Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (14) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum and QE2 re-releases announced< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 21 2012, 16:02

Whatever you perceive to be value for money, so far as these re-releases and extra material are concerned, the current asking prices for the single CD editions seem fairly decent.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Navaira Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 16:07

Well... my 2 eurocents.

I will stick to my version of Platinum, which is a single 37:58 mp3 file with Sally included and mastering done by me. Perhaps not very well. But also not wall-of-sound well.

I'm very disappointed to see the re-mixes seem to end with Ommadawn and Hergest Ridge -- I was crazy excited about the re-mix of Incantations, only to discover there won't be one. There's nothing on the two new releases that would excite me, and the three or so properly unreleased tracks I will buy from iTunes as singles.

Generally, sigh. I really hoped for Definitive Super-Deluxe Re-Mixed And Re-Mastered And Thick Bookletted Editions and I would have paid shitloads of money for those. Platinum without Sally and with live tracks that have floated around for ages is not what I expected to see.

And whoever thinks Sally doesn't fit the album obviously missed the bit at 3:28 of Airborne. Into Wonderland, now THAT doesn't fit the album.

*growls a few more times, then goes back to the cave*

--------------
http://www.raygrant.com :: My album 'Exorcism' is out on iTunes now
Profile PM WEB 
TOBY Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 17:48

Quote (Navaira @ June 21 2012, 16:07)
And whoever thinks Sally doesn't fit the album obviously missed the bit at 3:28 of Airborne. Into Wonderland, now THAT doesn't fit the album.

To be fair the whole of the second side of Platinum sounds like a scrapped together collection of disparate tracks. I love Woodhenge but its probably the most ill fitting of all of them. It's always sounded to me more like an out take from Incantations.  

I don't know how anyone could think this was a good idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTn44G8q7t0

I love a bit of musical whimsy, and I've always loved it in Mike's work, but Airborne references or not Sally is taking it too far. I'll stick to the Horse Song.
Profile PM 
dazzler Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 18:20

Is there any tracklist available of this 2cd compilation?

Two Sides - The Very Best of Mike Oldfield
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 18:28

@ Navaira: I never said that it doesn't fit musically, I do know about the huge importance that Mike has always given to themes and reprises thereof starting from his very first album. I said that it doesn't fit sonically in that it is at odds with the overall sound of the album in a fairly dramatic way. "Into Wonderland", of course, fits sonically but not musically, so it's a mismatch as well. By the way, about Sally being in Airborne, I could make a very bad joke about the 506th and Band of Brothers, but I'd rather not to. :laugh:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 21 2012, 20:00

Quote (dazzler @ June 22 2012, 00:20)
Is there any tracklist available of this 2cd compilation?

Two Sides - The Very Best of Mike Oldfield

CD1
  Tubular Bells
  Ommadawn
  Crises
  The Lake
  Amarok 1
  Amarok 2
  Tubular Bells II - Sentinel
  Supernova
  Ascension
  The Tempest

CD2
  Guilty
  Family Man
  Five Miles Out
  Moonlight Shadow
  Shadow On The Wall
  To France
  Etude
  Magic Touch
  Islands
  Heaven's Open
  Tattoo
  The Song of the Sun
  Summit Day
  Lake Constance
  Broad Sunlit Uplands
  The Doges Palace
  Amber Light
  Angelique
  On My Heart

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
SimonUK Offline

Posted: June 21 2012, 20:15

Pre orders are cheap at Sainsburys for the new releases http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en....cd

--------------
"I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live"
(Josh Homme, from Queens Of The Stone Age - 'Go With The Flow').
Profile PM 
Dunebasher Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 07:04

Very disappointed with these, and won't be bothering with them - why should I buy stuff I've already got? The initial few deluxe editions reignited my waning interest in MO and made me think they were really going to get it right this time, but there's nothing on the Platinum or QE2 releases to get me excited at all.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 07:10

Quote (SimonUK @ June 21 2012, 20:15)
Pre orders are cheap at Sainsburys for the new releases http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.uk/en....cd

I was going by the even cheaper offers at HMV and the official site.   Five quid or 5.99 Euros.  Navaira wouldn't be that much more out of pocket compared to the price of 3 individual downloads.

