Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Phillip Glass involvment?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: June 27 2004, 19:38

I heard the story that, originally, "Music In 12 Parts" was just the FIRST part, and was titled like that because there were 12 parts for 12 instruments. When he showed it to someone, he replied "that's good, but where are the other 11 parts?" And so, the rest of the piece was born.

It would be very cool to have the 6 LP's. Yes, I'm a freak. :D

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
Holger Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 28 2004, 05:06

Quote (Guest @ June 27 2004, 18:21)
BTW: IMHO, Anything of Steve Reich is more interesting!!!

I tend to agree. While there are a few Glass pieces I quite like (Hydrogen Jukebox, Dracula score), I generally like Steve Reich the most out of the "big three" of "minimal music" (Reich, Glass, Riley), definitely I like Reich's actual "minimalist" works better than Glass' (the Glass works I referred to above can't really be called that, though I really don't mean to start another what is and what isn't debate here!), and even though Mike used to constantly be compared to Terry Riley in his TB days, I think all in all his 70s work is closer to what Reich has done (though I still haven't got around to hearing Riley's "A Rainbow In Curved Air").
Profile PM 
Thomas
Unregistered

Posted: June 29 2004, 04:38

Information for all who want to know it:
Music in 12 parts

• Original music composed by Philip Glass.
• Performed by The Philip Glass Ensemble.
• Music In 12 Parts - Parts 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 & 6:
? Philip Glass: keyboards.
? Michael Riesman: keyboards.
? Richard Landry: flute, soprano saxophone.
? Jon Gibson: flute, soprano saxophone.
? Richard Peck: alto & tenor saxophones.
? Joan La Barbera: voice.
? Recorded May, 1975 at Greene Street Studios, New York City.
? Recording Engineer: Kurt Munkacsi.
? Assistant Engineer: Blaise Dupuy.

• Music In 12 Parts - Parts 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 & 12:
? Martin Goldray: keyboards.
? Michael Riesman: keyboards.
? Jack Kripl: flute, soprano saxophone.
? Jon Gibson: flute, soprano saxophone.
? Richard Peck: alto & tenor saxophones.
? Dora Ohrenstein: voice.
? Recorded December, 1987 at The Living Room Studio, New York City.
? Recording Engineer: Miles Green.
? Assistant Engineer: Blaise Dupuy.

I have to add: "keyboards" means on tracks 1 - 6 "electric organ" (I guess Farfisa), maybe in the new recording 7 - 12, too. Not sure.

"All of my works which predate 1976 fall within the highly reductive style known as minimalism. I feel that minimalism can be traced to a fairly specific timeframe, from 1965 through 1975, and nearly all my compositions during this period may be placed in this general category. All such categories are arbitrary, however, and can be misleading. For example, although Music in 12 Parts would most likely be classified as a minimal work, it was a breakthrough for me and contains many of the structural and harmonic ideas that would be fleshed out in my later works. It is a modular work, one of the first such compositions, with twelve distinct parts which can be performed separately in one long sequence, or in any combination or variation."

- Philip Glass

found at:
http://www.glasspages.org/12parts.html

In 1996 a new recording of "Music in 12 parts" has been made. I didn't have this one.
I also have the single LP version from the seventies of part one & two (same cover design in red). Interesting to state: some (but not all) parts are chained on the LP version, so part two starts on side one at the very end, lasting about one minute or so and ends as cutted with a razor, starting at side two from exact this point. Isn't it typical for the 70s? Today nobody wants to confront his listeners with such harsh cuts ... ;-)

"Rainbow in a curved air"? Must listen again. I remember soprano sax, organs, Rocksichord, no drums, recording techniques with tape loops (recording phrases on top of the other till saturation of the tape; like Robert Fripp). Interesting other way of Minimal Music. It's more "hippy-esk" than the mathematical structure of Phillip Glass.
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: June 29 2004, 07:10

Typical? Hmm, not quite! I can't remember many LP's that cut off music like that. The only similar occasion I can think of is ELP's "Karn Evil 9" that occupies the whole side 2 and part of side 1, but it doesn't end like that, if I'm not mistaken.

If anything, things like that are typical for 8-tracks, but even then they used fade-outs and fade-ins.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Profile PM WEB 
Thomas
Unregistered

Posted: July 02 2004, 08:55

Typical... well, what I wanted to explain is not only that kind of changing from side one to two but in general the often lovingly but to us now a bit naive way of different sounds, sound-designs etc... like extrem panorama in the early 70s, too much reverb or little bit unprecise drummers... All the things you'll not find very often in todays computer-mixed, and/or -generated music with the wish for airplay and listeners who have not the will to close listening.
Coming back to "Music in 12 parts": here you can
(1) listen very close to the minimal details that are changing very slow or
(2) use it as a kind of "musical furniture" (in the way of Erik Satie) and this is also nice, because the music is so much stereotype, you can read books or the newspaper without any notice of special musical highlights... ;-))
Sir Mustapha Offline

