Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Piano Improvisation, Complex and experimental< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Feb. 04 2004, 15:21

I had never recorded a pure improvisation before, so that's why I did it. :) While I like it myself, I don't have a clue wether it's actually good or bad or whatever. I don't really have contacts with other piano playing people, you see.  So I wonder: is it listenable nonetheless?

The improvisation I'm talking about

Some notes:
My playing is greatly influenced by the late-classical composer Bartók. Mike Oldfield is somewhere in it too, though. Actually, the theme I use at 15:30 (the only theme that wasn't improvised, like the little theme that goes right before it) is based on hergest ridge. :)
Also, I'm aware of the several little distortions. I'm still looking for a nice effective way to work them away.

So! Help me out of my ignorance! ;)

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
Q! Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 07 2004, 16:52

whoa, that's rather long. well it certainly is listenable, most of it at least. :)
i'm not sure how should i rate this. i like your piano playing, and some themes are very nice but there's lot of chaos in there (but that's understandable. :)) overall - it's pretty good, i don't regret listening to that ;)

--------------
http://qisgod.host.sk/
Profile PM WEB 
Jammer Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2004, 17:18

Interesting to know you're influenced by Bartók. I noticed the use of tritones and polytonality. Perhaps a bit too Western song-like and modal to really sound like his music

Like Q! said, I like your piano playing. However, is your piano missing a dampener or is your sustain pedal stuck? If not, it might have helped not to not use it too liberaly at times

If you have a sequencer, it can be good to record improvisations such as these via a MIDI keyboard. You can then chop out any good bits and correct them later on. While the improvisation is not a piece as it is, it does present a great melting pot of ideas that you could use later on
Profile PM 
X11 Offline

Posted: April 02 2004, 09:00

Quote (2distortedguitars @ Feb. 14 2004, 17:18)
Interesting to know you're influenced by Bartók. I noticed the use of tritones and polytonality. Perhaps a bit too Western song-like and modal to really sound like his music

Like Q! said, I like your piano playing. However, is your piano missing a dampener or is your sustain pedal stuck? If not, it might have helped not to not use it too liberaly at times

If you have a sequencer, it can be good to record improvisations such as these via a MIDI keyboard. You can then chop out any good bits and correct them later on. While the improvisation is not a piece as it is, it does present a great melting pot of ideas that you could use later on

I would call that cheating creativity myself.

I dont play asskick piano like this dude, but I play guitar, I find messing around, and finding what I like, and then improving on it by ear is enough.

Using midi is okay, I just dont think artists are artists when there getting things and playing them and chopping them up with software is exactly talent, just listen to it again, and turn improv's into songs, or use ideas for a couple or somthing you work on.

Ok ill stop bitching about creativity and talent and how comuters are taking over the world and we will all be locked into a matrix like future of shitty computer generated music and the sky is falling down blah blah blah... and ill actually listen to the peice of music.

------------

After laying back and listening to this, I must say its brilliant, some bits a little rouch but still excellent. The music took me place simlar to how Mike Oldfields stuff can, I loved it. This will be on my playlist quite a lot now.

Good work man!

Rock on!

--------------
HTTP://X11.ROCKS.IT - my site.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 02 2004, 10:54

I don't personally see any difference between laying down notes in a sequencer and writing them on paper (well ok, of course there's a difference, but at the end of the day, the same information is being recorded, just in a different way), and writing compositions down on paper never harmed any of the master composers of the past.
I can't honestly see any reason why taking note of good musical ideas is cheating creativity, although I suppose you could claim that there's more creativity involved in making up a new tune because you've forgotten the one you came up with the day before...
There's also a problem, when working with improvisations of a length of the one presented here, which is that it's possible to get so absorbed in it that by the end, half of the good bits have been forgotten. So record it, you say...I would agree with that. But let me ask, is there a difference between recording a performance as audio and recording it into a sequencer (not technically speaking)? I'd not say there is really, they both give you a record of the notes, neither of which are your final performance (though they both could be if you wanted to go that way). The sequence offers an advantage, though - if you want to take musical ideas from it, there's no need to work out what you played and transcribe it, it's already there. You can pull your favourite parts out and put them straight into the final composition, where they can of course be reworked further. They can then be printed off as sheet music and played, or they can be played through a sound source to provide an audio guide, for people who work by ear...or they can be run straight through a sound source to produce a final recording. Which is best depends entirely on the end result the composer is after.

I use a combination of methods myself, sometimes working things over in my head before writing them on paper, sometimes feeding them into a sequencer and working on them in there, and sometimes playing around on an instrument until the right thing emerges. I can't really say that any method seems more 'creative' to me, or that one takes more talent than any of the rest (though I think it could be successfully argued that using several methods demands more ability than sticking to one). None necessarily has any bearing on the end result - I might take a sequence and play the notes by hand on an acoustic instrument, or I might take something that's come out of experimenting on an instrument and turn it into a sequence (though actually, if I'm fairly sure of what I want, I tend to bypass the sequencing stage and play things straight to audio instead).

I should comment on the music while I'm here! There's certainly some interesting stuff in there, and it does come across as being listenable. Certainly worth plundering for ideas...
Profile PM 
Music, the ancient language... Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 03 2004, 04:27

Thanks to all!

--------------
Read everything I write at own risk.
I cannot be held responsible  for
depressions and/or suicide attempts
of any kind, caused by reading my posts.
Profile PM 
5 replies since Feb. 04 2004, 15:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net