Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Orchestral Hergest Ridge< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
BlairT Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Nov. 22 1999, 23:03

Does an Orchestral version of Hergest Ridge exist? It seems like I have heard of one. If so, where can I buy it?
Profile PM WEB 
Sebastian Offline

Posted: Nov. 23 1999, 18:17

Yes, an Orchestral version of Hergest Ridge exists. It was made for "The Space Movie" soundtrack, as far as I remember, but there has only been a testpressing, so you can't buy that soundtrack. You may find excerpts of OHR on some Bootleg-CDs like "Swallowed up by a big fat snake".
Generally said, you can't buy Orchestral Hergest Ridge - unfortunately :(.

Shorah!
Sebastian
Profile PM 
BlairT Offline

Posted: Nov. 24 1999, 15:49

I suppose there is no way to pry this recording out of them legally?
Profile PM WEB 
Sebastian Offline

Posted: April 13 2000, 17:54

I found it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wink

http://srcrisc.srce.hr/~hniksic/mp3/mike-oldfield

Shorah,
Sebastian
Profile PM 
GMOVJ Offline

Posted: April 17 2000, 08:22

GRRRRRRREAT
MP3 is a bit noisy (not enough dolby...). Does the CD has this quality, or is it remastered ? Just Kidding, It's wonderful to have this orchestral version !

God bless you Sebastian !

Does someones know other (full, not only 5 minutes) rarities in mp3 ?

GMOVJ

--------------
Cheers,
GMOVJ
[URL=http://tubular.fodplanet.com]http://tubular.fodplanet.com[/URL] - The french speaking mailing list
Profile PM WEB 
Vinz Offline

Posted: April 17 2000, 11:52

Wonderful !!! It's great ! Thank you Sebastian !
I want to know all about it ! It seems to be David Bedford as being the conductor, but which is the orchestra, who is the choir and who is the female singer ?
And for more rare mp3s, you've got : http://www.geo.uu.nl/~arutten/MOCollection.html
But I think you already know this site !?

Thanx again, it's so good :รต)

--------------
Rejoignez la Tubular Mailing List francophone !
http://www.tubular.free.fr/tubular.php
Profile PM WEB 
Korgscrew Offline

Group: Super Admins
Posted: April 17 2000, 19:41

After solving the mystery of the OHR (i.e. where to find it), another one appears...

There's something interesting about these recordings...
The first half has many of the guitar parts played on the electric guitar. There's a little mystery in itself - who's playing that. It certainly isn't Mike. My guess is that it is in fact Steve Hillage. I'm basing this on style, sound and the fact that he was involved in other MO performances during the early 70s - he's there in the Tubular Bells clip on the 'Elements' video (the guy wearing the odd woolly hat), and he also played the guitar parts for a live performace of TB with orchestra.
For the beginning of the second half, the guitar is absent...this could perhaps be down to arrangement, though...but something else is going on here, which the 'thunderstorm' reveals, as this section does have the electric guitar (played by the same musician as before)...GMOVJ has already said that the recordings are noisy, but in my opinion, part 2 has much less noise on it...until the thunderstorm section kicks in. When it does, the whole sound quality changes - there is suddenly a lot more noise. The actual acoustic of the room it's recorded in seems to change as well, although it can be hard to tell with MP3 compression. After this section has finished, the sound returns to how it was for the beginning. My guess is that this section has been spliced in, and is from a different performance to the rest of part 2 (but the same performance as part 1).

I have a feeling that the reason for this may be that the test pressing the soundtrack for 'A space movie' (which is probably where some of this comes from) had the a voice over dubbed over some of part 2 (someone can no doubt confirm this). The question is, though, where have these recordings come from? Which is from the test pressing (if any) and which has come from somewhere else, in which case, where? My guess here is that the beginning and end of part 2 has come from vinyl (there are some small crackles on it at the beginning), the rest from a tape...perhaps someone knows more, though...
Profile PM 
Sebastian Offline

Posted: April 19 2000, 18:13

Hmm, good questions, Korgscrew!

However, I don't know the answers wink.

BTW, another excellent site for *unreleased* MO rarities is http://www.venture.force9.co.uk/ .

Check it out! smile

Bye,
Sebastian
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 25 2000, 16:57

Hi, Sebastian...I'd like to ask you two questions, since I also downloaded the MP3's of OHR [after more than 5 hours of connection...hope my mum won't get angry, 'cause she's the one who pays the phone bill... smile].
My questions are these: on 18:47 of Part 1 I hear a loud POP noise over the choir.
1) Do you also hear this?
2) What can it be, according to you?

And to Korgscrew: please don't play Mulder again smile over the question of "Who's playing the guitar", because there's no clue (not even a stylistic one...that playing has NO style) that could tell whether it's or it's not Mike Oldfield playing. As far as I know, this MP3 is taken from the STUDIO recording of OHR, which was done by David Bedford and MO together with Orchestral Tubular Bells (Virgin only issued this latter one because it wasn't a hit). In both recordings, it was MO playing the guitar... smile !

[This message has been edited by Ugo (edited 04-25-2000).]

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 27 2000, 22:29

I always play Mulder wink

Trust me, there are many clues, and they all lead me to Steve Hillage. The sound, the way notes are bent with vibrato. It may not be Hillage, just a player with a similar style (his style is perhaps less unique than Oldfield's), but I'm certain that it's not Mike Oldfield there (or was he just having a bad guitar day?)...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 28 2000, 09:13

This excerpt from the 'Elements' may prove what I'm saying...

