Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Paddy's Tune -- original or traditional?, Ommadawn pt.2 bagpipe part< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Balbulus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 09 2009, 07:29

Hi, I'm a newbie here, so be gentle with me...

Does anyone know if the Paddy Maloney bagpipe part on Ommadawn pt.2 (I refer to it as "Paddy's Tune") was composed by MO, or if it is a traditional piece of music?

When I was on holiday in Ireland some years back, I would listen to the local radio to take in some of the tradational music, and I was taken by surprise one day to hear that tune played by another piper; slightly different phrasing and ornamentation, but definitely the same tune. The announcer did mention the title, but I can't remember it now. I have a vague idea it may have featured the word "autumn" -- but don't take that for certain.

So -- is it a traditional piece adapted by Mike or Paddy, or was it composed by Mike or Paddy and covered by the other piper?

Or was it all just my imagination?

For the record, Ommadawn has been my alltime favourite album for many years, so I'm reasonably convinced I wasn't mistaken!

Anyone else heard it elsewhere?
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2009, 09:16

Sounded to me like the dude improvised the tune around the tracks MO had laid down, but I'm no expert on European folk music. Logic would dictate that MO(or his hired record company buddies) would have put a credit on the album cover if it was some kind of John Barleycorn type thing. That was one of my fav. parts too. I love bagpipes. Natural distortion. Like an accordian being played thru a RAT distortion box.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 09 2009, 18:07

Mike wrote that - in 1969. It's one of his so-called improvisations, included on the Sallyangie bonus disc, where it's called "A Sad Song for Rosie". I guess it became known as "Paddy's Tune" because Paddy played it so well (IMHO). But it's Mike's. Of course there may be some similarities with some traditional or folk pieces... Mike has always loves traditional music, he still does: "Closer", which he claims to have written, is really a traditional 1856 tune called "Bethany", by Lowell Mason, which became famous when it was associated with the Christian hymn "Nearer, my God, to Thee"; indeed, the hymn-like version which was released as a bonus some time after L+S is called "Prés de Toi" - "Near to You" in French. "Paddy's Tune" on Ommadawn is probably a very old tune that went through the same kind of process. :)

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Sep. 10 2009, 02:55

Damn Jim.You just made me regret getting rid of my RAT!!!!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2009, 07:11

Quote (Ugo @ Sep. 10 2009, 00:07)
"Mike wrote that - in 1969. It's one of his so-called improvisations, included on the Sallyangie bonus disc, where it's called "A Sad Song for Rosie". I guess it became known as "Paddy's Tune" because Paddy played it so well (IMHO). But it's Mike's. Of course there may be some similarities with some traditional or folk pieces... Mike has always loves traditional music, he still does: "Closer", which he claims to have written, is really a traditional 1856 tune called "Bethany", by Lowell Mason, which became famous when it was associated with the Christian hymn "Nearer, my God, to Thee"; indeed, the hymn-like version which was released as a bonus some time after L+S is called "Prés de Toi" - "Near to You" in French. "Paddy's Tune" on Ommadawn is probably a very old tune that went through the same kind of process."

Wow, I didn't know that, Ugo. You really learn a lot around here. Thaks so much for that.

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2009, 07:25

You're welcome, Delfín. BTW, welcome back to the board. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2009, 07:28

Hehe, I see you're online. This is a proper chat hehe. Cheers!!

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2009, 07:49

Quote (Delfín @ Sep. 11 2009, 13:28)
Hehe, I see you're online. This is a proper chat hehe. Cheers!!

Shame that the IRC channel is dead... :/

--------------
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Sep. 11 2009, 08:57

I get confused with Celtic stuff to.. Always thinking something that I just Heard is like so & so then finding it wasnt...    ;)

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
8 replies since Sep. 09 2009, 07:29 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net