[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Phillip Glass involvment?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
ekloef Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 27 2004, 16:38

Hello there!

I was just listening to my Platinum Reissue CD the other day and read on the cover that Phillip Glass was credited as arranger? How much was he involved with this?

Thank You!

--------------
https://www.instagram.com/robtch/
Profile PM 
Tati The Sentinel Offline

Posted: April 27 2004, 21:01

Oh no,those wrong notes from the HDCD version...the only relation between Phillip Glass and Mike is the fact that North Star from PG was covered by Mike on Platinum Part 4.

--------------
"But it's always the outsider, the black sheep, that becomes the blockbuster." - Mike Oldfield, 2014

"I remember feeling that I'd been judged unfairly and that I was going to prove them wrong." - Peter Davison, 2011
Profile PM WEB 
ekloef Offline

Posted: April 28 2004, 02:52

Thanks!
It is a shame that some many errors have found their way on to the remastered CDs. I sold almost all of my old CDs to get the HDCDs instead. I have not been disipointed with them but lately while surfing the web I have learned that there are many misstakes on them. Allthough I think they sound good and some of hte old CDs that I have had and seen does look very "cheap"...

Bye for now!

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 28 2004, 10:06

The other connection is Platinum's co-engineer Kurt Munkacsi, who was engineer and co-producer for Philip Glass's North Star album (in fact, he's worked on quite a number of Glass albums). Kurt was also one of the engineers on Exposed.

The things you never thought you wanted to know...
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: April 29 2004, 05:34

That was interesting. I have some other albums with Philip Glass that are good. One where he has reamde the music by Bowie & Eno into a symphony. Recommended.

How is Glass' version on North Star? Any good?

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 29 2004, 09:38

Haven't heard it, but I suppose it's closer to the spirit of "Minimalism" Glass is known for. Some people complain it's too repetitive. Well... er, that's the point.

Perhaps it's worth a check if you dig Philip Glass. I want to listen to Music In Twelve Parts if I ever have the opportunity.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 29 2004, 10:09

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ April 29 2004, 09:38)
Haven't heard it, but I suppose it's closer to the spirit of "Minimalism" Glass is known for.

Definitely. It's a very good and very typical Glass piece, but nothing like Mike's version. Mike basically just used the same chords and the same chant. All the guitar stuff, and the arrangement, are entirely his own.
Another Glass album I can recommend is "Hydrogen Jukebox" which he made in collaboration with poet Allen Ginsberg.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: April 29 2004, 10:22

Quote (Holger @ April 29 2004, 10:09)
Mike basically just used the same chords and the same chant. All the guitar stuff, and the arrangement, are entirely his own.

That's what I guessed. It's a "rearrangement", after all, and I didn't expect Philip to be using disco beats and all.

I suppose the Glass original uses an orchestra, or something similar?

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 29 2004, 12:03

As far as I remember it's just voices (grouped into male and female if I remember correctly, been a while since I heard it myself), but there might be other instruments. It's not an orchestral piece though.
Profile PM 
dreamweaver Offline

Posted: April 29 2004, 16:20

Koyaanisqatsi is quite something too....

--------------
I sent my Soul through the Invisible,
Some letter of that After-Life to spell:
And by and by my Soul return'd to me,
And answer'd "I Myself am Heaven and Hell:"
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: April 30 2004, 04:44

Hello!

The Glass album with music by Brian Eno and David Bowie is called "Low" (Just like the Bowie record" and is based on themes found on that record. Check it out for some good orchestral stuff. I also have a Cd called "The Photographer" it is ok.

If you want repetative stuff your have to check out Steve Reich, he is great. And also "In C" by Terry Reily. That is a record you should listen to at a low volume just before you go to sleep.

Later!

