Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Platinum, Does Mike say Platinum< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
TubularBelle Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 17:25

Does Mike whisper the word Platinum 6 seconds into the album? For years I have thought so but can find no-one to agree with me, Help?

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 17:26

I agree with you. :)

--------------
If I were music, I would be Enigmatism.
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 28 2004, 18:08

I still think it sounds more like "Guitar" than "Platinum". :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Nov. 29 2004, 10:28

i think he says "kids stuff"
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 07:15

I thought he said 'catch it', until I had better headphones where I now agree that it's 'Platinum'
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 07:53

Quote (Jammer @ Nov. 30 2004, 07:15)
I thought he said 'catch it'

Sure it wasn't "cat shit"?

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 14:38

Okay, I'll chime in. (Maybe there should be a poll about this...)

No matter how hard I try, I can't hear more than two syllables, so I'm pretty sure he's NOT saying Platinum. I'm not sure what he IS saying, but a rough transliteration of what I'm hearing may be rendered KEE-tah. Hence, I'm inclined to either agree with the Guitar conjecture or assert that he's saying Keytar.

-Carsten
Profile PM 
torbenyj Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 15:48

there is is a "s there, and it can't be platinum
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 18:28

And I'm sure that this is "Platinum". You should listen to it some more. :)

Anyway, it's very interesting how people can listen to the same sounds from such different aspects. I had to listen to the sample many times to realize how one can hear that as "guitar". :)

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 18:53

Yes, EeToN, the vocoded word that the staccato chords in the very beginning of Platinum are played on is indeed "Platinum". But that's not what we're talking about. :) What we're talking about is, as TubularBelle very correctly says in the first post above, is the word that's whispered about 6 seconds after the start of Platinum. And, as I repeat, I'm still convinced that it's "Guitar", although the guitar comes in a bit later. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
EeToN Offline

Posted: Nov. 30 2004, 19:41

I don't see... I cut out the whispered word, didn't I? (It's at 5 and half seconds, not 6 :)).

[It also took some time to me to realize how you could misunderstand my previous post. :D]
[But after I realized, it's really misunderstandable. However, the word Mike says can't be anything else but "Platinum" IMHO. ;)]

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
c_haese Offline

Posted: Dec. 01 2004, 14:24

As I've already mentioned in the poll thread, I've changed my mind from Guitar to Platinum. It really helped me to slow down EeToN's clip to half speed. Here's an Ogg Vorbis file of the slowed down version:

http://haese.homeip.net/~carsten/platinum_slow.ogg

Hope this helps,

Carsten.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Dec. 02 2004, 18:29

Yes... well... hmm...

*scratches his head thoughtfully* :)

Yes, it does really sound like "Platinum". But now I'm asking myself another question: Why did Mike say it, and mostly, why did he say it in that near-unintelligible way? :) After all, that section of the composition isn't really called "Platinum", but "Airborne". Or did Mike want to start the composition by announcing the title of the whole thing and not of its first part? ;)

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 03 2004, 05:22

Quote (Ugo @ Dec. 02 2004, 18:29)
Or did Mike want to start the composition by announcing the title of the whole thing and not of its first part? ;)

Yeah, that could be the case. And I dunno, but for some reason, that bit of speech sounds sped-up. Maybe he tried to transform the word into something rhythmical - which worked, I think.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
TubularBelle
Unregistered

Posted: Dec. 10 2004, 06:25

Well I am still convinced he says the word Platinum and I have never thought it sounded like anything else.
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: Dec. 13 2004, 20:15

Well, you must all have better hearing than I have. If I'm listening to the right sound (the one 6 seconds into the start of the first track on the album) I can't make out any words at all. In fact, I never realised that it even was a word. From what I can hear it starts with a 'p', then an 't' and what could either be a 's' or a 'ch'. I hope I'm listening to the right sound.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
Guimauve2 Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2005, 22:29

I hear "Platinum" too, and it is logical that it is "Platinum" that Mike says, because it is said on the beginning of the album called "Platinum".

For me, it makes sense.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2005, 04:22

Quote (Guimauve2 @ Jan. 16 2005, 22:29)
I hear "Platinum" too, and it is logical that it is "Platinum" that Mike says, because it is said on the beginning of the album called "Platinum".

For me, it makes sense.

Maybe it was retitled at the last minute because Virgin wouldn't let him call the album "Catshit" or "Fattybum".

;)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
TubularBelle Offline

Posted: Jan. 20 2005, 23:36

I'm started to wish the album was called Fattybum, I love it. Then I'd know it was all about me!

--------------
I hate getting up early. I didn't even realise there were two 6 o'clocks in one day!
Profile PM 
DanishDonJuan Offline

Posted: Jan. 21 2005, 03:46

:D  Fattybum.....hah that has got to be one of the best album titles I have heard in awhile.
That would make a great title for a future album I think.
As for me I originally thought the voice said 'Guitar' but I'm not so sure anymore. I can definately see how you can get 'Platinum' from it as well.

--------------
If every road we traveled were the easy, we would be weak, and would eventually think every road difficult.
If every road we traveled tough, we would be strong and eventually think no road to be difficult.

Its the tough road that leads to happiness.
A smooth sea never made a great sailor.
Profile PM 
30 replies since Nov. 28 2004, 17:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net