Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Other music similar to parts of Five Miles Out?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Balbulus Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Sep. 15 2009, 17:21

"The Deep Deep Sound" section of Taurus II remains one of my favourite Oldfield moments to this day; the haunting ambient use of guitar feedback and subtle percussion along with the evocative vocals make it an atmosperic masterpiece.

During the mid 90s, I discovered a Norwegian band called The 3rd And The Mortal, whose 1994 debut album "Tears Laid In Earth" really reminded me of "The Deep Deep Sound" in places. It's a drifting slab of progressive and melancholic Doom Metal with folky female vocals, and subtle melodic guitar interplay.

Here's a couple of tracks to sample:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tuwooooMV4U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FKKcPqE20bs

Has anyone else discovered any music similar to this, or other parts of Five Miles Out?
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2009, 11:15

Interesting. I have that album (Tears Laid In Earth), but haven't listened to it a lot... certainly never made me think of MO though when I did. I might have to check it out again. I've listened far more to the follow-up, Painting On Glass (which is a great album!).
Profile PM 
Balbulus Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2009, 13:05

It only really reminds me of that particular section, nothing else of MO's. It's the vocal style along with the ambient guitar work that does it I think.

I've got Painting On Glass too, and their other stuff, but I much prefer that 1st album (and the 1st EP "Sorrow"). After those they started going a bit too arty in my opinion.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Sep. 16 2009, 14:13

Quote (Balbulus @ Sep. 16 2009, 19:05)
It only really reminds me of that particular section, nothing else of MO's. It's the vocal style along with the ambient guitar work that does it I think.

Mmhh... but then, I tend to notice any kind of similarity to anything by Mike in any other music :D

I've got Painting On Glass too, and their other stuff, but I much prefer that 1st album (and the 1st EP "Sorrow"). After those they started going a bit too arty in my opinion.

Come to think of it, I've got everything of theirs except the latest reunion album. Painting On Glass has always been my favourite; In This Room (I think that's what it's called) I could never get into, everything else is good as far as I remember. I really should listen to them once again, only I don't think I'm particularly in the mood for them at the moment...

But, to get back on topic, I remember someone once mentioned Stereolab on this forum as making music similar to Five Miles Out. Personally, right now, I can't think of anything at all that's very similar. But I'll give it some thought.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Sep. 18 2009, 09:22

I have "Tears Laid In Earth". It's not bad at all

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: Sep. 22 2009, 21:42

Try this everybody: the unique and never repeated collaboration between two musicians, Giles Reaves & Jon Goin. It is called 'Letting Go'. Directly influenced by the instrumental parts of 'Five Miles Out'.

Check it out at Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Letting....&sr=1-1

The review "Amazing album with an Oldfieldish style" is mine.

It is only credited by Giles Reaves in Amazon, but if you check out the cover, it's signed by both. Reaves plays drums and keyboards, and Goin plays the amazingly good electric guitars. Not to lose the only theme from Jon Goin alone, called 'Journey to the Highlands'!!!!! Pure best Oldfield style!!!!!

The whole album is amazing, specially tracks 1, 2, 5, 8.

Just wait for your replays :zzz: .

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
Delfín Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 20:30

Still waiting.  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

--------------
The most precious thing I possess, is knowing the answer's yes
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 20 2011, 21:00

Quote (Delfín @ July 20 2011, 20:30)
Still waiting.  :zzz:  :zzz:  :zzz:

It doesn't seem possible to play this on Amazon...
Profile PM 
AUTOMATIC 18 Offline

Posted: Aug. 14 2012, 20:21

What about the Boney M bit at 16:47 that goes like "Sanna Rosanna, laruggi ramanna"!!!
Profile PM WEB 
8 replies since Sep. 15 2009, 17:21 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net