[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TOBY Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 19 2012, 15:57

Quote (Ugo @ June 19 2012, 15:40)
This is why I think we can put all our minds at rest about ever getting a 5.1 mix of Amarok. As far as I know Mike doesn't really like that album any longer, maybe he never did.

Why do you think that Ugo? Mike's fairly consistently sung its praises in every interview I've seen him mention it. Including recent ones.

'My big project will be the complete 5.1 of Amarok, providing we’ve got the Multi-Track tapes, because that’s one of my favourites.'
http://drownedinsound.com/in_dept....ldfield
Profile PM 
crises1980 Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 17:51

Quote (Pat Gleeson @ June 19 2012, 15:24)
Quote (Bell Boy @ June 19 2012, 16:08)
....  MIKE himself didnt want Sally etc ...

... Mike Oldfield didnt want this or any of the other suggested "ommissions" included. Its not that they were not suggested. Mike has final say on his catalogue...

This sounds very likely ..
I remember reading on the Amorok mailing list many moons ago a retyped fax message detailing the correspondence between MO and Virgin regarding the Complete Mike Oldfield compilation in 1985. The tracklisting Mike wanted was very bland and predictable even compared to what was eventually released. He appeared unwilling to allow anything released that was not generally easily available already.
He now has veto over any release, since now he has control of his Virgin era catalogue.

Exactly. We must thank Dirk Hohmeyer (CEO at Virgin Germany in the 80s) that some rarities surfaced on 'The Complete'. In fact, they needed a needledrop with 'Jungle Gardenia' as original master tapes were lost... in 1985 already!

Okay, I can imagine why MO didn't want 'Sally' to be released. You cannot blame someone for not moving on... even though he wrote it and published it and earned some money by telling it on a book. But I can imagine.

However, any other release from that time... What does Mike possible have against 'Alright Now'? Or 'The Path', that was ommitted for the 'Ommadawn' re-issue? Are we talking about the same musician that released an embarrassing cover versions of 'Romance' and 'Lakmé' not too long ago?

I just QUIVER thinking on what he might have done to 'Sheba' after things like 'Diana - Desiderata'.

I wanted to be more optimistic this time, and I think the live tracks are real gems (even though most of us already have same concerts in bootleg recordings), but I rather thought of a non-comprehensive work by the people responsible of this edition, instead of a Newfield banning tracks.
Profile PM 
HuanCry Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 18:28

Guess what's the pic on the cd cover for the 'Two sides : The Very Best of Mike Oldfield' ... Amazon UK

:zzz:
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 19 2012, 19:02

To clear up the confusion about whether these releases are newly remastered or use the 2000 master, the word from the men at the top is that these are newly mastered for 2012 and not simply reissues of any earlier version. I believe that all versions - CDs and vinyl - will be made from these masters, contrary to what any websites or what anyone else from Universal might have said!
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 19 2012, 20:57

Quote (Ugo @ June 19 2012, 15:40)
He now has veto over any release, since now he has control of his Virgin era catalogue.

This is why I think we can put all our minds at rest about ever getting a 5.1 mix of Amarok. As far as I know Mike doesn't really like that album any longer, maybe he never did.

Very good :-) It's my kind of humor.

It's a shame that MO is not so critical regarding his compilation "Icon" which presents a kind of random track list.

Maybe his veto is the reason for the modest extend of the 2012 deluxe editions. I'm quite glad MO likes his early concerts. Otherwise there wouldn't be a 2nd disc in the sets.

Nothing against artistic freedom, but if Light & Shade is still available where's the problem with Sally ?
Profile PM 
Cudsie Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 02:26

Quote (stpaul @ June 19 2012, 20:57)
[quote=Ugo,June 19 2012, 15:40][quote]

It's a shame that MO is not so critical regarding his compilation "Icon" which presents a kind of random track list.

Nothing against artistic freedom, but if Light & Shade is still available where's the problem with Sally ?

My sentiments exactly!

So it looks like the only chance any rarities could be released digitally will be on some future retrospective when Mike has long gone - unless he has already burned the tapes he doesn't like  - or they become too degraded to be used...

As an artist I suppose we have to respect his decision as to what he deems acceptable to be out in the public domain - they are his children after all. Just a pity these things couldn't get a limited release just for the fans - perhaps just available through this website...even as just a download perhaps!
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 03:10

Quote (Korgscrew @ June 19 2012, 19:02)
To clear up the confusion about whether these releases are newly remastered or use the 2000 master, the word from the men at the top is that these are newly mastered for 2012 and not simply reissues of any earlier version. I believe that all versions - CDs and vinyl - will be made from these masters, contrary to what any websites or what anyone else from Universal might have said!

