Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Part 2 and Pink Flpyd, similarity< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 09:13

I thought I'd listen to ommadawnagain and see if my impressions had changed since I last listened to it (many years ago). They haven't, but I'm struck by the similarity of the first half of part 2 to the style of Pink Floyd. There are the same slow descending phrases, the same air of vague melancholy (but without the trnscendebt spark of the post-exegesis music). It's like Wish You Were Here on folk instruments.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 09:41

In fact, I was taking careful note, and most of the melodies have a descending form: they finish on a lower note than the one on which they started. Contrat this with the main motif of TB2, which is rising and joyous.
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 14:16

Maybe that's why I dig Ommadawn so much, as I'm also a big Floyd fan.

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
CJJC Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 15:03

Atom Heart Mother is particularly Oldfieldian, in his 70s instrumental epics style. Which is pretty odd considering it's from  1970.

--------------
IMHO
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 15:51

Quote (CJJC @ Sep. 05 2010, 15:03)
Atom Heart Mother is particularly Oldfieldian, in his 70s instrumental epics style. Which is pretty odd considering it's from  1970.

Actually I think Atom Heart Mother and Hergest Ridge have similiarities.
Part II of Ommadawn does have some floyd-likeness techincally but I have never thought of it before. But it's not only the melodies/composition, it's also a very floydian way to record - overdubs ad infinitum. Nick Mason says somewhere in an interview that this was a way of working they developed in the late 60s when Syd left - that everything had to be "set in stone" in terms of recording.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 20:31

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 05 2010, 21:51)
[quote=CJJC,Sep. 05 2010, 15:03]Nick Mason says somewhere in an interview that this was a way of working they developed in the late 60s when Syd left - that everything had to be "set in stone" in terms of recording.

What did he really mean with that, "set in stone"?

A song I personally find being tightly linked with the Floydian sound and mood is 'Ringscape' from L + S. Slow and hypnotic rythm, cloudy atmospheres, reverbered organ sounds, strong distorted guitars... and an overall sense of dramatic bitterness.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 21:27

Just off topic for a min.
Driving to work early Sunday on the radio there was a quiz.
Name the two other PF songs that had a guest lead singer .
The first was Have a cigar.
What are the other two?
I'm guessing one could be The Great Gig but..........

Haha my wife just looked over my shoulder and said
"Whats Night Paw written now".
Sorry just found that funny and needed a good laugh. :laugh:
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 05 2010, 22:27

Don't forget the canine vocals on "Seamus"  :D

Getting back to Ommadawn, I noticed little melodic moments where I sensed the future Mike would have taken the melody in a very different direction. It's a pity he never did O2 - I don't consider Amarok to be a sequel.
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 02:07

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 05 2010, 20:31)

He meant that they thought a melody or rhythm sounded better if it was overdubbed several times.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 04:50

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 06 2010, 02:07)

He meant that they thought a melody or rhythm sounded better if it was overdubbed several times.

I don't think that's what he meant at all.

If he was talking about Atom Heart Mother in particular then he may have been referring to the fact that Mason and Waters had to lay down their entire rhythm track in one pass and have regretted doing it that way ever since - the rhythm track was therefore 'set in stone' once the overdubbing had begun.

If, howevere, he is talking generally, then I'm guessing he means that all the arrangements had to be worked out before recording as they could only improvise if they were recording live as a group.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 06 2010, 18:17

Multiple reply...

@ nightspore: I don't think that Seamus the dog counts, but I found something. See below...

@ milamber: I'm not sure whether the original question referred to songs where a single person (who is not a member of PF) sings lead, or whether it referred to PF songs where non-PF members sing (in general). If the case is the latter, then there are quite a few. Bruce Johnston of the Beach Boys sings backing vocals in "The Show Must Go On" and he's got at least one of the "let me go, let me go..." falsetto lines on his own; he and Roger Waters sing almost all of "The Happiest Days of Our Lives"; some of the "wai-ting" choir vocals in "Waiting for the Worms" are him and Toni Tennille (from Captain & Tennille); there is a choir on AHM; and of course there are the children from Islington Green School singing the entire second verse of "Another Brick..." part II. Do any of these count? :)  

@ Jules: IMHO, Mason meant that, once Syd was out, the extended, sprawling jams that PF used to do during shows was left out of the recording studio, though some of them (albeit in a more concise fashion) persisted in some early Seventies shows. But they died out as well by the time of  Dark Side,which has no improvisation at all on it.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 02:42

I'll track down the exact quote because as far as I remember he was very specific about what he meant. I'll be back...

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 03:26

@ Ugo they were referring to Lead Vocals Only.
Any Idea?
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 05:47

Quote (milamber @ Sep. 07 2010, 09:26)
@ Ugo they were referring to Lead Vocals Only.
Any Idea?

"The Show Must Go On" and "The Happiest Days...". In those, Johnston can be classified as a co-lead vocalist as he sings for the whole piece.

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 06:51

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 06 2010, 18:17)
@ Jules: IMHO, Mason meant that, once Syd was out, the extended, sprawling jams that PF used to do during shows was left out of the recording studio, though some of them (albeit in a more concise fashion) persisted in some early Seventies shows. But they died out as well by the time of  Dark Side,which has no improvisation at all on it.

Yeah, but before Dark Side, their albums were full of improv and meandering make-it-up-as-you-go-along tracks.  Plenty of examples in the 1968-71 perdiod.  Nick sure must have telescoped the years there!

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 06:53

I had no idea Bruce Johnston sang on some Floyd tracks!

Wasn't there a Wall-era track sung by a choir with no Floyd vocals?

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 08:14

@ Jules: sure he did, apparently Waters wanted the whole of the Beach Boys to do backing vocals on The Wall but he could't get them all. And the first section of "The Happiest Days of Our Lives", before Waters comes in, is sung by four male vocalists, including Bruce Johnston.

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 14:07

Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 06 2010, 08:07)

Right, thanks.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Sep. 07 2010, 21:05

Just imagine if there'd been a hidden clause requiring PF to play on a Captain and Tenille album! Can anyone imagine Roger Waters singing "Shop Around"? Or David Gilmour playing on "Muskrat Loce"?   :D
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Sep. 08 2010, 05:25

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 07 2010, 14:07)
Quote (larstangmark @ Sep. 06 2010, 08:07)

Right, thanks.

Delfin, check other replies as I'm not sure this is accurate.

Jules

--------------
Profile PM 
31 replies since Sep. 05 2010, 09:13 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net