Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: Only Time Will Tell< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
MusicallyInspired Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Dec. 14 2011, 02:50

I took my humble MT-32 and attempted to remake "Only Time Will Tell". It's certainly not as good as the original, especially with the MT-32's limitations. I was really fighting for polyphony! I had to leave out a couple instruments as a result. If I had a second box to throw in overflow mode it might sound a little better. It doesn't have any of the vocal sections for obvious reasons, but it was fun to try and recreate. This is the first time I've touched my MT-32 in a couple years!

http://brandonblume.com/music/onlytimewilltell_mt32.mid

Not anything really special, just an exercise in recreating something with limitations that I thought I'd share.

Of course, this MIDI file won't do you any good if you don't have an actual MT-32. So I'll record a digital version so everyone can hear it properly.

EDIT: Here's an MP3 version. http://brandonblume.com/music/onlytimewilltell_mt32.mp3

--------------
BrandonBlume.com
"The beauty in life is in the embracing of the variety of things. If all the world was blue there would be no colour blue."
Profile PM WEB 
wiga Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Dec. 16 2011, 06:32

Love "Only Time Will Tell" ... and like your two versions and production which is well crystal clear. Mike should employ you to help remix SoDE when it comes around!

Your 2nd MP3 version has a panoramic, sense of space feel about it that matches the atmosphere here in the UK today - a nice dusting of snow all around ... it's very still - all is calm all is bright!

Good to see you back.  :)

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
Yann Kovic Offline

Posted: Jan. 09 2012, 09:17

Nice ! Well done !

A little bit of guitar & singers, and It'will be perfect !

--------------
I like beer, I like cheese, I like the smell of a westerly breeze...

http://www.yannkovic.be/
Profile PM WEB 
Thea Cochrane Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: April 29 2012, 06:53

That's really good (and I speak as someone who owns an MT-32 but never had the patience to get a whole piece out of it on it's own).

I have a few of the sample CDs Mike used on TSODE for vocals (not the exact discs he owned, just the same ones) and could try peppering a few of those over the top if you want. Might even be able to send you some if that would be useful.
Profile PM 
cAveMan Offline

Posted: May 07 2012, 13:48

A great refreshing cover, definitly could benefit from an electric guitar, as Yann said. ^^
Profile PM 
4 replies since Dec. 14 2011, 02:50 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net