Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Phillip Glass< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Wojtek Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Feb. 09 2001, 15:41

Hi
I would like to reccomend music of Phil Glass to all of you. Glass plays more classical music than Oldfield, but you may find many similar things. He also made a part of Paltinium album. Anyone has heard him before? I'm waiting for your impressions.
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Feb. 09 2001, 18:23

How could any Oldfield fan not like Glass... he's great. I especially like his 'Hydrogen Jukebox' album which he did with Allen Ginsberg not too long before Ginsberg died. I also like his Violin Concerto and Koyaanisqatsi soundtrack. I've also got Einstein on the Beach and Music with changing Parts but these two are a bit too exhausting for my taste. And I've got an MP3 of the original North Star (because I couldn't find the CD anywhere) and I love it! It's quite different from Mike's version, but then it isn't on the other hand - know what I mean?
Profile PM WEB 
bennyboy Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2001, 10:23

I am an Oldfield fan, and I am not a fan of Glass.

His music I find is either breathtaking (the soundtracks for "Kundun" and "Candyman") or unlistenable ("Glassworks").

His music is very, very VERY repetitive, it drives me nuts sometimes.

I find his music is usually better suited to soundtracks where his minimalist textures can add mood to the piece without being irritating cause your not concentrating on just the music...

However I acknowledge the fact that he is truly one of the twentieth centuries most daring and innovative composers, albeit one of the most uneven too....
Profile PM 
Archangel Foster Offline

Posted: Feb. 11 2001, 16:58

Not trying to start an argument, but I didn't write that any Oldfield fan has to be a Glass fan as well, but that any Oldfield fan should also like Glass, which you seem to do, too! As I wrote, I find some of his stuff much too exhausting for my taste (OK, I wrote 'a bit', but 'much' is rather the word wink). But some is great!
Profile PM WEB 
Wojtek Offline

Posted: Feb. 14 2001, 08:15

benny boy wrote:
> His music is very, very VERY repetitive, it drives me nuts sometimes.

Oldfield music is repetitive too. But I don't think that this is a disadvantage.

> I find his music is usually better suited to soundtracks where his minimalist textures can add mood to the piece without being irritating cause your not concentrating on just the music...

For me some pieces of Glass music are so good, than I can't concentrate on anything else...

Profile PM 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2002, 01:47

Ive read somewhere that people have said that they don't like that MO version of North Star because they "Don't like the Philip Glass version" and also that "Mike Oldfield's version doesn't sound like Philip Glass at all."

To not like that MO version just becaue they don't like the Philip Glass version is stupid because they are completly different songs, they just use the same tune, and they don't sound the same because one is in the style of Philip Glass and one is in the style of Mike Oldfield. Just because the MO one is based of the Philip Glass one doesn't mean that it has to sound exactly the same.

by the way Koyaanisqatsi by Philip Glass rulz.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Baggiesfaninessex Offline

Posted: Mar. 29 2002, 08:50

'The Photographer' is my favourite Glass album. Act 3 is breathtaking, challenging and...yes... repetitive. But the way the music builds with various textures, loops, voices and variations is rewarding and the momentum that builds towards the climax is ... dare I say it ... orgasmic!

BTW - I listen to it alone because evryone else hates it!! No comment!

--------------
“A dog is not intelligent. Never trust an animal that's surprised by its own farts.” - Frank Skinner
Profile PM 
6 replies since Feb. 09 2001, 15:41 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net