Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Outcast...on piano?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
tubularbills Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 13 2000, 19:56

Ok, I finally got the songbook of TB3 on the piano, and i've been playing it as much as i can. It's pretty cool how it really follows the CD note by note, whereas the book i have of the original TB was altered quite a bit.

Anyway, i started playing "Outcast", and i gotta say, it really sounds cool on the piano!!! Obviously not as awesome as on guitar, but still pretty awesome.

Anyone else ever tried playing any of MO's music on the piano?

--------------
Terrible, Wonderful, Crazy, Perfect.
Profile PM 
Olivier Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: Nov. 13 2000, 20:04

How did you get the songbook? I still don't have it. (But I didn't search very hard.)
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2000, 18:48

I've actually seen the songbook in a few music shops...I don't know where you'd get it unless you happen to be able to visit one of them...

I like trying tunes on different instruments (like the way I did a guns n roses song with mandolin once...)..great fun and can get some interesting results...
Profile PM 
Man_in_the_Rain Offline

Posted: Nov. 14 2000, 22:48

If you life in Canada or the US, I've found anything regarding Mike Oldfield is rare (especially songbooks, videos, and DVDs). The easiest way to get a songbook would probably be ordering it through Dark Star www.mikeoldfield.org.
***It's very pricey with the canadian dollar so low, though.***
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Dec. 31 2000, 12:23

Yeah, i did get the songbook from www.mikeoldfield.org. It was a bit pricey (only because you had to convert from USDollars to UK Pounds (UGH!), plus shipping overseas added some too.

But it's worth it. i can play this CD and i love it! I'm thinking about playing "Top of the Morning" for my school's talent show this january.

--------------
Profile PM 
martinec Offline

Posted: Jan. 01 2001, 06:29

Hi tubularbills
Is the songbook only for piano?
Is there a guitar too?
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 12 2001, 23:26

The songbook is primarily piano, but above the piano scales it does give the Guitar chords. It also has vocals in it too, but a lot of the songs that have some lines in them it just says, "female vocal" or "vocal adlib". It also notes key points where other instruments come in. But yeah its strictly piano and guitar, so technically you could learn to play "Top of the Morning" on guitar. wouldn't that sound odd!? smile smile

--------------
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2001, 01:07

Well you (tubularbills) did play Outcast, a guitar track, on piano, so what's wrong with playing a piano track on guitar? And by the way, why stop at Top of the Morning at your school's talent show, why not create a Tubular Bells III/Mike Oldfield medley?

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2001, 14:39

I WISH I COULD SO BAD!!!!!!!! smile smile smile

stupid school is limiting me to 5 minutes, UGH!!!!! :MAD:

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Jan. 13 2001, 22:01

You can fit a lot of things into 5 minutes if you know how...Play around and see what themes you can fit over the chords to others - you might be suprised at what works...

While we're talking about top of the morning on guitar, I think Mike actually wrote it for the guitar originally (useless piece of trivia #256 in an infinite series).

Oh, and that theme from Amarok that the choir sings at the end (I'm sure it has a silly name of its own but have no idea what) works nicely on piano if you do the right things with it (typically vague of me)...quite fun on the guitar as well.
Profile PM 
sunjammer Offline

Posted: Jan. 14 2001, 14:16

Five minutes is PLENTY of time for many MO themes. After all...look at what MO was able to do with five minutes anywhere on "Amarok"!!!!!
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 15 2001, 21:53

Believe me, if i could play as good as him or think of something as awesome as Amarok, i'd blow my school away with the best 5 mins of piano ever!! biggrin biggrin Playing 11 years of piano can only get you so far! d'oh!

--------------
Profile PM 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2001, 12:51

Well, I played, "Top of the Morning" on Friday, January 26th at my school's talent show. I played it as perfect as i good, and i didn't make any mistakes. I was even all dressed up in a full tuxedo with tails, top hat, and bow tie.

