[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Peace cover, My first...< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Trinidad Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 25 2007, 04:05

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WJ54YRR1

At last, after hundreds and hundreds of attempts, here's the first cover (and musical piece) I've ever finished, an excerpt of Peace played on piano (not real).

I'm not in any way a musician (as you can listen from the cover). I just bought some time ago a keyboard, and I've been trying to learn how to play it. And the more I learn, the more I get addicted. I'd recommend everybody who haven't tried, to get an instrument and learn it; it's truly terrific when you get some practice. Now I just can't stop playing :) .

This is for sure one of my favourite pieces to play (ok, ok, I just know two or three more, so there aren't many to choose :D). I learned the left hand part (which would be the guitar in the original) from one of the MIDI files here, since the version I first came up with myself didn't sound so right. A pair of parts at the end are slightly different, though.

Bad comments, critics, etc.,  are welcome (not that I can expect them, especially when I don't use to comment much on other people's works :/).
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 05:11

Well, you're a dark horse, and no mistake!

The most important thing to say is that I enjoyed listening to it. There are moments when the playing becomes very fluid and expressive, and quite moving. (I couldn't even begin to produce such a performance, myself, at any level.)

One reason for its success, it seems to me, is that you understand your limitations and work within them - so the treatment is simple, and basic - but you do that pretty well, and so it works. If that were my work, I'd be hugely encouraged by my progress. Good for you, Trinidad.
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 10:47

don't have much to say : beautiful cover, i really enjoyed it.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 13:54

Already you play better than I do.  :(

Very well done! Id love to have your talent of playing the keyboard. Maybe music lessons will help me on my way, but I don't know...seems like you have two brains, each controlling one hand and I have only one brain. :)

I'm sure that if you continue to practice, we'll hear some beautiful things from you! You say you've started recently, and already you get the right emotion in your playing on more than one occasion.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 15:23

Quote (Nicolas @ June 25 2007, 19:54)
Id love to have your talent of playing the keyboard.

Seriously, here're many truly talented artists, and I'm soooo far from being one. Just practice, perseverance, and one of those strange times when everything goes right: I made an awful amount of attempts till I got something decently close to what I wanted. I don't think I'd be able to repeat that in ages.

Quote (Nicolas @ June 25 2007, 19:54)
You say you've started recently

No, not exactly. I bought the keyboard around one year ago, though for some time it was just one of those things you buy and forget - there're too many things I'd like to do, and not enough time for all, you know. Thank goodness I didn't forget it forever!

Sincerely, many thanks. You have encouraged me a lot.
Profile PM 
Nicolas Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 16:07

One year is recent in my book. I've been playing for 4 years (but not too often though...) and I'm still quite close to "nowhere"... :)
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 16:26

I've played it a couple more times this evening - not just because it's you, Trinidad, but because it really is a lovely thing in its own right. That's the test.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 16:57

Quote (Nicolas @ June 25 2007, 22:07)
I've been playing for 4 years (but not too often though...) and I'm still quite close to "nowhere"...

Maybe the problem is that you don't play too often, as you say. In a book about guitar I'm reading, it says that there is a general consensus in that it's a lot better to practice in short but regular intervals than to play much time in one session each week, for example, and that a minimum of thirty minutes each day can be enough (the more the better, of course).

Quote (Alan D @ June 25 2007, 22:26)
I've played it a couple more times this evening

No, please, don't listen to it more! You'll end spotting all its flaws!!  :/  ;)
Profile PM 
nushky Offline

Posted: June 25 2007, 18:46

I also bought a little keyboard some months ago, but have little time to practice. Nevertheless, I'm glad to have found the TB opening theme on my own, although i can only play it at reduced speed.
Profile PM 
lunarian Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 14:14

A moment for peace. I enjoied, it's one of my favourites too. I can feel there is not MIDI running on this performance, only your hands.
Thank you for share.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 26 2007, 15:01

this is nice, just a pleasure to listen!  ;)
lovely.....

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 16:04

I'm truly grateful for your comments :)
Profile PM 
fastguy101 Offline

Posted: June 26 2007, 22:38

Trinidad,

There's nothing better for me than pure solo piano (and/or acoustic guitar) performed liked your effort. Beautiful, just beautiful.  

What did you use for the piano sound?

Mike
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 13:20

Many thanks, Mike :)

For the piano I used a demo of TruePianos, a lightweight VSTi, but with quite good sound. I've been searching for some time for free synths and samples, but I couldn't find anything close to that realism and fluency. I never thought this piece sounded right with piano, but when I found this software I just felt I had to record it. I'm thinking about buying it (though it's quite expensive! ).

And, err..., no, they aren't paying me for advertising the software :laugh:
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 14:55

The question on everyone's lips, of course, is "just how relaxing is Trinidad's playing?" So I decided to be scientific about it, as I once did on a previous occasion with a track from Light and Shade.

The results

Two blood pressure measurements made just before playing Trinidad's music: 145/91; 152/81
Two blood pressure measurements made just after playing Trinidad's music: 134/83; 134/81.

There's the proof. Trinidad's music will calm you down. You saw it here first.
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 15:46

OMG! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Then, should I sell it as tablets, or as suppositories? :D

Music is amazing, isn't it?
Profile PM 
fastguy101 Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 16:47

Trinidad,  How strange that you reference TruePianos Vst because I just discovered it last week and it is quite good.  I also downloaded the demo software and have been on the fence about buying it too.  

Another great Piano vst is Ivory.  Here's the link  http://www.synthogy.com/

It's not cheap but comes highly recommended by a friend of mine that has a professional recording studio.  

The key to the quality for either Vst is using a great controller keyboard that has weighted hammer action keys like a real piano.  I am shopping for one now and really like the Yamaha boards.

Keep doing what you are doing!
Mike
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 18:34

Quote (Trinidad @ June 27 2007, 20:46)
Then, should I sell it as tablets, or as suppositories?

Both.
And also as a linctus, as eardrops, as an embrocation, and as a self-help audiobook. You'll make a fortune.
Profile PM 
olracUK Offline

Posted: June 27 2007, 19:27

Looks like all that learning to control Avatars in MVR has given you excellent keyboard skills Trinidad!  :D

A very simple, excellent piece of work. I'm always surprised how good some songs are when taken down to the simplest format, stripping away the production and leaving the core beautiful like this.

Great stuff - keep practising and more please Maestro!

--------------
The answer is 42 - but what is the question?
Profile PM 
Trinidad Offline

Posted: June 28 2007, 12:23

Thanks, Andy!

Quote (fastguy101 @ June 27 2007, 22:47)
Another great Piano vst is Ivory.
[...]
The key to the quality for either Vst is using a great controller keyboard that has weighted hammer action keys like a real piano.

My hands and ears say "Yes, yes", but my wallet says "Ouch!" :/
Profile PM 
25 replies since June 25 2007, 04:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net