"In December 1974, orchestral arrangements of Tubular Bells and Hergest Ridge were performedat the Royal Albert Hall in London. The concert was planned by David Bedford who conducted the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra with guitar solos by Steve Hillage."

The whole of part 1 and the thunderstorm from part 2 has come from a tape recording of this performance from the Albert Hall. The rest of part 2 may well have come from the testpressing. 'Nuff said.
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 28 2000, 15:26

OK, Kgsc....I also have the Elements book and this is what it says after your quotation.

"Mike himself played guitar on the studio recording of the same workS [Notice the final S!!], released in early 1975 as The Orchestral Tubular Bells".

Obviously they got it wrong because OHR is NOT on OTB...but this does not prove that the MP3 doesn't come from that studio session. (Maybe it was just a rehearsal). Another Web site (interoz.com) says it comes from the (unreleased) soundtrack album for "The Space Movie"...

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 28 2000, 20:49

That's right - the well known recording of OHR is the one made for the 'space movie' soundtrack, which would (I guess) be the one with Mike Oldfield on guitar. I read somewhere, though, that the testpressing of the soundtrack that has OHR on it also has a voice over dubbed over some of part 2.

I was considering whether some of this MP3 comes from a rehearsal (for the live performance, though) - the thunderstorm section sounds slightly different from part 1 (the acoustics of the hall it's recorded in, in particular).

But trust me, that's Steve Hillage on guitar, not Mike Oldfield wink Once you've heard Hillage's playing, you'll recognise it. The way the guitarist on the recording uses vibrato is completely different to the way Mike does (being a guitarist I notice these things...and I could get very boring and technical explaining the differences).
Profile PM 
Sebastian Offline

Posted: April 28 2000, 20:54

Hi Ugo, yes I hear the pop, too. But I can't tell you what is is smile.

Besides, the maintainer of the website http://interoz.com/raremike/ which you mentioned did download the OHR files from the URL I found, too. You can be pretty sure that the OHR files which now pop up on some MO pages are all taken from my original link.
This news spreads like fire, soon OHR isn't a rarity anymore smile.

"The Space Movie" featured music from Mike's early works (everything up to Incantations), including the unreleased OHR. However, I don't know whether a soundtrack album for The Space Movie was planned.

In fact, according to an old version of Dark Star's discography a test pressing of OHR has been made on 09.12.74 for the "Space Move". But the Space Movie is from 1979... It's kinda confusing! frown

[This message has been edited by Sebastian (edited 04-28-2000).]
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 29 2000, 22:17

The pop: This sounds like something electrical to me. What is causing it depends on what stage it got onto the recording at. It could be something like one of the microphones being knocked lightly (if it was a simple stereo pair or similar used), something that's magnetised the tape slightly at that point, a noise from within the mixing desk used for the recording, something that happened while it was being transferred to MP3...the list could go on.

The origin of the recording: I spoke to somebody who has a copy of the space movie testpressing on CD. Although he hadn't listened to it for a while, he was fairly certain that there was little or no guitar on it, wheras there's quite a lot of guitar on this MP3 here...
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: April 29 2000, 23:07

Sorry, I had some of my facts wrong before. The testpressing, according to the Tubular Web FAQ, contains only part 2 in complete form. Part 1 has the voice over dubbed onto it - a speech by John F Kennedy apparently, and is faded out after 3 minutes.

Which means that Part 1 has to have come from somewhere else...
The thunderstorm from part 2 may have been edited in (and I'm pretty sure it has been) because whoever it was that did it liked the guitar playing on that recording (I'm assuming that the studio recording didn't have guitar in that section).
Profile PM 
rosko Offline

Posted: April 30 2000, 05:52

I'm pretty sure that part 1 came from a live recording from 1974 (the ID3tag says 1974). Part 2 probably did as well, except for the thunderstorm section and everything after it. This probably came from that testpressing for "The Space Movie" since there don't seem to be any other recordings it could have come from. Unless we find any different info, I don't think that we could come to any different conclusion.

As to the "pop" on the recording: WHO CARES!!
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 30 2000, 18:21

Originally posted by Korgscrew:
(Being a guitarist I notice these things...and I could get very boring and technical explaining the differences).

Thanx for telling me that, Korgscrew, and glad to know you're a musician as well as me! (I'm a keyboardist and I also play some acoustic guitar.) I'll trust you a lot more from now on... smile
And don't mind being "boring and technical": all my friends-fellow-musicians are!!

--------------
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: April 30 2000, 18:27

P.S. (Kgsc): Talking of guitars, don't forget to check out the MP3 I just sent you via e-mail...

--------------
Profile PM 
Korgscrew Offline

Posted: May 01 2000, 20:57

This is part of a posting by David Porter on the Amarok mailing list that somebody sent to me...

The premiere concert, in December 1974, was covered by the BBC. There are bootleg copies of this recording around - probably mono only. The orchestra was The Royal Philharmonic conducted by David Bedford.
Another concert of the work was recorded in 1976 by a Scottish Radio station and Virgin bought the rights. On this occasion the orchestra was The Scottish National, again conducted by Bedford, as it was in Glasgow. The guitarist on both occasions was Steve Hillage, although Andy Summers (later of The Police) took part in other performances. Mike never took part in the concert series and sadly Hergest Ridge is rarely played at his own concerts. It is the Scottish concert that shows up on The Space Movie and is more likely to be a stereo recording.

So, there we have it (at least, I think we do...)

[This message has been edited by Korgscrew (edited 05-02-2000).]
Profile PM 
59 replies since Nov. 22 1999, 23:03 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < [1] 2 3 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net