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 07:46

Quote (Navaira @ June 21 2012, 16:07)

Oh yes indeedy, well spotted, this is Oldfield all over, the way he re-uses melodies in different sections of an album or even over different albums, variation on a theme etc.

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 22 2012, 07:56

Have a listen to the Reflection soundtrack at 14:31!

Reflection

:)
Profile PM 
equinoxe Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 08:38

Quote (manintherain @ June 22 2012, 07:56)

Reflection

Wooow! I didn't know, that piece was ever used or released in any form beside of Incantations Deluxe Edition. But now i see, the version of the Piano Improvisation is much better on that Reflection film, because of the guitar sounds!!! Marvelous!!! It seems the film has much of unreleased Mike's music, and it would be nice to see it released on DVD some time.
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 22 2012, 08:59

Quote (equinoxe @ June 22 2012, 12:38)
It seems the film has much of unreleased Mike's music, and it would be nice to see it released on DVD some time.

In theory, I believe you can get it on DVD from the English Arts Council - it's just they do it on an individual basis and you have to pay for the transfer from film, which works out very expensive for one DVD. I seem to remember hearing they might be able to bring the per-DVD cost down if a number of them were ordered at the same time, though...
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 12:05

Quote (equinoxe @ June 22 2012, 08:38)
Quote (manintherain @ June 22 2012, 07:56)

Reflection

Wooow! I didn't know, that piece was ever used or released in any form beside of Incantations Deluxe Edition. But now i see, the version of the Piano Improvisation is much better on that Reflection film, because of the guitar sounds!!! Marvelous!!! It seems the film has much of unreleased Mike's music, and it would be nice to see it released on DVD some time.

Indeed, I think Mike's forgotten about it though. According to his interview with Stuart Maconie he said he can't even remember recording it and after finding the tape came to the conclusion it must have been an improvisation. Looks more like soundtrack work to me, but then this film is full of demos of Ommadawn and Incantations maybe this is a Platinum demo?

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: June 22 2012, 13:10

It´s also a Ommadawn and Incantations demo. There were a couple of ideas he reworked and used on all these albums. It´s the same with the Space Movie soundtrack where he used musical ideas which never again surfaced.
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 22 2012, 14:21

Quote (manintherain @ June 22 2012, 18:10)
... where he used musical ideas which never again surfaced.

Exactly. Sections of the original TB demos appeared in Amarok as well ..
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: June 24 2012, 17:49

@ Pat, and off topic: some bits of Amarok are even older than the TB demos. Try listening to "Branches", on the Sallyangie bonus disc...  that's from 1968. :D

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Pat Gleeson Offline

Posted: June 25 2012, 07:57

Quote (Ugo @ June 24 2012, 22:49)
@ Pat, and off topic: some bits of Amarok are even older than the TB demos. Try listening to "Branches", on the Sallyangie bonus disc...  that's from 1968. :D

You're quite right - I forgot about that  :)
Profile PM 
Highlander Offline

Posted: June 26 2012, 07:31

Quote (SimonUK @ June 21 2012, 20:15)

Thanks for that - I couldn't see any cheaper anywhere else.  And after all my comments and negativity I've order Platinum Deluxe, QE2 Deluxe, Two sides and the 6 disc set - Guess I must be a fan! £47 for the lot from above link, not too shabby :)
Profile PM 
tubular_trekkie Offline

Posted: June 27 2012, 16:07

Neither the tracklisting on the Sainsbury's site or on Amazon lists 'Shiva' on the QE2 Deluxe Edition.

I wonder why?

--------------
"The concept of progress acts as a protective mechanism to shield us from the terrors of the future."

- from 'Collected Sayings of Muad'Dib' by the Princess Irulan
Profile PM 
273 replies since June 14 2012, 09:28 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (14) < ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13 14 ... >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net