Posted: July 02 2004, 09:08

Don't diss the unprecise drummers! :D Yep, I know that in the late 60's/early 70's, there was that fetish to make the music sound "futuristic" with reverb, "enhanced Stereo" and those kinds of things that sound dated to our ears, now. But... I miss that time when music didn't need to be perfect to be splendid. The drummer misses the mark. In the 70's, that added character. In the 90's, that's an inexcusable crime and must be punished. Music was much more interesting, back then! Also, the recording technologies were much more limited, and when some Beatles recorded some "Tomorrow Never Knows" or some "A Day In The Life", it was unbelivable. Today, you can simulate effects like that just rolling a few knobs, and nobody cares.

There I am again, impersonating the old geezer. And I'm only 18. Sheesh.

--------------
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: July 02 2004, 09:34

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 02 2004, 09:08)
There I am again, impersonating the old geezer. And I'm only 18. Sheesh.

If only there were a few more of you young old geezers around the world would be a better place, Sir M!

:)

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
Jammer Offline

Posted: July 02 2004, 10:40

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ June 29 2004, 12:10)
Typical? Hmm, not quite! I can't remember many LP's that cut off music like that. The only similar occasion I can think of is ELP's "Karn Evil 9" that occupies the whole side 2 and part of side 1, but it doesn't end like that, if I'm not mistaken.

Nope. It was consciously made to span the two sides on purpose. The first side fades out after an instrumental passage and on the second side Greg Lake sings the line "Welcome back, my friends..."

On CD versions of this they just stuck the whole thing together thereby loosing a lot of the charm and sense of that vocal line. I hear that some Jethro Tull records have had the same thing happen to them. The LP of Brain Salad Surgery also has a special sleve with a see-through hole in the middle, but I'm getting even more off topic by mentioning that :)

I gave Terry Riley's 'Rainbow in Curved Air' a listen once. As with most minimalist music you only need to know a few things about it to get the gist:

I think Thomas might be more reliable, but from what I remember there is not much else than an overdubbed organ playing from a basic default Hammond organ sound. It consists of no real harmony. Just one key all the way through. It is more like an indeterminate improvisation - far from a precise mathematical work like the later works of Reich and Glass. One thing that separates Riley from the other minimalists was that he was primarily a performer rather than a composer. Clear-cut methods of composition didn't appeal to him

As for any signs of it influencing Mike's music. I think the beginning section of 'Finale' before the grand piano comes in uses the idea of an organ drone as found in parts of 'A Rainbow in Curved Air'. Other than that it might have only helped Mike to be more tolerant of repetition. I wonder what classical minimalist music Mike had known when he wrote Incantations
Profile PM 
Markus Muench
Unregistered

Posted: July 10 2004, 05:23

..listen first to Steve Reichs "Music for 18 Musicians" (witch was composesed in 1974-1976) and then to Oldfields "Incantations" (1978). There you can hear the main influences for that album. Minimalism in general influenced a lot of Oldfields music. F.ex. listen to Terry Rileys "A rainbow In Curved Air" and than to "Tubular Bells".  The opening themes a both in different meters ("Metren" in german) and the whole construct has very much similarities. For those who are very interested in that topic (early minimalism) I recommend the music of steve reich very much....
Sysiyo Offline

Posted: Oct. 24 2004, 16:27

Quote (ekloef @ April 30 2004, 11:44)
The Glass album with music by Brian Eno and David Bowie is called "Low" (Just like the Bowie record" and is based on themes found on that record. Check it out for some good orchestral stuff.

There's also Glass' version of Bowie "Heroes" with the title "Heroes" Symphony. Around 1997 there was also talk of Bowie and Glass writing a third symphonic piece together, but nothing has come of it to date.

For Glass' album I'd like to mention the classic Glassworks, and Koyaanisqatsi which was mentioned earlier.
Profile PM WEB 
chumpy Offline

Posted: Jan. 18 2005, 11:08

Hi guys!

I'm new on here! Just wanted to say, this thread has been SO useful to me!! I'm taking my music exam tomorrow (final year degree in music and environmental management) and i was just researching some mike oldfield background info (cuz he's a fantabulous composer!;)  :D

Links to Phillip Glass are awesome....just what i need for my exam on modernism and postmodernism!!  ;)

Thanks guys!
Profile PM 
Bert
Unregistered

Posted: Feb. 08 2005, 12:04

I recorded a jazz version of the Koyaanisqatsi theme a while back.  You can find an MP3 of it here:

http://www.lichterfamily.com/Rob/mp3/qatsi.mp3

I'd love to hear any comments.
hiawatha Offline

Posted: Feb. 08 2005, 12:23

A reminder: please add yourself to the properties for this mp3 file. I could not find anything.

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
32 replies since April 27 2004, 16:38 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net