Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Orchestral HR MP3's, anybody want it?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Scatterplot Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 02 2008, 03:00

Recently I "procured" 2 mp3 files, Orchestral Hergest Ridge parts 1 and 2. I have no way of knowing what the source was, but it was pretty poor quality. Extremely compressed with a lot of noise and hiss, and in general just....poorly recorded. Looking thru a thread on this music, I'm thinking it was a BBC broadcast made sometime in the 70's. Hence the compression and hiss(TV audio is FM). I'm not seeing it in the discography, so I guess it was put on a compilation album. Am I correct in these assumptions? Does anyone have this and is the recording pretty poor? Mine seems to have a slightly chopped off end of part 1. Maybe just a second or 2. Since I had so much fun with the orig. HR, I put pt. 1 thru a "damaged tape" restoration software with lots of noise reduction and EQ. It seems more listenable. I could put it on Rapidshare as before with HR, but first, does anybody want it, or care? To be honest, I don't think it's very good. It just cant hold up to the orig. But if it is something rare or important to you, let me know and I'll polish it up.
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Tommy139 Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2008, 08:58

I would be interested in giving this a listen, HR is one of my favourites and I have never heard this orchestral version.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Jan. 06 2008, 22:56

Ok. I got another source for the OHR, not much better, but slightly. I saw a thread some time ago, several people were debating on whether MO is on this. No. It doesn't sound like he was involved. I ran it thru noise reduction software. I like it with the 16K band tweeked on media player about halfway, makes it more crisp. Have hun.......
Jim

Download-Link #1: http://rapidshare.com/files....p3.html

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
Tommy139 Offline

Posted: Jan. 07 2008, 09:30

Many thanks for this, will give this a listen this afternoon...  :)
Profile PM 
Bleat Offline

Posted: Mar. 02 2008, 19:02

Thanks for sharing.

Very interesting to listen to...I find part 2 transfers a lot better to an orchestral arrangement than part 1...that just has an awkward feel to it imo......

James.

:cool:
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Mar. 07 2008, 01:21

It sounds like the soundtrack to an old movie like "20,000 leagues under the sea"(50's or 60's?). About 5 minutes into the thing, it sounded like the perfect music for the scene where the crew left the sub to go hunt/replenish their food supply and everyone looks in amazement at the sea life.

--------------
Crying to heaven
Profile PM 
xxbbcc Offline

Posted: Mar. 16 2008, 20:55

Thank you for posting this - sounds very interesting. :) I've never heard Hergest Ridge played by a classical orchestra before.
Profile PM 
lostrom Offline

Posted: Oct. 14 2008, 19:41

I now have a rather good sounding version of it on cdr!
Profile PM 
7 replies since Jan. 02 2008, 03:00 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net