Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: One of the Problems with Incantations, and Music of the Spheres< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 20 2009, 20:18

Quote (The Caveman @ July 20 2009, 11:00)
.Er,he wrote it.No-one forced him to use orchestra so how can it be 'imposing' on anything?

The self is a complex thing. In many of Mike's stage appearances he looks decidedly uncomfortable, as though he has forced himself to go on stage. We all have conflicting impulses.
Profile PM 
wiga Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 02:29

Quote (nightspore @ July 20 2009, 20:18)
Quote (The Caveman @ July 20 2009, 11:00)
.Er,he wrote it.No-one forced him to use orchestra so how can it be 'imposing' on anything?

The self is a complex thing. In many of Mike's stage appearances he looks decidedly uncomfortable, as though he has forced himself to go on stage. We all have conflicting impulses.

Nightspore - You couldn't be more right about people being complex with contradictory impulses, but I think you're grasping at straws now :D.

--------------
Barn's burnt down - now I can see the moon.
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 08:50

Quote (wiga @ July 21 2009, 02:29)
You couldn't be more right about people being complex with contradictory impulses, but I think you're grasping at straws now :D.

At this rate it will be the last straw (if not the one that broke the camel's back)  :zzz:

Still, it was to be a long, long time before he used an orchestra again, which points to a certain ambivalence, if not dissatisfaction.... (Someone mentioned on another thread that he found it very difficult to muster the enthusiasm to complete Inc. as well.) Contrast this with his use of bells, which appear on every album, as far as I know (with the possible exception of The Killing Fields... perhaps Ugo could let me know about this; I know how fond he is of the record!;)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 09:08

He did use an orchestra on the 1979 tour (see Exposed)but apart from The Killing Fields soundtrack you're right that he didn't use a real orchestra again till i think TMB.
He did find finishing Incantations a drag according to his book but i believe he had the threapy about half way through recording and already had the orchestra down for part 1.He had to have really as the piece is pretty much orchestral apert from a little rhythm guitar,a  bit  of keyboard and some percussion none of which carry anything much in the way of the melody.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 21 2009, 09:20

BTW there are bells on TKF but they may not be tubular. ;)

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 26 2009, 15:05

I think it`s pretty fair to say that the use of an orchestra within a "rock" format became pretty much passe during much of the 80`s anyway.Even ELO themselves practicaly ditched the orchestra alltogether.Plus at the same time Mike was still a touring musician back then,looking to make a profit I dare say.He lost a fair amount of money on the Incantations tour didn`t he.Not to mention all the time and effort it takes organising all that stuff.Which when you`ve just gone about a major personality change..Well I dare say the major contributing factor was in fact that he simply couldn`t be arsed with it all anymore.The albums after that reflected what he was capable of doing on stage to a certain extent.Within a more "group" contained context.Thinking back now Pink Floyd`s The Final Cut was probably one of the few albums that kind of went against the grain of all that synthy/a million gated drums stuff.

And then after that with Mike we got all the computerised/loop based stuff for about a decade or so.You know I think even he himself knew he was pretty much treading water by the time he got round to putting out L&S.Or at the very least he was going round in circles a little(loop based..brilliant) ..MOTS was not so much as a departure for Mike but a way for him to re-invent himself...Again!It`s just a pity that imo part of the reason why Mike decided to limit himself to acoustic guitar with the orchestra if you like.Is that he still seemed to be under the impression that it was no longer "cool" or that it was a "70`s thing" or something??..To have both orchestra and rock instrumentation together.Where as in actual fact a lot of people are really "turned on"(cliche surely) to that sort of stuff now.Studio 2 albums are still fetching ridiculous amounts of money,and have been for over ten years now.I mean whether or not any of that is relative I don`t really care.I just know that rather like Wiga here I actualy like to hear an orchestra playing alongside "rock" instruments.I rather like Incantations partly because of that.
Profile PM 
45 replies since May 29 2009, 08:59 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (3) < 1 2 [3] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net