Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Patches for Zoom 505 guitar pedal?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Rileman Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Oct. 13 2005, 10:11

Does anybody have some great patches for the
Zoom 505 guitar pedal, to make (close as possible) the sound of Mike's guitar?

--------------
It's not easy going where no-one goes, and no-one knows...
Profile PM 
tanis573 Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 12:00

I have the same pedal, so I would like to know, too.

--------------
http://www.soundclick.com/mindbridge
Profile PM WEB 
ktran Offline

Posted: Dec. 05 2005, 23:05

Brandon (Musically Inspired) posted a bunch of patches some years back, so you can try a search for that.

But... I suggest, as a 505 owner/user myself, to just trust your ears, and to use a "less is more" approach with the pedal. It's very easy to get an over-processed sound with it, so my advice would be to hold back on the effects levels and use "just enough."

With MO's sound, there are so many factors involved (guitar used, pickups, volume/tone controls, amp, effects, studio tweaking, fingering and picking technique), that the best anyone can ever get is an approximation anyhow.

That being said, his more recognisable clean tones come from a single-coil neck-position pickup, with the tone rolled off somewhat. On the pedal, give it a touch of delay and reverb, and most importantly, as much compression as it'll give you ;-)

For distorted tones, the compression is still high, but I'd lay off the distortion/overdrive. He gets his earlier sustain in his distortion sound more from compression than from overdrive. MO uses some pretty ugly distortion tones on the Guitars album that I'd like to avoid anyhow (for that one, turn off the amp sim, crank the "dist" mode, and use a bit of wah). The tones I like best come with a bit of the OD distortion model, with, again, some subtle delay (but max time), and max out on the compression level. He also uses an autowah from time to time.

Keep playing, and have fun. But remember, MO didn't become famous by emulating other people's guitar sounds!

rgds,

--------------
Khoa Tran
www.suspendedseconds.ca
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Dec. 06 2005, 14:47

And here is that topic!

I normally find that the really important things in getting that sound are the context and the playing technique. I don't think the sound actually has to bear more than a passing resemblance if it's played in the right setting (i.e. all the accompanying instruments sounding roughly like something Mike would have done) and in the right way.

Aside from that though, the midrange is always an important area - Mike's distorted sound is quite different to the usual high gain lead sound with scooped mids. Most of his sounds have been quite heavily boosted in the mids, with varying amounts of treble alongside. I can only agree with ktran about the compression really - too much overdrive just makes the sound go fizzy (though you can experiment with rolling off the treble afterwards).
Profile PM 
3 replies since Oct. 13 2005, 10:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net