Guests cannot vote
Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: One cd or two?, what should this album be?< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Tubularman Offline

Group: Awaiting Authorisation
Posted: June 07 2007, 07:16

Quote (Sweatpea @ June 07 2007, 10:54)
Thanks. I like your list, too, though I don't know what your mixes sound like.

I don't want to sound like a broken record, but I am soooo digging this album.  :D

I also want to mention that while I admire "Ringscape", I didn't include it on my list because I'm not a big fan of 'Blues' style music.

i must agree with you about ringscape. Have you heard the version from the tres lunas game?
Brandon Blume have arranged and mixed it "Snow cavern flight" I like this version best.
I think the orgel sound in Ringscape s awful, and if you reconize; just listen how fast it ends/ fade out..

my own mixes, you can download on my site, but at the moment i dont remember teh web adress. I know you can find it on lyricless too, but all the links i give you later he he..
;)

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
https://soundcloud.com/tubularman
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: June 08 2007, 15:01

I haven't heard anything from 'Tres Lunas'. Should I add that to my collection?

I'm looking forward to hearing your mixes, Tubularman.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 08 2007, 15:16

Quote (Sweatpea @ June 08 2007, 20:01)

If you haven't any experience of the computer game, I guess you'll probably just find it a pleasant but unchallenging experience. If you'd managed to see something of the game, however, and had flown down the snow cavern with the owl in the moonlight, or been carried gently to the island through the late evening by the firebeings, then there'd be a chance that Tr3sLunas (and Tr3s Lunas II) could become MO albums you simply couldn't manage without - which is how it is for me.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 09 2007, 03:31

Quote (Alan D @ June 08 2007, 15:16)
had flown down the snow cavern with the owl in the moonlight, or been carried gently to the island through the late evening by the firebeings

You make it sound like a beautiful experience, Alan.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Alan D Offline

Posted: June 09 2007, 05:28

Quote (Sweatpea @ June 09 2007, 08:31)
You make it sound like a beautiful experience, Alan.

It's haunted me for years, and I've spent a long time trying to catch screenshots that did it justice, and writing about it.

You can see the snow cavern here; and there's some writing with illustrations of some of the adventures here, and here, and here, but they're a feeble subsitute for the game itself.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 09 2007, 06:48

I prefer having the double, had it been a single album I suspect a few of my favourites would have been left out. I'm not quite sure how I'd go about whittling it down either, quite a few of the tracks might or might not be on it.

Let's see... what would I keep in or throw out -

Angelique - out, I don't like it
Blackbird - definitely in
The Gate - probably in
First Steps - definitely in
Closer - out, I prefer Près de toi
Our Father - could be in or out
Rocky - not sure, I don't really like it but sometimes when I've listened to it I did like it after all - very dependent on mood
Sunset - probably in
Près de toi - in
Quicksilver - in
Resolution - definitely in
Slipstream - in
Surfing - definitely in
Tears of an Angel - definitely in
Romance - definitely out
Ringscape - could be in or out
Nightshade - probably in
Lakme - most likely out, again I have to be very much in the mood for it to work, but I do like it more than Romance
Cook's Tune - nice enough tune, but doesn't fit the album, so out

So what remains is:

- Blackbird
- The Gate
- First Steps
- Sunset
- Près de toi
- Quicksilver
- Resolution
- Slipstream
- Surfing
- Tears of an Angel
- Nightshade
- and possibly Ringscape

Yeah, that would do fine I guess.
Profile PM 
Holger Offline

Posted: June 09 2007, 06:53

Quote (Alan D @ Oct. 06 2005, 21:39)
Our Father fell by the wayside because although I very much dislike the vocals, it becomes curiously dull if I remove them.

I think the vocals are the only thing that saves Our Father from being completely dull. Without them, it would still be a bit better than Angelique, but only a bit. And Angelique is easily my least favourite track from the whole collection.
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: June 15 2007, 03:20

Quote (Sweatpea @ June 08 2007, 21:01)

I'm looking forward to hearing your mixes, Tubularman.

sorry, i forgot to give you the links!!!  :O
light and shade mixes
I dont know if you have heard the other mix album The Ultimate bell?? http://www.freewebs.com/theultimatebell/

to hear Tres Lunas 2
visit http://brandonblume.commerceculture.co.uk/new_dim/index.html
choose the
1280x1024 Version
with Flash Title/Menu (Recommended)
-then, music
-then, Other Hosted Music
on that site you will see Tres Lunas 2.

