Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: OT: Trance.nu< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
mirwais57 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 04 2002, 06:05

If you haven't heard me talking about it already, trance.nu is the other forum I am signed in to. I mention this today because a few days ago I was on the chat that they have there, and I met someone called Luan. Here is what was basically said in the conversation.
M57-Mirwais57 L-Luan

M57: Hello Luan
L: Hello, what you doing?
M57: Listening to music
L: What kind of music
M57: My other musicaly interest apart from trance, Mike Oldfield
L: Cool, I know him. The Killing Fields Soundtrack by any chance?

Thats all that is important.

Is there a Luan logged on here? He's obviously a MO fan, or he just really likes the Killing Fields album. Also, is anyone apart from me logged on to trance.nu ? I go to trance.nu even more than I do here. (I have almost 300 posts there, but the person with the most posts has about 5000! That'll beat Korgscrew any day.)

N.B. OT means Off topic, as this post isn't really about Mike Oldfield.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 04 2002, 16:18

Quality not quantity, my friend...it's not a competition wink
Profile PM 
TimHighfield Offline

Posted: June 04 2002, 22:09

And besides, it'd be just wrong if anyone (except maybe Olivier) overtook Korgscrew (your #1 source for MO info in the fora).

Especially anyone whose posts are normally one-liners about nothing at all. wink
Profile PM WEB 
mirwais57 Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 04:48

i'll check the list of signed in people to see if there is anyone called Luan here. I can't beleive i didn't think of that earlyier
<><><><Later><><><>
Nope. he might not know of this forum.

--------------
http://www.mp3.com/57_13/
http://www.angelfire.com/electronic2/57_ttpo_13/

NB: Avatar = Mirwais himself.
Profile PM WEB 
Man In The Rain Offline

Posted: June 05 2002, 15:52

I think this raises an interesting point though - do Oldfield fans tend to be fans also of dance/electronica music, and vice versa? Tubular Bells III is now seen as Mike's late-90s masterpiece, so the dance rhythms obviously didn't put many off. What Mike seems to share with these styles of dance music is a sense of euphoria (like Chemical Brothers' Surrender album - particularlly Asleep From Day and The Sunshine Underground) - hmm, maybe I should think about this more and start a new topic for it...

Oliver

--------------
Hergest Ridge 165 - Ommadawn 038 - Incantations 243
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: June 05 2002, 19:46

Some of the people making dance music nowadays list Mike amongst their influences. I think his long instrumentals have probably been influential to those creating more ambient kinds of music.

Other artists like Jean Michel Jarre were obviously influential as well, as were the likes of Kraftwerk and Tangerine Dream. Then there's Steve Hillage (and partner Miquette Giraudy), who went from producing whacked-out prog rock in the 70s to ambient techno in the 90s (and beyond).
Profile PM 
raven4x4x Offline

Posted: July 29 2002, 05:35

I'm a fan of techno, as in I don't hate it as much as some others do. It was my main music choice untill I discovered MO and Yes etc. It's best when combined with other, more natural sounding stuff like guitars. Sort of the stuff Mike is doing now, which is why I like TBIII so much.

--------------
Thank-you for helping us help you help us all.
Profile PM 
6 replies since June 04 2002, 06:05 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net