--------------
Profile PM 
mcguitar Offline

Posted: April 30 2004, 10:55

Oldfield did a re -arrangement of Philip Glass's North Star.
The real story behind is that while recording parts of platinum
in the USA he met Philip Glass he sugested  Mike doing a version of his North Star. Mike did a great arrangement of it more beautiful than on the record. There where some great chior parts. But Virgin didn't like Mike's arrangement David Bedford made a new arrangement wich was recorded.

MC
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: April 30 2004, 12:55

Well... the version on Platinum doesn't sound to me like David Bedford had anything to do with it really, and he's not credited for it either, for all I know.
Profile PM 
mcguitar Offline

Posted: May 01 2004, 07:18

This information you can read in the very good Biography on Mike by Sean Moraghan (ISBN 0-9519937-5-5) Page 110:
“The last part of the long composition, Platinum Finale, incorporates Mike’s arrangement of North Star, the title track of Philip Glass’s most recent Virgin release…..  
Mike also developed the choral element of the piece, re-arranged by David Bedford making it less subtle… The choir here may be the ‘massed voices’ which Mike had said a few months earlier he intended to record”

and this was confessed by Mike during an interview he gave for Dutch Radio in 1984 with the addition he met Philip Glass before requisting him doing this version.
I do have a recording of this interesting  interview.

MC
Profile PM 
ekloef Offline

Posted: May 01 2004, 08:20

McGuitar

That was some very interesting information indeed... I would love to hear that first version of North Star that you are talking about...

I started to think about the meeting between Oldfield and Glass when I read the credit that he got on the PLATINUM CD. I was surprised to hear that Mike let somebody else arrange the music on his album at that time. But as it turns out this was just a misstake in the sleeve notes...

Thanks again for all replys... as I am a little new to this "forum-thing" I am very happy with all the great info I am getting so far...

--------------
Profile PM 
Eillighianthell
Unregistered

Posted: May 14 2004, 21:19

Hello!

I'm a great fan of Mike's and Philip's music. I think that there is another connection with Philip Glass' music in Mike's works than "Platinum part 4". If you know Glass' "Music in 12 parts" you surely have found some reflections on "Incantations". Long and very repetitive tracks, very similar lenght of each track and also similarities in climax. I think Mike was inspirated by Glass' composition while he was writing "Incantations"... this album is exceptional and I think it was really great Mike's try to work on some repetitive music.
mcguitar Offline

Posted: May 18 2004, 16:53

I am sure he is influenced by Philip Glass's music.
There is also a source that tells that Mike treid to convince Richard Brandson to release music of Glass at Virgin.
1000 AIRPLANES ON THE ROOF(1989) & NORTH STAR (1977)
are both released at Virgin!

MC
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: May 19 2004, 09:41

Incantations surely brings some ideas of minimalism. I'd love to hear Music In 12 Parts myself. Of course, I wasn't aware it was 3 hours long before I researched it a little, but I'd still love to hear it.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
Looroll Offline

Posted: June 07 2004, 15:12

I was recently doing my GCSE exam, and there was a question about Phillip Glass on it! It was quite ironic as I had only that morning got the record of Platinum out of the attic to listen to it! Strange how things work out!

--------------
Common sense is a game many people don't like to play...
Profile PM 
Thomas
Unregistered

Posted: June 27 2004, 18:21

I have "Music in 12 parts" on vinyl. 6 records = 12 sides = 12 pieces of music of about 20 minutes. Every "song" has one basic musical idea that often very easy can be noticed. Repetive musical style on every track. Instrumentation is the same on all tracks: 3x electric organs (Farfisa?), soprano sax, flute, voice (without lyrics ...). It is similar to "Incantation" but much more reduced in harmonic changes and dynamic. Very minimalistic. I love it, but it's not easy to listen to all 12 parts the same day. The complete record has been released in the end of the 80s or somewhere in the 90s while the music is from 1973 I guess and only part one and two has been released in the 70s. Maybe the record company (Virgin???) was not sure about financial risks... BTW: IMHO, Anything of Steve Reich is more interesting!!!
32 replies since April 27 2004, 16:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net