Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (10) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: One Track a Week, Getting back to the Music.< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Branston P Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Jan. 25 2012, 05:05

Quote (Ugo @ Jan. 24 2012, 08:29)
About discussing the first four albums, well, OK, of course we may do that. But this topic is called "One track a week". The first four albums don't have tracks. Is HR part 1 a "track"? Is TB part 1 or part 2 or Inc. part 1 or anything else from there a "track"? I just can't convince myself that a 19 minute piece can be safely defined as "a track". :D

Well I guess it comes down to personal interpretations Ugo.

I see the start of a piece as the start of a track, and the end of a piece as the end of a track. What happens in between is just a way of bringing a conclusion to the whole piece.
So I say TB pt1 is a track.

Or do we start a new topic. A Part a week ?

Lets do all of the first 4.

--------------
http://soundcloud.com/dunlooser
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2012, 05:47

Let the person who chose the "track" specify the section to discuss (like "bla bla part x 6:14-10:12").

--------------
"There are twelve people in the world, the rest are paste"
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Jan. 25 2012, 07:12

The topic was originally intended to discuss overlooked little tracks that hadn't been discussed to death (Like the big 4) and It was also meant to be about the fact you had just listened to it and if your opinion had changed or you had a new found appreciation for something you had written off years ago.....But hey no matter lets pick Ommadawn Part 2 as I seem to be the only One that loves it...maybe even more than Part One  :O at the mo anyway :laugh:
Profile PM 
Branston P Offline

Posted: Jan. 25 2012, 09:56

Nah yer right Millie. You started the topic so lets do as you say and pick on the lesser known tracks. Make a suggestion for the next someone.

--------------
http://soundcloud.com/dunlooser
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2012, 15:30

We've gone past the old Chinese, Ancient Egyptian and French Revolutionary weeks and we're in between the Aztecs and Mayan's reckonings of 13 and 20 days.  By any standards we're overdue a Mike Melody.  I say, by all means listen to a particular section of one of the early four - it's not going to compare to how good The Sailor's Hornpipe is in Tubular Bells 2003 :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2012, 15:54

No volunteers, so I'll pick another track from Platinum:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwFQsCkhGbY

(Charleston, part of the title track from Platinum)

This is actually a very funky track. The brass figure makes me think of late 70s Stevie Wonder, but the string synth and the eerie girlie chorus is straight out of Ommadawn.
I really love how the bass guitar plays such a prominent role. And the whispered scat vocal...how did he come up with that idea?
This first time I heard this I thought of it as some kind of musical in-joke (same thing with Punkadiddle).
I never thought Charleston worked that well live, it seemed more like a studio experiment.
I also think that it could have been longer. It ends prematurely and makes way for my least favorite part of the Platinum suite.

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 
larstangmark Offline

Posted: Feb. 04 2012, 15:56

Or was that meant to be track of the week, Cavalier? I didn't mean to run you over....

--------------
Mark E Smith
Profile PM WEB 

Posted: Mar. 10 2012, 11:49

No worries here, Lars - the way we're going they'll both be joint tracks of the century...

I hadn't intended my own inactivity to last quite so long, and indeed saw your suggestion during a couple of brief flying visits - appropriately enough for Platinum - but couldn't summon up the will to think hard and type.

Thinking, typing and loving Charleston of course.  Vibraphones aside, probably the longest bit of no-Mike up to that point with the horns and cymbal-tipping.  Who indeed know where the ghosts and scatman came from but that's a distinctive artist for you.

Anyway, it's clear that as we almost simultaneously thought last month, "Let's Dance!"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4d7Wp9kKjA&ob=av3e

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
Milamber Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: Mar. 12 2012, 06:27

I originally found "Charleston" one of the hardest pieces of Mike's music to appreciate.. I love it now of course but that is mainly due the the excellent live version of Platinum from The Complete that brought me around.   :)

Belated Happy Birthday Cav  :D
Profile PM 

Posted: Mar. 13 2012, 10:49

And my eventual thanks, Milamber!  These days I tend to mark the depression of advancing years by realizing what Mike was doing at this point, which means he ticked off TSODE in the last twelve months...  Part of my special day was spent playing Guitar Hero: Metallica, so I'm clearly missing every point that the cosmos is trying to reach me with.

It didn't move Lars as much, but I'm with you on the live variation as well.  I'll need to re-read his Tim Cross interview to see if it was the keyboardist who came up with the idea on how to represent the original without the brass, or whether Mike thought of everything.  Makes you wish that we had similarly re-thought versions for all the tours of the last 20 years that we've never had... :/

--------------
"Who was that?"
Profile PM 
189 replies since Sep. 29 2011, 06:25 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (10) < ... 5 6 7 8 9 [10] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net