Although the crowd roared and thought it was excellent, apparently the judges aren't MO fans, so I didn't win. Some girl who wrote her own song (and played it really really good) won, instead.

I'm starting to learn TB2.

--------------
Profile PM 
CarstenKuss Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 28 2001, 15:37

Congratulations: YOU DID IT!!!! That's all that counts. cool Keep it up!!!

--------------
-Carsten-
Profile PM WEB 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: Jan. 28 2001, 18:35

Yes, well done anyway, tubularbills. YOu put in the effort to learn the piece, and had the guts to perform it in front of an audience, and, as the famous phrase goes, "it's not the winning that counts, it's the taking part". If I was faced with the prospect of performing in front of an audience I'd probably back out (I almost stuffed up MCing my Year Group's prizegiving last month). So it doesn't matter that you didn't win, you played to the best of your ability, the crowd liked it, and nothing else matters.

-Tim-
Profile PM WEB 
Cipher Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2001, 07:56

Congratulations, TBills!
But... Tuxedo and top hat and the other things... What kind of show was it? When you say "school", what kind of school do you mean, which age have you? Er, may be you weren't dressed to kill...
Profile PM WEB 
tubularbills Offline

Posted: Jan. 30 2001, 14:52

It was just a normal talent show at my public high school. I'm a senior (4th & final year) there, and it was my last year doing a show, so i figured i would go out with some class. I really looked like a professional, not just a high school student. hehe smileI was the best dressed in the whole show too! smile (the girl who won was dressed in what looked like pajamas....don't ask).

--------------
Profile PM 
Pacha Daddy Offline

Posted: Feb. 01 2001, 08:40

Clearly showing that high school students who are into MO are several levels better than your average high school student! (Yeah, but I knew that back in high school...!)
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: Mar. 09 2001, 18:08

And of course, if what you wear makes you stand out, people may remember you more...make the music good and they may not forget you (well, for a few days anyway...).

I've played at some things where everyone wears their black suits and tuxedos and the like...So I, of course make a point of wearing white (ok, so the suit's 'cream' really...but that's unnecessary detail)...
And sometimes I even manage some half decent music...
Profile PM 
ChiRho Offline

Posted: May 01 2001, 06:23

I'm what they call a 'casual pianist' - I have a keyboard and start messing about when I can be bothered.

One day, I got a bit bored, so I decided that I would put even more practice into my well-practiced performance pieces for my exam. Before I do this, I always like to warm up with something that I know that is not difficult, but of standard to be a little warm-up, so I started playing the finale from TBpt1. Then it hit me - why not do the rest?

So I set about having a go, running through it in a touch over 20 minutes from what I knew it to be in my head. I can't remember the entire thing note by note, but when I'm playing a section, I can usually remember what it leads into and how the lead-in goes. What resulted was essentially a waste of time, since I didn't get any practice on my set pieces and if I did it again it would be different unless I took arranging it for piano a bit too seriously (Dave Gorman, anyone?*).

I also have done the first 4min or so of HRpt1 as well as the beginning and end of Opt1 (I don't have the album and MIDI doesn't really provide an accurate enough sound to work from - I DON'T plug my keyboard into a PC). I find that TTOTM(TB3) was a good warm-up exercise, esp. leading into MW.

Also in my warm-up "repertoire" are such things as SD and MITR from TB3, as well as some of Vangelis' stuff (namely L'Enfant, Italian Song, I Hear You Now and Bladerunner End Titles - that last one's quite fun to do actually)

Given the current exchange rate, that's my 1.4p worth for today. If only petrol were this cheap (it's 19p/l pre-tax - Eu0,31 or 27c US)

--------------
<P>Mr. ChiRho
Email to chirho@mine.nu.almost (guess what drops)
Visit ChiRho Network Central [URL=http://www.chirho.i12.com/]http://www.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Check the forums (topic suggestions still welcome[URL=http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/]http://forum.chirho.mine.nu/[/URL]
Profile PM WEB 
22 replies since Nov. 13 2000, 19:56 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net