Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
equinoxe Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 29 2012, 15:22

I think the live section on The Complete compilation is from the Montreaux show...
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 29 2012, 15:50

"This side will present previously unreleased live-material which has been recorded in various concerts in the past years and introduce the excellent musicians, who accompanied Mike Oldfield on his concert-tours in the years 1981 - 1984."

Taken from the booklet

Mount Teide hasn't even been recorded at that time.

;)

Edited by manintherain on June 29 2012, 15:52
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 15:59

Quote (manintherain @ June 29 2012, 15:50)
"This side will present previously unreleased live-material which has been recorded in various concerts in the past years and introduce the excellent musicians, who accompanied Mike Oldfield on his concert-tours in the years 1981 - 1984."

Taken from the booklet

;)

Yes, you have right about the "Mount Teidi". I had mainly in my mind the "Platinum" suite and then also "Sheba" and "Mirage" as those from Montreaux. They have the same acoustics reverberation like on Montreaux plus the guitar with a tremolo system. Hmm. I must compare these tracks.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 29 2012, 16:16

Quote (equinoxe @ June 29 2012, 15:59)

Taken from the booklet

;)

Yes, you have right about the "Mount Teidi". I had mainly in my mind the "Platinum" suite and then also "Sheba" and "Mirage" as those from Montreaux. They have the same acoustics reverberation like on Montreaux plus the guitar with a tremolo system. Hmm. I must compare these tracks.

The Complete tracks Sheba, Mirage and Platinum were recorded at Essen April 1th '81. Definitely.
During the first half of the tour the main melody (before the vocal part) was played by Tim Cross on synth and during the second by Rick Fenn on acoustic guitar.
So we can add it to the QE2 deluxe "live side" and we have the whole concert recording.
Mount Teide is a 1982 recording. Some years ago I read somewhere it was recorded also in Germany at Bremerhaven November 1th.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 30 2012, 06:36

Quote (stpaul @ June 29 2012, 16:16)
Quote (equinoxe @ June 29 2012, 15:59)

Taken from the booklet

;)

The Complete tracks Sheba, Mirage and Platinum were recorded at Essen April 1th '81. Definitely.
During the first half of the tour the main melody (before the vocal part) was played by Tim Cross on synth and during the second by Rick Fenn on acoustic guitar.
So we can add it to the QE2 deluxe "live side" and we have the whole concert recording.
Mount Teide is a 1982 recording. Some years ago I read somewhere it was recorded also in Germany at Bremerhaven November 1th.

Ok. Thanks for making it clear!
Profile PM 
Nige Offline

Posted: July 03 2012, 06:07

I don't tend to post much to this forum as, I'm afraid, I've become an increasingly frustrated fan since discovering Oldfield 37 years ago and, what I think of as the 'glory days' of the 1970s and early 1980s are long behind us.  However, I do remember the excitement of MO concerts during this period and having just listened to the snippets of the live tracks from the two new albums via the link posted on this thread (page 10, near the top, I think), it all came flooding back.

Yes, I know we've all got all of the material via video transfers, bootlegs and the odd compilation album but the clarity of the latest recordings made me 'shiver' with excitement.  Can't wait for the 23rd (assuming, of course, this won't be another case of delayed release)!

Whilst on the subject of 'shiver' or whatever its correct spelling is, I'm afraid this is one of the increasing frustrations I referred to at the top of this post.  Unless there's something special in another part of the track, from what I heard from the snippet, it has all the makings of a new milestone in the Oldfield discography - at last something which makes 'Speak Tho You Only Say Farewell' sound like a major choral masterpiece!
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: July 03 2012, 19:26

Platinum & QE2 Deluxe MP3 download versions added to Amazon UK website .... different samples available ! :-

QE2

( Shiva still sounds odd )

Platinum

:)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: July 03 2012, 23:45

Quote (HuanCry @ July 03 2012, 19:26)
Platinum & QE2 Deluxe MP3 download versions added to Amazon UK website .... different samples available ! :-

QE2

( Shiva still sounds odd )

Platinum

:)

