Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: one week or one year?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
oGUH Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 06:19

Mike wrote in his biography that he only had one week to record the first part of TB, but I just read this interview:

http://tubular.net/articles/1991_03

he said:

"The reason 'Tubular Bells' took a year to record was that we only had 16 tracks and no automation"

so where's the truth?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 07:48

Both is true. Tubular Bells Part One was recorded in just one week before the Bonzo Dog Doo-Dah Band came in to record. The Manor opened its doors in November 1971. The album "Let´s Make Up And Be Friendly" from the Bonzos was released in March 1972, so recording of Part One must have happened in between. Tubular Bells Part Two was recorded whenever there was spare time at The Manor. Recording was done between autumn 1972 and spring 1973. All in all it took about a year before the whole album was finished.

;)
Profile PM 
oGUH Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2011, 12:33

Ok I see thank you
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: Aug. 27 2011, 18:17

So, where does Abbey Road studios fit in? Mike said on the Elements video interview that he had "heard Paul McCartney was in the next studio, and he played everything himself, and I just loved it"
Profile PM 
Ugo Offline

Posted: Aug. 28 2011, 08:38

I guess Mike saw the huge collection of instruments they had at Abbey Road and that's what inspired him to use the tubular bells on his album - regardless of what Macca was doing. :D I don't think Mike ever recorded at Abbey Road, at least not for the TB album.

--------------
Ugo C. - a devoted Amarokian
Profile PM 
qjamesfloyd Offline

Posted: April 05 2012, 08:24

So, is that definite? McCartney wasn't there when Mike was recording TB?
Profile PM 
manintherain Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: April 08 2012, 13:50

That's right. Whilst the Beatles were at Abbey Road, Mike regularly came in early before his band (Kevin Ayers And The Whole World) showed up. He used the time to play around with the musical equipment in Studio 2. He did not record anything there for Tubular Bells. The demos were made in his flat in Tottenham. Proper recording took place at the Manor.

:O
Profile PM 
6 replies since Aug. 24 2011, 06:19 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net