Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Orabidoo sections and volume< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Moz Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Aug. 15 2007, 20:44

I've always liked Orabidoo, but I feel it is a little odd.

The opening section is very pretty, and the closing section is beautiful.  But the middle is... well, it's not bad, but it's just not as good as the rest.

Whenever I get to the end I find I have to turn the volume up a long way.  Why is it so quiet?

I actually took the track and edited it so it starts with the song at the end, then the intro, but I totally removed the main section.  I also balanced the volume of the two outer parts and linked them together quite smoothly.  I haven't put the edited version online yet but if anyone wants to hear it, I'll upload it. :) I just wondered if anyone had already tried to do the same thing.

--------------
Twitter: @benbarden
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 02:49

Quote (Moz @ Aug. 15 2007, 20:44)
I actually took the track and edited it so it starts with the song at the end, then the intro, but I totally removed the main section.

When I edited that track, I removed the first seven minutes and the last two, leaving a four-minute piece. BUT... that was for my 'cartunes' playlist - I don't like quiet music while I'm driving.

I also noticed the low sound level of the ending section. Usually not a problem for me as I tend to listen with headphones a lot.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
larstangmark Online

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 03:20

The middle section is the main even to me, especially as it goes into the "faster" section with lots of melodies that run simultaneously.
The only thing I don't like about Orabidoo now is the slow melodic section that comes after it (the section where there's a voice sample; "..don't come in again like that..."). I find it a bit repetetive and overblown compared to the preceeding sections. It used to be my favorite part of the track.

The "quiet" ending can be a mistake on Mike's part. If you listen to it at full blast in a recording studio it's propably fully audible, but if you have the album on in the background at home you don't hear "Ireland's Eye" at all.

I read somewhere that Rick Fenn wrote that track. I wonder if there's a source of that?

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 03:59

When you say the "middle section" - are we talking about the Vocodered bit? Best bit in the whole album, that, if you ask me... :)

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
larstangmark Online

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 07:39

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 16 2007, 03:59)
When you say the "middle section" - are we talking about the Vocodered bit? Best bit in the whole album, that, if you ask me... :)

That bit is fantastic. It's not instantly memorable, it grows on you. I didn't like at first.

Am I starting a trend of having "Einstein on the beach" signatures, or did you have one first?

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 17:25

I'm ashamed to admit it, Lars - I was so chuffed to see a reference to Einstein in your sig, that I responded in kind! :D

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: Aug. 16 2007, 17:44

Quote (larstangmark @ Aug. 16 2007, 09:20)
I read somewhere that Rick Fenn wrote that track. I wonder if there's a source of that?

I could well believe that. I've stated before that I feel Irelands Eye doesn't sound like something Mike would typically write, and that since Orabidoo is credited as a group composition, I suspect that this part was written by someone else. Good judgement on Mike's part to include it though, as it's a fantastic tune and rounds the track off nicely.
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 13:55

What is Ireland's Eye?
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 14:36

"Irelands Eye" - the final part of Orabidoo, with Maggie's vocal and Mike's acoustic guitar only. Together with "Deep deep sound" from Taurus II, one of the two most magical moments of 5MO, IMHO

cheers

--------------
Just hold your heading true
Got to get your finest out
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 14:44

Whenever I get to the end I find I have to turn the volume up a long way.  Why is it so quiet?

Well, it just means that you've been listening to the remaining part too quiet.

If you listen to it at full blast in a recording studio it's probably fully audible, but if you have the album on in the background at home you don't hear "Ireland's Eye" at all.

You seriously speak abut listening to 5MO IN THE BACKGROUND??? Man, that's a sacrilege indeed...

cheers

--------------
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 14:45

The last one is just a joke...