Another sample from Platinum Live Session with handclaps! Fun-tastic! :)
Profile PM 
christopher Offline

Posted: July 04 2012, 00:09

Shiva is an odd little track.  I'm not sure what possessed him to do it in this manner.  I mean, just singing atop an already established track with vocals... whats that about!?  I believe Mike had good intensions.  However, like Sally, it is just too unbelievable to be taken seriously.  At first, I thought he'd done this back in the day.  But then, I remembered reading or hearing something about him doing a 2012 mix of Sheba.  His voice hasn't aged at all.  It's just as it was on HO :)  Personally, I found his vocals on "No Dream" to be perfect and haunting!  The only way to truly have a final say is when the CD arrives in the post.  

Unfortunately, the original masters didn't seem to have survived or he just didn't have the time to remix it.  God willing the rest of the masters survived!!!!  I hope he doesn't just slap together the next two albums!!!!!!  I hope he takes his time and remixes them properly!!!!!  FMO and Crises are my two favorite 80's albums!!!!  I mean, the concerts are a very nice bonus!!  Having good quality transfers instead of the bootlegs we all have with half the channels mixed incorrectly is nice :)  But, re-releasing a released mix is kind of tacky!  Especially when your fans already have it from 12 years ago!  If he comes out and says "I didn't have the original masters" and confirms it, I will be understanding.

As he does the promotional rounds for these two releases, maybe he will tell us what the hell he's been up to that's so bloody secretive :) AND whether he has the master tapes for the rest of the albums.  Knowing one way or the other early, would be greatly appreciated!  That way we don't get our hopes up if there is no reason.  

PS I want to like Shiva.  Hopefully, it gets better!
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 04 2012, 03:32

Quote (christopher @ July 04 2012, 00:09)
Shiva is an odd little track.  I'm not sure what possessed him to do it in this manner.  I mean, just singing atop an already established track with vocals... whats that about!?  I believe Mike had good intensions.  However, like Sally, it is just too unbelievable to be taken seriously.  
(...)
Unfortunately, the original masters didn't seem to have survived or he just didn't have the time to remix it.  God willing the rest of the masters survived!!!!  
(...)

PS I want to like Shiva.  Hopefully, it gets better!

Listening to the Shiva excerpt on Amazon, it seems he has also added some additional percussion samples. Although I don't like the new vocals I have to wait for the complete track to give a final evaluation. But I'm very disappointed Shiva is the only (moreover self-made) rarity on QE2 and I really can't believe Polka and Wonderful Land Single Version are the only tracks they found in the archives. It was said the studio version of Royal Wedding Anthem was played on radio some days before the concert at London Guild Hall and the latter was recorded definitely. So why they won't release it ?

Regarding the multi-track tapes MO mentioned last year:

"We’ve just done Incantations from what was available, because at least half the tapes went missing. In the early days there was no contractual requirement to even keep the master tapes. I just happened to keep the masters for some of the albums. With Incantations some of it was there, while other bits were scattered on different reels of tapes. I’ve been working on a mix of ‘North Star’, a track from Platinum that is sounding good. Haven’t got QE2, haven’t got any of the later albums yet"

So we shouldn't expect too much for the following re-releases. I just hope they will include concert recordings at least...
Profile PM 
Bell Boy Offline

Posted: July 04 2012, 04:38

SHIVA ...Wtf !!!!!!????

Ok its only a 90 sec clip....BUT why !???????????????????
Sounds like he is just singing over the backing track...

BIZZARE.. that "Sally" was thought a little silly to release, then we get this.....?????
I cant believe that they couldnt find anything better to put as extras, than  SHIVA and Wonderful Land edit...

If MO is having final say then there is not much we can say.....
BUT a little respect for the die hard fans who are re buying these re releases for the ????? time.....

New remixes YES, B sides YES, un released YES....but not Fillers.....

I really hope that there is better to come....
If there wasnt the live discs then I'd walk away...I really wish we had a live box set.

Ungrateful? ....perhaps
Puzzled ....Definitely ???
Disappointed .... Yet again...

