Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum 2, Platinum2 ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
mazaffar Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 02 2004, 06:53

It would be great if Mike would do Platinum 2.  I was exhilerated when i first heard it - age 14.
Please Mike - do it.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 02 2004, 07:27

I thought Tubular Bells III was a little bit like a 'Platinum II': Mike Oldfield experimenting with current dance music styles.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 02 2004, 07:31

Nah. Platinum was much more than a simple experimentation with dance rhythms.

I'm also a big fan of the album, but I fear what would be the results of Mike revisiting other albums of the past, with his different mindset of these days, and all.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
mazaffar
Unregistered

Posted: April 02 2004, 08:21

what's the easiest way to contact him?
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 02 2004, 10:16

Get a mutual friend to introduce you...

Seriously, that's about the best way of contacting Mike. If you were, for example, to get his email or postal address, there is a very high likelihood that any attempts to get in touch with him would just be ignored - he doesn't talk to people unless he wants to.

I would recommend leaving any comments/suggestions for Mike here, or on the community forum at mikeoldfield.com - if Mike is interested in anything you mention, he will get in touch with you.
Profile PM 
Jonathan Heron Offline

Posted: April 02 2004, 11:39

I have to agree, a Platinum II would be a great idea. Platinum is my favorite piece of music of all time; even after listening it for the last 20 or so years it still sounds as great as it did when I first heard it.
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 02 2004, 14:12

Platinum, the instrumental on side one of the album of the same name is also one of my favourites.

Historically, it's quite a turning point for Mike into his more popular style (not that TB sold millions of copies! ) After the exegesis programme, he must have had a new found level of confidence. This is found in the generally outgoing nature of this instrumental, especially Part 2. Compare this directly with Hergest Ridge!

Shame about the brevity of it and the unecessary inclusion of the North Star arrangement. I guess Mike showed an interest to this piece from an off-shoot of Incantations. The first and second parts of Platinum should have taken up the 20 or so minutes. Still not a patch on Taurus 2 due to its short length and under development of ideas

I'd like to see a sequel to Platinum - as long as it's not called Platinum 2!

Really, just because he did Tubular Bells 2 doesn't mean he isn't happy with all his other works and wants to revisit them as well, though some might say he brought us a sequel to Moonlight Shadow with MITR on TB3

The only sequel bearing a number on the end of it that I'd be OK with is a Taurus 4, but the chances of him doing this are fairly slim

How to contact Mike? - Wait till episode 3 of Music VR is just released, and on its day of release or shortly after you will find Mike chatting online to fellow gamers. This is the best way of contacting him, but remember that we'd all like to ask him questions not about Music VR itself like you would...
Profile PM 
mazaffar
Unregistered

Posted: April 02 2004, 14:42

so when is episode 3 going to be released? I could put a note on my planner.
Jammer Offline

Posted: April 02 2004, 16:13

There has been no talk of the next Music VR so far. Maestro is still yet to be officially released as I write!

Check his website and this for news. I'm guessing it will be released within the next two or three years
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: April 13 2005, 13:23

Quote (Jammer @ April 02 2004, 14:12)
Really, just because he did Tubular Bells 2 doesn't mean he isn't happy with all his other works and wants to revisit them as well, though some might say he brought us a sequel to Moonlight Shadow with MITR on TB3

I've personally always thought that the whole idea of the Tubular Bells album was experimentation. The first - obviously exploratory into a completely new realm which has been defined using TBI (or 2003) ever since. TB II was the experiement where he tried to remake the first, keeping it's feel, but using brand new music. TB III was the experiment where he tried to remix the great experiement. (with a bit of new stuff thrown in) And in anticipation of lots of "Oh my god!" 's, here's my stipulations:

1.Source Of Secrets - something new, playing with an old theme (you just gotta have the piano bit at the beginning if it's Tubular Bells!;)
2.The Watchful Eye - a bridger
3.The Jewel In The Crown - I feel the track most related to decadence - but also to me, strangely reminiscent of parts of TSODE, I don't know why
4.Outcast - obviously a remake of the heavy bit from Altered State
5.Serpent Dream - something new? (I've only 14/22 albums so far)
6.The Inner Child - definately a Red Dawn remake I think
7.Top Of The Morning - again, something new?
8.Man In The Rain - I agree, so obviously Moonlight Shadow, but hey, what's wrong with that
9.Moonwatch - I find this strangely reminiscent of part 3/4 of Crises (funny how it's called Moonwatch, huh?)
10.Secrets - nothing to say here
11.Far Above The Clouds - you gotta have a bellsy bit

So that's what I've always thought anyways.  :)

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: April 13 2005, 13:56

I'd change a few of those, recognizing more of their sources from past versions of "Tubular Bells"

4.Outcast - Like the Caveman songs and also like "Sunjammer" on TB2 (and whatever the similar section is called in TB1).

6.The Inner Child - not only "Red Dawn" and "Russian", but similar to the soaring mandolin section before "Guitars...Bagpipes" in TB1 and its sequel "The Sunset Door" in TB2.

7.Top Of The Morning - Reminds me of both first sections from sides 2 of TB1 and TB2. It is like an evolution from "Weightless".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
10 replies since April 02 2004, 06:53 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net