Now, that's really good news! :)
Profile PM 
Atane Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 03:26

Quote (HuanCry @ June 19 2012, 18:28)
Guess what's the pic on the cd cover for the 'Two sides : The Very Best of Mike Oldfield' ... Amazon UK

Track-listing for this compilation is as follows:

CD1
   Tubular Bells
   Ommadawn
   Crises
   The Lake
   Amarok 1
   Amarok 2
   Tubular Bells II - Sentinel
   Supernova
   Ascension
   The Tempest

CD2
   Guilty
   Family Man
   Five Miles Out
   Moonlight Shadow
   Shadow On The Wall
   To France
   Etude
   Magic Touch
   Islands
   Heaven's Open
   Tattoo
   The Song of the Sun
   Summit Day
   Lake Constance
   Broad Sunlit Uplands
   The Doges Palace
   Amber Light
   Angelique
   On My Heart
Profile PM 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 03:27

Quote (TOBY @ June 19 2012, 14:25)
I also don't really think its almost criminal for him to be not doing a 5.1 mix of these albums. So few people listen to music on a 5.1 system. Even when there was a craze for it round about the time of the TB2003 5.1 mix not that many people were into it. I'd prefer a new stereo mix but even then I don't think any of these albums particularly need it.

I also think 5.1 is kind off unnecessary.
I mean I prefer proper stereo (perhaps 2.1) system over 5.1.
For the same price you can have far better sound. And if you always imagine the stage instruments are played in front of you all the time.
5.1 is definitely fun, but sitting among musicians, or instruments dancing around is kind of unnatural.
Really a matter of opinion. :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 04:34

Quote (Black Bunik @ June 20 2012, 03:27)
I also don't really think its almost criminal for him to be not doing a 5.1 mix of these albums. So few people listen to music on a 5.1 system. Even when there was a craze for it round about the time of the TB2003 5.1 mix not that many people were into it. I'd prefer a new stereo mix but even then I don't think any of these albums particularly need it.

For the same price you can have far better sound. And if you always imagine the stage instruments are played in front of you all the time.
5.1 is definitely fun, but sitting among musicians, or instruments dancing around is kind of unnatural.

For me, that 5.1 mixes are mostly unnecesary, but those mixes has one, big advantage: you can hear all the channels separately, so you can discover things, you can't normally hear in the stereo mix. When i heard Ommadawn channel by channel separately for the first time, i was flabbergasted, because i could to listen to some instruments that was almost unlistenable, very deep in the stereo mix, so this was like a new Ommadawn... or like the hearing to it at another angle... Love that really much!
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 04:37

I with you on that. I prefer stereo as I only have two ears.
Profile PM 
stpaul Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 04:45

It's brilliant, isn't it.........
.............................. it looks like a lousy fan-made bootleg cover.
Profile PM 
nickko Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 04:54

I am fortunate to have a 5.1 system and I appreciate the very few occasions where I can fully enjoy it. Personally I think Mike's music suits particularly to this kind of mix, his music is complex and you can still be surprised to discover unknown details after many listenings. OK you're in the music and not in front of a concert, but I think being in the music is what best characterizes his philosophy...
Profile PM 
Reena Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 05:08

Quote (Atane @ June 20 2012, 09:26)

CD1
   Tubular Bells
   Ommadawn
   Crises
   The Lake
   Amarok 1
   Amarok 2
   Supernova
   Ascension
   The Tempest

CD2
   Guilty
   Family Man
   Five Miles Out
   Moonlight Shadow
   Shadow On The Wall
   To France
   Etude
   Magic Touch
   Islands
   Heaven's Open
   Tattoo
   The Song of the Sun
   Summit Day
   Lake Constance
   Broad Sunlit Uplands
   The Doges Palace
   Amber Light
   Angelique
   On My Heart

Well... That's quite good for a new "Best of....". At least, that's what my first feeling is seeing this tracklist....
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 05:20

Quote (larstangmark @ June 17 2012, 15:10)
Quote (hairy old hippy @ June 16 2012, 16:17)
Yes indeed, it was recorded for the Reflections film, as was Woodhenge. Much has been said of Sally not sitting well with the rest of Platinum, I think if that's the case then maybe Woodhenge doesn't either.

When I first heard Platinum (could have been 1983?) I found Woodhenge to be the odd track that didn't quite fit. "Sally" sounds like a pop tune loosely based on the "Charleston" part of the title track. Woodhenge is the only track on the album that is not pop/rock/disco-influenced.
Woodhenge is a unique track though. It's a very minimalist/ambient type composition, perhaps a close cousin to the Hiawatha part of Incantations but with even less melody.