I really hope that he has lost interest in these re issues, and just knocking them out.. to allow him the time to make some REAL NEW Music......PLEASE !!!!!!!
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: July 04 2012, 16:48

"polka" - twice? really??

Ok I know it's 2 different recordings but - come on! When there is other stuff in the archive that would make everyone very happy why go put "polka" on twice?

I'll never understand the music industry...clearly it's run by people who just don't give a shit.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: July 04 2012, 20:30

Quote (Bell Boy @ July 04 2012, 04:38)
I really hope that he has lost interest in these re issues, and just knocking them out.. to allow him the time to make some REAL NEW Music......PLEASE !!!!!!!

But I can't imagine he spent a lot of time on the recent re-releases .......
Profile PM 
leesonar Offline

Posted: July 05 2012, 06:08

The remaining 7 albums should be released next year at this rate, the killing fields should be omitted as exposed and the orchestral tubular bells didn't get a release either.
Profile PM 
spark Offline

Posted: July 05 2012, 08:17

Do anyone of you think its strange that Mikes master tapes were not looked after by him ?
He was so strict about what was good enough to be released , the quality of his recordings and a bit of a technical wizard ,it just seems weird he didnt even care what happend to his work .
Or is it a poor excuse to say the masters are lost so we cant release, ie All Right Now.
Profile PM 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: July 06 2012, 12:13

Quote (spark @ July 05 2012, 14:17)
Do anyone of you think its strange that Mikes master tapes were not looked after by him ?
He was so strict about what was good enough to be released , the quality of his recordings and a bit of a technical wizard ,it just seems weird he didnt even care what happend to his work .
Or is it a poor excuse to say the masters are lost so we cant release, ie All Right Now.

No, that's not strange at all. If an artist has a contract with a record company, he (or she) sells the duplicating rights to the company which means that he (or she) hands the master tapes over to the record company for duplication. As long as the artist doesn't buy these rights back, the tapes remain in possession of the record company and are stored there. So if some of the M.O. master tapes have deteriorated over the years, this is nothing M.O. can be blamed for because Virgin had the tapes.
But even Virgin might not be responsible for that because recording tapes deteriorate. It depends on the brands and sometimes even on a special batch of tape from a certain brand how fast they deteriorate but they generally do. The only thing you can do to slow this process down is to store them in a special room with constant temperature/humidity. But I don't think that in the 70s and even in the 80s people were as aware of this problem as they are nowadays, so if the tapes have just been stored in a normal room for 20+ years, chances are that they are lost.
Another problem may be that the record companies didn't even keep the multitrack tapes because they were (and still are!;) very expensive and could maybe be used again! So if there's just a stereo master tape left, a remix would be impossible...

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: July 06 2012, 12:48

Quote (mindphaser @ July 06 2012, 17:13)
So if there's just a stereo master tape left, a remix would be impossible...

A similar thing happened to Pink Floyd ...
A very interesting piece for those interested in the mechanics of archival multi-track tape handling / restoration.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: July 06 2012, 17:58

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ July 06 2012, 18:48)
A similar thing happened to Pink Floyd ...

[sorry for the off-topic...]

@ Pat: yes. That's why PF's albums keep on being re-released in remastered editions (every new one worse than the other, IMHO! :D), but no-one's ever dreamed about remixing them - the only thing that's ever been done to them is the 5.1 mixes by James Guthrie for the Immersion editions of the Dark Side, Wish You Were Here and The Wall albums. Some of these mixes are very nice, one (The Wall) is ugly - always IMHO. :D Guthrie, for anyone here who doesn't know, is PF's longtime live sound engineer - he engineered all of the Wall shows and mixed Roger Waters' celebrity-laden 1990 The Wall show in Berlin. I guess he's the only person who the band (especially Roger, and David Gilmour) consider trustworthy enough to handle their material. I guess he only made 5.1 mixes of those three albums (no other Immersion editions are scheduled to be released of PF's back catalogue) because they were the only ones whose multitrack tapes were available. The only other PF remixes I can think of are the ones on the Echoes compilation, but on that CD it's more a matter of editing/fading in/fading out/crossfading the individual songs rather than actually remixing them.

