on DVD and also converted to various audio only formats. :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 04:34

Quote (Black Bunik @ June 29 2012, 04:07)
Buying these might be worth after all. Howere QE2 disc two seems like Montreaux to me (mostly). Ad that one I've already god on DVD and also converted to various audio only formats. :)

It's not from Montreaux. The mandolin solo from Taurus I on that excerpt is different (more complex) from the one played on Montreaux.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 29 2012, 06:07

The tracks were recorded during the European Adventure Tour on April 1st 1981 in the Grugahalle in Essen, Germany, as was Polka (Live).

;)

Edited by manintherain on June 29 2012, 06:07
Profile PM 
guimabvue Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 06:56

I don't know if it has been already said here but Universal Music confirmed that there are only 5OO copies of each colored-LP editions. :)
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 07:17

Quote (equinoxe @ June 29 2012, 04:34)
Quote (Black Bunik @ June 29 2012, 04:07)

It's not from Montreaux. The mandolin solo from Taurus I on that excerpt is different (more complex) from the one played on Montreaux.

OK. Thanks for the notice!
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 07:48

Quote (SimonUK @ June 28 2012, 19:42)
Shiva sounds a bit odd but may be better for hearing the whole song.

If Mike added those vocals in 2012 to "improve" the song then it is by far the worst piece of music I have ever heard from him.  :/ Sounds like someone trying to sing karaoke to his favorite record without waking up the neighbours.

Not that it bothers me. There are plenty of goodies on both those discs.  :)

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
alejandra Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 08:11

The little I hear of Shiva is simply terrible. Glued-on vocals, very badly sung and with lyrics which are cod-spiritual, filled with the worst imaginable cliches (the journey to freedom...the right path...WHO ARE WE?...as the days grow old and the sun goes down...oh, please!;)...pomposity and grandiloquence ill-fitting such a simple beautiful song as Sheba.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 09:00

Quote (alejandra @ June 29 2012, 08:11)
The little I hear of Shiva is simply terrible. Glued-on vocals, very badly sung and with lyrics which are cod-spiritual, filled with the worst imaginable cliches (the journey to freedom...the right path...WHO ARE WE?...as the days grow old and the sun goes down...oh, please!;)...pomposity and grandiloquence ill-fitting such a simple beautiful song as Sheba.

And on to top of that...it's named after the godess of death.  :/

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 11:53

Can't stop to listen to that ultra short excerpt of platinum live session from this morning to now :) It sound so fresh like if it was recorded in this year! Timeless stuff! :)
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 12:25

Quote (larstangmark @ June 29 2012, 14:00)
Quote (alejandra @ June 29 2012, 08:11)

And on to top of that...it's named after the godess of death.  :/

He's not going all maudlin on us, is he?  :/

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 12:59

Am I right in thinking Mike doesn't have the masters to these recording so therefore can't remix them? The North Star remix sounds to me like he's taken samples from Phillip Glass's original choral version and over dubbed his own. Sounds good whatever he's done.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 13:47

Quote (manintherain @ June 29 2012, 06:07)
The tracks were recorded during the European Adventure Tour on April 1st 1981 in the Grugahalle in Essen, Germany, as was Polka (Live).

;)

Yes, but Polka was recorded during the Concert 80 tour, pobably in Munich.
To all thinking " I have the Montreux DVD and don't need another 1981 concert recording" :
The spring tour of 1981 is a little bit different to the 2nd part of the tour. The Battlefield Band's players  (support act) joint the Mike Oldfield Group on Ommadawn, QE2 and Portsmouth with fiddle and bagpipes.
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 29 2012, 15:05

Quote (stpaul @ June 29 2012, 19:47)
Quote (manintherain @ June 29 2012, 06:07)

;)

Yes, but Polka was recorded during the Concert 80 tour, pobably in Munich.

Oh yes, you're right. Sorry!

:O
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13 14 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net