...to some extent.

amz

--------------
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 14:52

Quote (amazarak @ Nov. 21 2007, 14:36)
"Irelands Eye" - the final part of Orabidoo, with Maggie's vocal and Mike's acoustic guitar only. Together with "Deep deep sound" from Taurus II, one of the two most magical moments of 5MO, IMHO

cheers

How do you know what the parts are called?
Profile PM 
larstangmark Online

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 15:44

Quote (imhotep @ Nov. 21 2007, 14:52)

cheers

The sleeve of FMO displays the lyrics to "The Deep Deep Sound", so that comes from the sleeve. "Ireland's Eye" could be a fan-name for the last part of Orabidoo, but I recall seeing sheet music for that bit somewhere where it's called "Ireland's Eye". I'm not sure though.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 16:28

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 21 2007, 15:44)
Quote (imhotep @ Nov. 21 2007, 14:52)

cheers

The sleeve of FMO displays the lyrics to "The Deep Deep Sound", so that comes from the sleeve. "Ireland's Eye" could be a fan-name for the last part of Orabidoo, but I recall seeing sheet music for that bit somewhere where it's called "Ireland's Eye". I'm not sure though.

My remaster CD doesn't have any lyrics in the booklet.
:(

Thanks though.
Profile PM 
Spinne Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 16:40

Quote (imhotep @ Nov. 21 2007, 22:28)
My remaster CD doesn't have any lyrics in the booklet.  :(

Remaster HDCD CDs doesn't include lyrics, tales, original artwork...

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 21 2007, 21:44)
The sleeve of FMO displays the lyrics to "The Deep Deep Sound", so that comes from the sleeve.

Do you mean that in the original sleeve these lyrics are named as "The Deep Deep Sound" instead of "Taurus II"?
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Nov. 21 2007, 16:48

On my folded LP release there are no Taurus II nor Orabidoo Lyrics, just those of Five Miles Out (in different places of the crayon-drawn "track sheet").

I think all those "Ireland's Eye" and "Deep deep sound" names are just fan terminology to refer particular parts of the pieces.

cheers

--------------
Profile PM 
larstangmark Online

Posted: Nov. 22 2007, 04:39

Quote (amazarak @ Nov. 21 2007, 16:48)
On my folded LP release there are no Taurus II nor Orabidoo Lyrics, just those of Five Miles Out (in different places of the crayon-drawn "track sheet").

I think all those "Ireland's Eye" and "Deep deep sound" names are just fan terminology to refer particular parts of the pieces.

cheers

I know this sounds stupid, but look again! It's barely visible. At least it's on the LP sleeve.

Edit: read more about it in this topic: http://tubular.net/forums....8;t=784

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2007, 11:12

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 22 2007, 10:39)
I know this sounds stupid, but look again! It's barely visible. At least it's on the LP sleeve.

Edit: read more about it in this topic: http://tubular.net/forums....8;t=784

Ah, yes, indeed, I was looking for it in the wrong place :) They are barely visible, but labeled as "The Deep Deep Sound". However, I still can't find anything about the Ireland's Eye...

cheers

--------------
Profile PM 
imhotep Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2007, 15:41

Quote (Spinne @ Nov. 21 2007, 16:40)
Quote (imhotep @ Nov. 21 2007, 22:28)
My remaster CD doesn't have any lyrics in the booklet.  :(

Remaster HDCD CDs doesn't include lyrics, tales, original artwork...

Quote (larstangmark @ Nov. 21 2007, 21:44)
The sleeve of FMO displays the lyrics to "The Deep Deep Sound", so that comes from the sleeve.

Do you mean that in the original sleeve these lyrics are named as "The Deep Deep Sound" instead of "Taurus II"?

That's a fucking stupid move by Virgin.
Half assed!

I hope someday we'll get great re-issues with original artwork and maybe bonus tracks too. There are too many unreleased tracks out there.
Profile PM 
amazarak Offline

Posted: Nov. 22 2007, 16:20

... and without freakin' HDCD or any other remastering technique :)
This sucks most.

cheers

--------------
Profile PM 
20 replies since Aug. 15 2007, 20:44 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < [1] 2 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net