Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Pipe Tune, What a wonderful theme< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Delfín Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 21 2004, 16:11

You know, I've known 'Pipe Tune' for quite a long time, but I didn't really point my ears on it so much until these few lasts days. What a wonderful song!!! As I reckon, it must be a leftover from Incantations, but I can't understand how Mike put it out in the cold, specially when some parts in the album are worse and more monotonous, more specifically in part 2.

The melody that is played alond with the bagpipe and the sleigh bells is one of the basic melodies I'd use to describe the beautiful magic of Mike's music. I love the song and I'd love to know a bit more about it. I have it in an MP3 and the song is faded in the beginning and the end, so it could be maybe longer. What do you know about it, and do you like it so much as well???

Javi el Delfín>

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2004, 21:18

I think it sounds a little "Related" to Incantations, but I think it would have been very out of place if it had been included in the album. Sure, the end of it is the Incantations "translition" theme, but as I recall, the "Pipe Tune" does not contain either of the two themes (arpeggio or Diana) that link all of the album. It also has an airiness and simplicity to it, while "Incantations" is almost entirely complex, aggressive, or somber .

I remember it was a wonderful song, but I likely have not heard it in 20+ years. I got it on a single (45) when it first came out. I should probably look for an MP3 of it. But yes, I do like it very much.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2004, 05:08

I love Pipe Tune.  In fact I was listening to it this Saturday just gone.  If ever a tune of Mike's was out of print and didn't deserve to be it's this one.  I can't understand how it was left off both the Complete and the Elements compilations.  I love that undulating synth, the 'pipes' and the gentle electric guitar.  One of his best short instrumentals.  I also think it's neat the way it references Incantations (which was released after this single if I recall).  It's kind of a child of Incantations, maybe a reject from an earlier draft of the album?  I'm glad it didn't end up on the cutting room floor, that's for sure!

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Nov. 22 2004, 05:11

In fact, the arpeggio is there, at some point! I also have an MP3 of it, and it also fades-in and fades-out, but I'm pretty sure that's exactly how it appears on the 45 it was recorded directly from. It's fun the way it has a certain Ommadawn feeling about it, predicting themes from Incantations.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2004, 06:19

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ Nov. 22 2004, 05:11)
It's fun the way it has a certain Ommadawn feeling about it, predicting themes from Incantations.

Indeed.  In many ways it's the perfect bridge between Ommadawn and Incantations - almost as if that was its purpose and why Mike issued it as a single between the two albums.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2004, 08:47

The arpeggio? I might not have heard "Pipe Tune" since before I figured out long ago that Incantations was mostly linked by the arpeggio. I'm sure it's there, but I didn't notice.

How about "Cuckoo Song" (the B side)? I did not like it near as much as "Pipe Tune".

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2004, 08:53

Yes, Pipe Tune is gorgeous. And I entirely agree with all of the above comments.

(Now there's a first! Quick, someone, take a photograph or something! )
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2004, 09:43

Quote (hiawatha @ Nov. 22 2004, 08:47)
How about "Cuckoo Song" (the B side)? I did not like it near as much as "Pipe Tune".

I thought Cuckoo Song was the A side.  I guess it's more commercial, but Pipe Tune is infinitely more rewarding.  I do like Cuckoo Song all the same though.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2004, 10:14

Quote (familyjules @ Nov. 22 2004, 09:43)
Quote (hiawatha @ Nov. 22 2004, 08:47)
How about "Cuckoo Song" (the B side)?

I thought Cuckoo Song was the A side.

In fact it is ;)

Have a look here:
http://www.rzuser.uni-heidelberg.de/~jk0/oldfield/singles.htm
and here:
http://take-4.iespana.es/take-4/listasingles.html
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 2004, 18:29

So it was made BEFORE Incantations?? That's very interesting, I thought it was the opposite way. And now I understand it was kind of a rehearsal or a sketch for the new album...

With the sketches from this guy you could fill loads and loads of albums by other people!!! :p

Delfín el chiquitín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
9 replies since Nov. 21 2004, 16:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net