Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Pacha Mama< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: Feb. 24 2000, 22:47

I've always been fascinated by Mike's excursions into various cultures through the mechanism of language and music. I have a degree in anthropology with a focus on American Indian Studies, but read too much Vine Deloria at an impressionable age and ended up switching to library and information science in graduate school, hahaha! I was blown away by Pacha Mama, as I have always had a special interest in Inka culture, and their astronomy in particular! Someday hope to return to school to focus on it.

Some have looked at the translation of the lyrics from Quechua (the language of the Inkas, spoken by millions of persons in the Andes today) on this site, and those provided by Mike and Dark Star, and wonder, huh???? How can the translations be so different?  Which is right?????

Back in December when I first heard Pacha Mama, I immediately understood some of the words from knowing a little bit of Quechua (very little, I might add!;).  One of the Handel singers, Roy Rashbrook was kind enough to provide the actual Quechua lyrics, and armed with them, I sought someone with expertise to translate. Charles Wolff stepped forward. He had majored in linguistics and attended Cornell University specifically to study Quechua. He has also taught within the Quechua program. It was wonderful of him to provide a scholarly translation! A few weeks later, a different interpretation of the Quechua lyrics appeared on the Dark Star site.

To review:

Huaca Pacha Mama
Huaca Saqsaywaman
Huaca Yachaq Runa
Huaca Munaq Runa

From Charles:

Temple of the Earth Mother
Temple of the Speckled Hawk
Temple of the Wise One
Temple of the Loving One

From Dark Star/Mike:

The Sacred Site of Mother Earth
The Sacred Stone Citadel
The Sacred Wise Ones
The Sacred Loving People

There are many reasons that translations can vary, as many of you who work in at least two languages know (!;), including 1) the translator's skill; and 2) the native speaker's knowledge of English and its idiosyncracies.  I do not know about Mike's source. (Mike? Caroline? Dark Star?) Was the guide a native Quechua speaker? A Spanish speaker translating Quechua to English? What was the guide's source of the lyrics and translation?  It is very challenging to translate poetry and lyrics into another language because it is not isomorphic for many words, i.e., there is not a one-to-one correspondence for the meanings of some words across languages; therefore, they are subject to interpretation, which is highly dependent upon the context.  

Although I have not formally studied Quechua, I learned about wakas (i.e. huacas) in connection with Inkaic astronomy and calendrics. Wakas are sacred objects or temples. A deity can reside in the waka - the waka might be the deity, e.g. particular rocks, mountains, rivers, and lakes. Wakas, in addition to being naturally occurring, could be human-engineered, constructed with a particular deity in mind. Some might be pillars/markers erected along the horizon to track the movement of the sun, as was the case with some of the wakas surrounding Cusco. Lineage wakas were also
very important.

Regarding, Saqsaywaman, it is the temple-fortress overlooking Cusco, Peru. I didn't see how Saqsaywaman could be translated as a stone citadel (and not to "tell stories out of school," but Charles questioned this, too!;). Sure it WAS made stone, and has been called a temple for the warriors (as per Garcilaso de la Vega's Royal Commentaries...), just as the Koriqancha in central Cusco was the spectacular religious center of the empire containing temples for the sun, moon, pleiades, and others. "Waman" in any orthography means hawk (huaman, guaman). I hope Charles will add to this!

As stated, it is very challenging to translate poetry and lyrics into another language. I don't think in terms of which translation is right, and which is wrong, but I think the first one by our scholar is more accurate, and it certainly flows nicely and has rythym! Of course,the second one is what made Mike's heart soar (like a hawk!;) and is what he had in mind as he composed Pacha Mama.  Wonder if the music would have varied if Mike had had both translations in hand?

I hope you all will add to this discussion!

Cheers!

Mary-Carol

[This message has been edited by Mary-Carol Lindbloom (edited 02-24-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Mary-Carol Lindbloom (edited 02-24-2000).]

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: Mar. 10 2000, 22:37

I had initially posted some of the following over on the amarok mailing list awhile back. It may be of interest to this forum, too! (-;

<snip>

I provided him [i.e., Charles] with the alternate translation on the Dark Star site,and of course, my usual ramblings...... (-;

>Ah ha! Speaking of this......very recently, Mike published the lyrics to >Pacha Mama and a translation different from yours on his Dark Star site.
>Now, the booklet says: "....is centered around lyrics a guide gave him
>which are in an ancient Inca language that some locals still converse in."

<snip>

From Charles:

Sounds like general tourist claptrap to me. Guides will say anything to hold your interest. The only thing closest to any "ancient Inka language" (which is an oxymoron, being that the Inka can hardly be considered "ancient") is Cusco Quechua, badly tainted by Spanish. I'll look into his
translation...sounds interesting, and let you know what I think...I was always struck by "translations" and other explanations offered by tour guides...

From me, real-time (well, re-run, at the moment!):
[My comment as I read this again: This was certainly my experience with guides in the Cusco-Machu Picchu area! One of ours at SSW was interpreting between a Quecha merchant and me. The merchant was attempting to sell me a rug containing the Inka calendar. I'm not sure who was getting which lost in translation, but to have sold me the Inka calendar, the merchant would have had to sell me all of Cusco and surrounding environs! It became even stranger at Machu Picchu with regard to the Intiwatana!]

Next from Charles, his subject line: My two cents!!

<snip - DS translation>

Well..one might argue it *could* be translated this way, but in general usage terms, "waka" is a noun, not really an adjective, and I've never read an archaic text that uses it that way, but you certainly can. Poetic license...after all...the best way to settle the argument would be to
locate the original text in the archives. Good luck on that!

