Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Performing with laptop on stage< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Blue Dolphin Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 13 2003, 15:36

I'm seriously looking into the possibility of performing with a laptop connected to a workstation synth of mine. I know someone (or more) here on the forum performs with a laptop on stage, I discussed it with someone before on this forum, but I can't remember who it was and in which topic.... anyone? was it booster maybe?

But I have this rather large collection of synths now, and I wanted to take them on the road, but I came to the conclusion that it isn't really practical (especially with my Eminent 310 Unique organ). Maybe it's possible unless your name is Jarre and you have a lot of roadies in service. ;)

So, let's take it the easy way. Laptop with a couple of soft synths (the Arturia Moog Modular and CS80 sounded very impressive!! ), maybe Native Instruments etc., and of course a sampler (could be hardware or software).

Now, I wanted to ask what kind of hardware I need? I know you need a low latency soundcard so the midi transfer between the workstation and laptop is minimal. But how does this work? Is this a soundcard with a box connected to it with outputs for the jacks, so you can connect it to an amplifier?

Furthermore, the discussion between Windows and Apple. Windows 2000 or Mac OS? I know Apple is stable, and I have the experience that Windows 2000 can fail or sometimes crash. But I mainly work with PC's, and software synths are only sold to one platform. So, if have a softsynth for apple, it won't work on the pc. (darn)

Than you've got the second choice: will it be a laptop? You can also carry a desktop computer with you. Desktop computers are more powerful and upgradable, but laptop is more compact.

And what kind of software can I use for sequencing the tracks I won't play? Cubase, Pro Tools, Proppelerhead Reason?? Does somebody know if it is possible that these programs can automatically, for example, change the preset sound I play further in the song? So, I'm playing this song for about 1 minute with a flute song, but it has to change to a sax sound for the solo. Can this be done automatically?

And last, the discussion between soft synths and hardware synths, but lets not get into this.... Softsynths can be handy, of course they do not sound equally to the hardware ones, but it's getting really close.

And for the workstation I want to use my Roland D-50, but I'm thinking of buying a Clavia Nord Lead 3. Something for the future. :)

Oh, I almost forgot! I also want to use a headset microphone for vocoder sounds on the laptop. There are several vocoder programs. I know of orange. Are there better ones? And how can I connect the microphone on my computer? I don't want one with and 3,5 mm jack, but a microphone headset with XLR connected to the pc.

Many thanks!

--------------
-The mark of a good musician is to play one note and mean it-

Mike Oldfield - 1980
Profile PM 
0 replies since Nov. 13 2003, 15:36 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net