Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Pat Metheny Orchestrion< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 07 2010, 15:47

Sorry if it was mentioned earlier and I missed it, orchestra physically controlled by guitar, very cool, quite a contrast with Mike's lazy approach on Guitars
http://patmetheny.com/orchestrioninfo/

too bad he has no sense of melody
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 08 2010, 14:20

Yeah, I've been gearing up for this! I'll see Pat on the 14th here in Austin. Last saw him him in '89 with "the Group" including Pedro Aznar no less....fandamntastic. We had words before the show outside. Nice guy. This should be interesting. I do have one problem with the whole mechanical backing concept. So much can go wrong. Me, I'd do it all via MIDI and use the hammer playing stuff as props. But that's just me. I'd hate to be in the middle of this thing and have a mechanical monkey bite the dust! Perhaps it all is MIDI and the rest complete bullshit. (Yes, I am aware of shite). But I'm going, looking forward to it. I bought an Ibanez hollow body electric git because of this guy(and hated it/sold it). But I still love his music, mostly because of the PM "group". No Lyle Mays, I'm kinda worried. But I'm going. And this dude, to be honest, physically surpasses or at least equals Mike Oldfield on guitars.(not Emotionally tho). Have a nice day.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
a_r_schulz Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 09 2010, 04:57

I have seen him some weeks ago here in Bremen (Germany) at the 'Glocke' (which is the name of the famous local classical concert hall and, as an interesting coincidence, translates to English as 'The Bell'...)
He started off with a few nice solo guitar tracks, while most of the gear was still hidden behind a curtain, culminating in the piece for his 42-string 'monster'-guitar.
Then he finally revealed his 'Orchestrion' in all of its crazy beauty - the whole setup apparently optimized for stage and tour conditions, compared to the pictures from the studio in the promo video.
Following were the tracks from the new 'Orchestrion suite' album. As you would have expected, most of the backing tracks in this part appeared to be pre-programmed, filled with the guitar played live.
While he so far had let his music speak for itself, in the 3rd part of the gig, between playing a few older tracks, Pat started to give some explanations about the concept of the orchestrion and demonstrations of its capabilities.
He had, e.g. one (not very long, luckily ;) ) track with direct triggering of the percussion instruments by his guitar. Centerpiece of this section was an improvisation where he track-by-track built up live the backing tracks of the orchestrion instruments and guitar loops, stating that the backing tracks of the 'orchestrion suite' pieces, though pre-programmed, had been created in a similar way.
Except for a few parts where I, indeed, had wished that Pat had a bit more of Mike's sense of melody, it was, IMHO, in all an amazing gig with (mostly) wonderful music.
Technically, compared to the complexity of the whole rig there were only very few issues during the concert that required action by the stage hands - one drum stick kept hitting its microphone, and one of his robotic monochords seemd to have lost all of its smoke...
Profile PM WEB 
2 replies since April 07 2010, 15:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net