I hope you find all this stuff

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 15 2007, 15:04

Quote (Alan D @ June 09 2007, 05:28)
It's haunted me for years, and I've spent a long time trying to catch screenshots that did it justice, and writing about it.

Alan, your words fit the images so well. It's like poetry. I am intrigued with Tres Lunas, but having recently gotten unaddicted from an online game, I may wait to pursue it. Assuming it's still available, that is?

--------------
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: June 15 2007, 15:08

Quote (Tubularman @ June 15 2007, 03:20)
I hope you find all this stuff

Thanks, Tubularman. :) What a labor of love that all is! Very enjoyable mixes, and I really like how the pieces run together. I also thought the "Amadian" picture vid was cool. I've bookmarked the sites to explore more later.

--------------
Profile PM 
Tubularman Offline

Posted: June 15 2007, 17:15

--------------
Mike Oldfield M i x e s
Profile PM WEB 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 02:43

Quote (Holger @ June 09 2007, 06:53)
I think the vocals are the only thing that saves Our Father from being completely dull. Without them, it would still be a bit better than Angelique, but only a bit. And Angelique is easily my least favourite track from the whole collection.

I think "Our Father" has a very pleasant tune. Yes, it's simple, but I'm fine with the vocals removed. And I strongly disagree about "Angelique". I'm willing to concede that the vocals are unnecessary, but I think it's a gorgeous piece of music - and possibly my favorite from Light + Shade.

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: Jan. 16 2009, 06:11

"Sunset" alone justifies the album's purchase price, even if "Nightshade" is the piece by Mike that I like least of anything he has written. I find it simultaneously boring and depressing, like an over-long eulogy at a funeral. And its repeated clanky motif sounds like the death throes of a robot that is being hanged for some futuristic crime.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2009, 08:03

Can`t say there would be too much I`d want to leave off the album myself.Maybe Surfing and Romance are a little high up on the naffometer for my tastes,but they`re not completely unlistenable.I`m not keen on Romance though I must admit.You know it`s kind of Ibiza meets Laura Ashley or something is`nt it.Hedonistic Wallpaper you might say...Great name for a band though.I saw them last sunday at The Roundhouse with New Wave Coffee Morning & Psychobilly Conservatory.

So yeah definetly a double album for me.And then when you think about all the unreleased stuff that went with the Tres Lunas game,Maestro/bonus material etc.You know I think I could probably argue a pretty strong case for making it a treble imo.I`m not too keen on the whole Light & Shade concept though to be honest.It kind of reminds me of a lack lustre Rod Stewart album from the late 70`s or something.Where one side would be all mid-tempo bop along with your Grandmother.And then the other side would be a comatosed session dude horizontal snoozefest.That`s not to say I think L&S is like that though.I`d just prefer it to be all jumbled up myself.I mean If I`d had my way,that whole Light & Shade idea would`ve been out the window from day one.Which would`ve made quite a good title for the album in fact...Mike Oldfield : Out The Window..And then on the front cover you could have had Mike chucking a great big tubular bell through a pane of glass or something.With this slightly manic/glazed expression on his face.Now that would`ve set tongues wagging over at the Ibizan Laura Ashley Warehouse,that`s for sure.

At the end of the day though,that`s the great thing about having L&S as a double album.Plus the two unofficial Tres Lunas discs and the bonus material etc.Because you can then pick your own favourites yourself,and compile your own little albums out of them I guess.You know you`ve got more to choose from is what I`m saying.In those 2-3 years there Mike produced enough music to make a sprawling multi disc mini masterpiece imo.In years to come maybe people will look back at that time period (02-05) and see it as possibly Mike`s most under rated period of his career I don`t know.That`s how I kind of feel about it from my perspective anyway.And even something like Cook`s Tune,which probably does`nt fit in with the kind of music Mike was producing at the time.Sounds great tagged on at the there,in a kind of Sailors Hornpipe way I suppose...But then I`ve just gone and mentioned the bloomin` bells again hav`nt I?...Aaah bugger it,you can`t get away from em`.
Profile PM 
Bassman Offline

Posted: Jan. 17 2009, 17:46

I know I've said this before, but it's still annoying that both parts could have gone on one disc.  With some very slight judicious trimming, of course.  And if one can't bear that, then a homemade CD using the overburn feature does the trick.  When one takes their CD's on the road, space is at a premium.

--------------
Turn up the music... Hi as Fi can go.
Profile PM 
34 replies since Oct. 03 2005, 16:46 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (2) < 1 [2] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net