Back on topic: I just got an e-mail from Universal stating that the release date for both the LP editions and deluxe CD editions of Platinum and QE2 has been delayed by the manufacturer (that's what the e-mail says) until July 30. Oh, well... if I don't get anything by the end of August, I shall write to Universal and I'll ask for a refund. This is what happened with HR and Ommadawn - there was an extremely long delay so I asked for a refund. In the end I got the refund and the records. :D

@ Mindphaser: so, Mike O. doesn't have the master tapes for his old Virgin albums but he does have the master tapes for his 1968 recordings he made with Transatlantic as part of Sallyangie? If he didn't have those tapes (especially "Branches" and "A Sad Song for Rosie") he could have never recorded part II of Ommadawn or Amarok. At least, not as we know them. :) So it sounds a little weird to me that he didn't retain his old Virgin tapes but he did retain his older Transatlantic tapes. Maybe it's because Transatlantic is all-but a major label...

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: July 06 2012, 18:43

Quote (Ugo @ July 06 2012, 21:58)
so, Mike O. doesn't have the master tapes for his old Virgin albums but he does have the master tapes for his 1968 recordings he made with Transatlantic as part of Sallyangie? If he didn't have those tapes (especially "Branches" and "A Sad Song for Rosie") he could have never recorded part II of Ommadawn or Amarok. At least, not as we know them. :) So it sounds a little weird to me that he didn't retain his old Virgin tapes but he did retain his older Transatlantic tapes. Maybe it's because Transatlantic is all-but a major label...

He'd only need a basic mono copy of those to act as a reminder of the tunes, though...and he does write things down. If they were tunes he particularly liked, he might even have just kept them in his head.

There have also been some things recorded over the years which Mike hasn't kept copies of but other people who were working with him have.

Still, whether he had the Transatlantic tapes or not, it's definitely true that the multitrack master tapes for Mike's albums were held by Virgin. Some of them were lost by Virgin too...and it's not confined to Virgin either (I've heard that the master tape for The Songs of Distant Earth has been lost too...). Like mindphaser says, though, in a contract like Mike had, the album belongs to the record company and that includes the master tapes.
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: July 06 2012, 18:46

I would argue that it would be highly unlikely for a record company to hold and retain multi-track tapes. More often the studio in which the music was recorded and mixed might hold on to them in a small archive for a while - they would most likely have provided the tape in the first place with the cost of purchase going to the producers of the music. The final mix down master for duplication would be held by the record company and be stored in their archive or at the mastering house archive that pressed the records and later cassettes. You can see in the TB ultimate book the photo of the rather battered duplication master of TB which indicates each time it was brought out of the archive to be used for another re-issue.

In the case of Mike's output after recording Tubular Bells at the Manor he built his own studios at The Beacon and Trougham for HR, O and I. so that is most likely why he had the multi tracks for those.

These albums also had the relatively rare issue of being "remixed" from the multi-tracks again for Quad. So the multi-tracks must have been given by Mike to The Manor for Phil Newell to work on. Indeed TB was done twice (firstly at Abbey Road) with the old story of the master having been "lost" inbetween remixing and ending up under some girls bed!

What happened to the multi-tracks after Boxed is a mystery - mayhaps they were given back to Mike or more likely they were retained at The Manor and then into the Virgin archive which is why they are in good condition.

Incantations though didn't go through the same treatment and the multi-track Mike probably kept so maybe that is why it has deteriorated.

Interestingly though it is well documented that Incantations was also mixed at the time for Quad but this has never been released - though it was mentioned back in 2000 that Simon Heyworth when he did the HDCD remasters had that quad master and copied it off for archiving - so where that went to who can say? as they might well have been able to have used that for a surround release last year!

With Platinum and QE2 he used commercial studios again so they more than likely held the multi-tracks until they were deemed as no longer wanted and probably either wiped or disposed of.

This is all speculation of course but having worked in mass video duplication I have seen many similar things happen regarding masters, copies, archives and a general apathy to finished product.

In a perfect world every multi track would be cloned and then stored in a temperature controlled archive - but sadly as we know all to well this rarely happens.
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net