Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Original Hergest Ridge on all LP?, How can I be sure ?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
yanouch65 Offline

Group: Members
Posted: May 06 2006, 04:14

Hi

I read the forum about Hergest Ridge but I am not sure to understand.

My question is: do all vinyls contain the original mix or some contain the remix. If so, how to know if it is the first pressing with original mix or second pressing with the remix.

I hope that you understand my question. Sorry for the mistakes, I speak French :/

Thank you

--------------
Ray said : "it is a shame you don't play"

manintherain said: "You´d better ask Mr. Y who was first"

yanouch65 says: "I am in love with Scotland"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 06 2006, 09:19

When the first bassguitar notes come in, are they loud and distinct or are they barely audible? The remix has the bass mixed down to a minmum.

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: May 11 2006, 02:10

All "Hergest Ridge" LPs I have ever come across are the original version (except, of course, the one that is in the "Boxed" set) but it has been said somewhere else that the last pressings contain the remix.
The easiest way to check which version you have is to listen to the tune after the first "climax", about 4 minutes into Part One. If you hear a trumpet (playing a melody similar to the mandolin in the tune before the climax) and a snare drum, you've got the original mix. In the remix, there's no trumpet - it only comes in at the very end of the tune.
Another way is to check the matrix numbers on the record itself. If it reads "S 88134 A-1" on side one it's the original version (at least that's the matrix number on all of the 5 german pressings I have - don't know if they are different in France).

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
hiawatha Offline

Posted: May 11 2006, 18:25

Shouldn't the angry sizzle also identify "original mix" ?

--------------
"In the land of the Dacotahs,
Where the Falls of Minnehaha
Flash and gleam among the oak-trees,
Laugh and leap into the valley."
- Song of Hiawatha
Profile PM 
Clodomir Offline

Posted: May 12 2006, 07:39

Quote (mindphaser @ May 11 2006, 02:10)
All "Hergest Ridge" LPs I have ever come across are the original version (except, of course, the one that is in the "Boxed" set) but it has been said somewhere else that the last pressings contain the remix.

I have bought my copy of Hergest Ridge in France in 1986 or so and it had the remixed version on it.

From what I understood, all the pressings after "Boxed" (1976) have the remixed version on them.

If you read Rainer Münz's history of Virgin Labels http://www.rainer-muenz.de/oldfield/labels.html you see that a LP with the grey or Green/red label is a LP made after 1978.

So if the label of a LP is one of these, the LP should contain the remixed Hergest Ridge. If the label is featuring the twin girls either white or coloured (except for the red and green version, around 1977), it should be a early pressing, with the original version.

--------------
Mike Oldfield - Blog d'une passion
http://www.mike-oldfield.net
Profile PM WEB 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: May 12 2006, 22:44

Can anobody tell me if this is the original? it says, and I hope it is, as I've bought it..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....IT&rd=1
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 13 2006, 03:18

Hi

I think that Clodomir is right....

Thank you

--------------

Profile PM 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 03:45

Hi there!

A friend of mine in England emailed me this:

"The HR Originalmix was released on vinyl only from 74 to 76. Once Boxed was released all vinyl copies had the remixed version from Boxed on instead"

yanouch

--------------

Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 06:05

Quote (yanouch65 @ May 14 2006, 03:45)
Hi there!

"The HR Originalmix was released on vinyl only from 74 to 76. Once Boxed was released all vinyl copies had the remixed version from Boxed on instead"

yanouch

I find this a little bit strange. As far as I recall HR was part of Virgin's "nice price" range ca 1984. I bought my copy in 1984 (or possibly 1983), and it definately had the original mix on it. Is it possible that this copy was printed in 76 and not shipped out to the stores until the early 80s?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
yanouch65 Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 07:07

I don't know.....

But several fans told me the same thing and I think that they are right.

Does anybody has some explanations about this?

:/

--------------

Profile PM 
OneGeneratuonTooLate Offline

Posted: May 14 2006, 13:25

Quote (OneGeneratuonTooLate @ May 12 2006, 22:44)
Can anobody tell me if this is the original? it says, and I hope it is, as I've bought it..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws....IT&rd=1

??
Profile PM WEB 
mindphaser Offline

Posted: May 15 2006, 08:44

Quote (yanouch65 @ May 14 2006, 09:45)

I don't think this is true. Two of my HR LPs have different matrix numbers than the others on side 2, as well as the year in which the matrix has been cut! The year was 1983 but it's still the original mix! That makes me think that most of the HR LPs around contain the original version as this one has been in production at least until 1983. It seems possible that Virgin changed over to the remix after they brought out the CD version in 1984 or 85 but I don't think they were still selling large numbers of HR LPs then....
Greetings from Mindphaser (detective  :cool: )

--------------
www.facebook.com/thesiliconscientist
soundcloud.com/the-silicon-scientist‎
Profile PM 
hairy old hippy Offline

Posted: May 18 2006, 06:00

As far as I can tell, and I've had a few copies of the original mix, the label on the record is the give away.

If it's the original virgin label with the dragon etc then it's the original mix. If you've got in on cd or the label on the record is green with the later, iconic virgin signature, then it's the boxed remix.

The two mixes are quite different, the original being more superior if you ask me, the remix has had instruments removed.

I've got two copies of the original going spare if you want one. Let me know. :)

--------------
Listen to Mohribold; an epic musical tapestry that weaves between a multitude of genres.

Andrew Taylor's Mohribold album has proved very popular with fans of symphonic-rock, prog-rock, psych-folk and indeed Oldfield's classic albums!

www.andrewtaylor.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
12 replies since May 06 2006, 04:14 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net