In fact Woodhenge makes me think of John Marshall's own track on Soft Machine's excellent "Seven" album:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya4PIfYxkO8

Suppose there is a bit of similarity there. Love Soft Machine 7 by the way, I wasn't too sure at first but their heavy jazz period crept up on me and I can't get enough now:)

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Black Bunik Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 05:28

Quote (equinoxe @ June 20 2012, 04:34)

For me, that 5.1 mixes are mostly unnecesary, but those mixes has one, big advantage: you can hear all the channels separately, so you can discover things, you can't normally hear in the stereo mix. When i heard Ommadawn channel by channel separately for the first time, i was flabbergasted, because i could to listen to some instruments that was almost unlistenable, very deep in the stereo mix, so this was like a new Ommadawn... or like the hearing to it at another angle... Love that really much!

I agree with you on that. It is definitley easier to notice and locate more instruments on Mike's albums like that.
However with good stereo mix on a good stereo equipment you can do the same. Instruments are just infront of you. :)
Good speakers will give you wide soundstage and good instrument location. Then you will notice things you never heard on album you've heard so many times. :)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 05:37

Quote (Reena @ June 20 2012, 05:08)
Quote (Atane @ June 20 2012, 09:26)

CD1
   Tubular Bells
   Ommadawn
   Crises
   The Lake
   Amarok 1
   Amarok 2
   Supernova
   Ascension
   The Tempest

CD2
   Guilty
   Family Man
   Five Miles Out
   Moonlight Shadow
   Shadow On The Wall
   To France
   Etude
   Magic Touch
   Islands
   Heaven's Open
   Tattoo
   The Song of the Sun
   Summit Day
   Lake Constance
   Broad Sunlit Uplands
   The Doges Palace
   Amber Light
   Angelique
   On My Heart

Well... That's quite good for a new "Best of....". At least, that's what my first feeling is seeing this tracklist....

So that's why i hate compilations, where we don't get any non-album tracks. There are only four compilation sets, that i have because of a big amount of rarity tracks:

- Elements (4cd edition + DVD)
- The Complete (for the only live tracks released officialy)
- The Platinum Collection (3CD boxset full of alternative single versions)
- The Boxed
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 06:14

Okay, multiple-reply time again...

@ TOBY: honestly, I'm not really sure about Mike's opinion on Amarok - about whether he likes it or not. Maybe I'm wrong and maybe I'm thinking about something else, but in various occasions he referred to it as angry, extremely complex, nearly impossible to perform, disjointed, chaotic, etc. I think he also called it a huge load he'd taken off his shoulders (again, I may be wrong). All this doesn't sound to me like praises. :) But then, Mike often has highly self-contradictory opinions about his own work - maybe he does love Amarok.

@ Korgscrew: Good news indeed. I just hope that the people at Universal don't screw them up (sorry for the horrible pun! :D) like they did with Abba's Complete Studio Recordings box set - re. "loudness war".

@ HuandCry: Hans C. does much better covers than that. :cool: The tracklist looks nice, though - not bad for a "Very Best of".

@ Black Bunik: the only 5.1 mix I actually liked of a MO work is the TB one (not TB2003 - the 5.1 remix of the 1973 album, as available in the Ultimate Edition). I didn't like any of the others - I listened to them once and put them on a shelf. :)

@ crises1980: I don't think that "Romance" and "Lakme" are embarassing at all, but I've already discussed this numerous times in this board and I don't want to go there again. :)

@ stpaul: what has "Sally" got to do with L+S?

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
alejandra Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 06:58

Mike Oldfield's official webpage STILL indicates that QE2 vinyl version is the 2000 remaster. It seems that "official" information is either inexact or simply they just don't care... then it's either carelessness or SHEER MISINFORMATION.
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 20 2012, 07:10

Quote (alejandra @ June 20 2012, 06:58)
Mike Oldfield's official webpage STILL indicates that QE2 vinyl version is the 2000 remaster. It seems that "official" information is either inexact or simply they just don't care... then it's either carelessness or SHEER MISINFORMATION.

Or maybe they actually used 2000 remaster for the vinyl release only, but on cd's we will got the new 2012 remaster. As far as i know there used to be a different master preparation for the vinyl and different for the cd's because of a technical specification for both mediums... Maybe 2000 mastering is good enough to use it as a master for the vinyl release? It's just my thoughts.
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < ... 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net