Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Part 2 and Pink Flpyd, similarity< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
larstangmark Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 08 2010, 07:52

"There was a a hell lot of layering that went on, where things had to be sort of set in stone".

Nick Mason about how the band's working practice changed when recording "A Saucerful of Secrets".

The Nick Mason quote is from Cliff Jones "Echoes - the stories behind every pink floyd song". Page 34.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2010, 10:21

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 08 2010, 07:52)
"There was a a hell lot of layering that went on, where things had to be sort of set in stone".

Aha - context is everything!

So I take that to be about overdubbing when using only 4 tracks or channels.  They had to bounce down to facilitate more overdubs, and therefore certain things became "set in stone", ie certain elements in the sound picture couldn't be altered or remixed once other elements had been superimposed.

It's all clear to me now.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2010, 10:38

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 08 2010, 10:21)
Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 08 2010, 07:52)

Aha - context is everything!

So I take that to be about overdubbing when using only 4 tracks or channels.  They had to bounce down to facilitate more overdubs, and therefore certain things became "set in stone", ie certain elements in the sound picture couldn't be altered or remixed once other elements had been superimposed.

It's all clear to me now.

Jules

Full qoute:

"There was a hell lot of layering that went on, where things had be sort of set in stone. It was better if it was simpler and correct than a bit fancy and wrong. I think that started us on something else."

I'm not too sure what it means really now that I read it again!  :/

Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2010, 18:24

I think that the "where" in that phrase works as an oppositive, i.e. (paraphrasing) there were quite a lot of overdubs going on in spite of the fact that things were supposed to be very clearly "fixed" (meant as not movable, not changeable... here I'm not using "fixed" as the opposite of "broken"). This way, the rest of the quote makes full sense... Nick Mason was not initially very found of doing massive overdubbing, but then he realized about the wider range of possibilities that multiple overdubs gave to the band. :)

@ Delfín (very belated reply): I think that the only element that Pink Floyd and "Ringscape" have in common is the sense of musical drama... of something dramatic going on. But I always heard "Ringscape" as something very airy, very open-spaced (maybe because of the original Music VR context that I first heard that tune in), while a lot of PF music is notable for its closed, stuffed-up, dark, moody, almost claustrophobic feel. "Closeness" and "darkness" are two elements that, IMHO, "Ringscape" manages to avoid quite brilliantly. :cool:

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2010, 05:04

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 08 2010, 10:38)
I'm not too sure what it means really now that I read it again!  :/

He's not the easiest man to understand is he?   :/

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2010, 10:00

I think 'guest' implies some degree of fame, and some degree of promotion of the singer...so I'd say the second was Stephen Hawking. A very distinctive singer! Although I suppose you could debate whether he was the "lead".
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2010, 10:06

It's painful for me to hear "Early Stages" because it just shows how good TBII could have been.
In my dreams he is still doing music that sounds like that.
Lars T

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2010, 10:59

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 15 2010, 10:06)
It's painful for me to hear "Early Stages" because it just shows how good TBII could have been.

Wrong thread, surely?

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 15 2010, 11:16

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 07 2010, 05:47)
Quote (milamber @ Sep. 07 2010, 09:26)
@ Ugo they were referring to Lead Vocals Only.
Any Idea?

"The Show Must Go On" and "The Happiest Days...". In those, Johnston can be classified as a co-lead vocalist as he sings for the whole piece.

I'm bugged about that. The Wall has additional credits only for backing vocals. I think Milamber was on the right track back then: Have a Cigar and The Great Gig in the Sky both have guest LEAD vocals -- both Roy Harper and Claire Tory were the lead and SOLE vocalists in those songs. I think that is the expected answer.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 15 2010, 14:02

Quote (familyjules @ Sep. 15 2010, 10:59)
Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 15 2010, 10:06)

Wrong thread, surely?

Jules

WTF? I have no idea how that happened.  :/

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2011, 18:46

I once heard that Mike and David Gilmour had a guitar jam in some pub somewhere in the countryside, this rumour has never been cleared up as to if this took place or not, any ideas?
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2011, 21:19

It wouldn't surprise me. I've said on the forum before that Ommadawn has a Floydian sound.
Profile PM 
31 replies since Sep. 05 2010, 09:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net