Particularly disturbing is "Waka Saksaywaman". There is nothing at all in
any of that referring to a "stone citadel" (saqsaywaman wasn't a 'citadel' at all, in fact). Saksaywaman is, literally translated, a mottled or speckled hawk. There are arguments suggesting that it is indeed planned out into the figure of some kind of a bird, but truthfully, I always had trouble seeing that. There is an awful lot of "new age" speculation in this stuff! Personally, I tend to believe that since it's on a cliff overlooking the city, it was probably historically a breeding ground for scavengers
that kept the streets clean, hence the name...
Charles

And also from Charles:

Actually, my major was always anthropology, although linguistics was a very strong minor all the way through. Almost switched half way, but didn't. A very strong background in Quechua linguistics was essential for my work.[in response to my goofing up Charles' background! Sorry about that!]

Good story about South Africa, by the way!
[M-C's note: I had mentioned to him the Amber Light lyrics and how Ron had
run into a similar situation with regard to not finding "bright" in the
translation, as C. had not found "stone citadel." Which led to a very nice
insight by Charles: ]

It seems the less "mutually translatable" languages are the more gets read into them. Mix in a dollop of the arts and, of course, the rules are suspended! There's not much to quarrel about though, the PM lyrics keep
their artistic sense, beauty and aesthetic character no matter which translation one chooses.

<snip>

TTFN!

Mary-Carol

--------------
Profile PM 
FMO Offline

Group: Members
Posted: April 18 2001, 10:52

It always troubles me when i listen to pacha mama - it sound like
Huaca Pacha Mama,
Huaca Sexy Woman.

Anyway, that troubles me smile
Does anyone else have the same "problem" ?

FMO

By the way. Don't get me wrong, i have nothing against sexy women. It just...troubles me. smile
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 18 2001, 23:42

Yes, I hear it like that as well (if I want to at least wink )...I think even Mike knows of its similarity to 'sexy woman' which may be why he liked that word wink
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: April 19 2001, 14:09

No, I hear:

Huaca Pacha Mama
Huaca Sex in One Man

and sometimes

Huaca Pacha Mama
Huaca's Sex in Warm Night

But I´m not Troubled... I know it´s blame on my walkman...

...or maybe in my Warm Mind biggrin

Delfín

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Pikalcazar Offline

Posted: April 21 2001, 12:14

Delfín always with his fine humour xDDD

Saqsaywaman is a Maya temple (or Aztec?...) in Central America. Would be...?
Profile PM 
FMO Offline

Posted: April 23 2001, 06:03

Wow! I thought that i was the only one to hear these funny pacha mama lyrics!
And big thanks to delfin. Because of you, i don't get bothered by pacha mama anymore. I mean, my "Sexy woman" is nothing compared to your "Huaca's Sex in Warm Night" biggrin

But guys... Can you hear these weird "noises" in the middle of Tubular Bells part 2. It's like this raging caveman. Whoeee, mama! That's what REALLY bothers me! (And scares) wink
*laughing* Yeah, a joke. wink

FMO *goes to listen pacha mama*
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: April 23 2001, 22:43

Sacsaywaman is the temple-fortress that overlooks Oosqo (Cuzco), Peru. Today, I had to give a talk about Inkaic Peru to a group of 13-14 year-olds. I wanted to play Pachamama for them, but I don't think we'd have made it past "What a sexy woman," er, I mean, "waka Sacsaywaman," hehe. It was bad enough telling then that the Quechuas (Inkas) came to this world through three caves at Lake Titicaca.

TTFN,

M-C

--------------
Profile PM 
s p a c e B e l l s Offline

Posted: May 21 2001, 00:57

OK GUYS!!!!
SAVED BY THE B E L L !!

I was going to send off a long disjointed message to this forum, when i discovered at that you had to register to get email notification....
and lucky THAT was, cos when i came back i looked more thouroughly and noticed that someone had already posted a very thorogh post on Sexy Woman......erm.... yes you know what i mean.

the following was what i was going to post:
Ook finally found a cool place to ask a couple of questions that have probably been asked and ansered many a time before.

1) OMMADAWN - i understand this is a nonsenseword, that sounds like the Gaelic for IDIOT... what is that word in Gaelic?

2) THE MILLENNIUM BELL / Pacha Mama.... they sing something like saqsuawaman after singing pacha mama.... this word sounds like Sexy Woman (which is funny, cos it's Earth Mother... smile
and.... well, Im wondering what the entire lyrics mean in that song (apart from Pacha Mama which i know the maning of)

The Ommadawn question still applies....
though i think i'll ask that in another category/ forum as well...

cheers dudes
Wishing You Plenty of SeqsayWaman.
+ a white christmas
Profile PM WEB 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: May 21 2001, 22:45

Greetings,

You had asked:

2) THE MILLENNIUM BELL / Pacha Mama.... they sing something like saqsuawaman after singing pacha mama.... this word sounds like Sexy Woman (which is funny, cos it's Earth Mother...
and.... well, Im wondering what the entire lyrics mean in that song (apart from Pacha Mama which i know the maning of)

I think that you found your answer in the first and second posts in this section. There are two translations provided, one from a scholar of the Quechua language and one from a translator of unknown ability or native language. As I mentioned last year, I think that Charles' translation holds up. I suspect Mike's translator was not a native Quechua speaker, or else didn't know English well-enough to know how to compensate for the nuances between the two languages. We still don't have an answer to this. BTW, there is a bit more information about SSW, the Temple of the Warriors, on my website:

http://homepages.dstream.net/pleiades/saq.htm

BBTW, William Sullivan, who authored Secret of the Incas, a book that I highly recommend, indicates that the translation of pachamama is "our mother in space-time." He devotes a couple of pages to helping us non-native Andean people comprehend the importance of the word "pacha" to Andean thought.

Kind regards,

Mary-Carol

--------------
Profile PM 
9 replies since Feb. 24 2000, 22:47 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net