Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "On Horseback", made me cry< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
trcanberra Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 11 2008, 04:10

Was listening to Ommadawn again yesterday, my daughter wandered in just as "On Horseback" began and recognised it as Mike immediately, which was interesting given it's the first of his vocals she has heard.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 11 2008, 08:08

A clever and obviously musically well brought up child.Mine know most of Mike's stuff now.They haven't too much choice.Well done your daughter! :laugh:

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 11 2008, 11:26

Quote (Dirk Star @ Feb. 29 2008, 12:41)
"Hey and away we go!"

I once got chased through a field by two large Shirehorses late at night.Whatever posessed me to walk through that field god only knows?.So Ok I was drunk,and I was carrying a half consumed tray of curried fried rice and chips with a plastic fork sticking out of it.Somehow or other I managed to get to the other side of that field backside intact.And then hurdle the fence at the end of it with takeaway still in hand.No way on earth would I have been able to do that sober,but then I wouldn`t have bloody been in there in the first place.Who would`ve thought that such masterful beasts would have a late night hankering for naff chinese cuisine?Seems we`re not so different after all.

I`d always been very comfortable around horses up until that point.But I must admit I`m a little bit wary of them now.Even when there`s a fence there for protection.I still think they`re amazing animals though.And On Horseback is a beautiful tribute to them.I love the Bob Edmands description of this track which is quoted in the boxed booklet.Where he likens the track to a kind of Rolf Harris children`s novelty piece.And then goes on to heap great praise on the amount of care and attention to detail Mike had put into it...."The result is utterly charming and disarming.Instant,beautiful euphoria."
Quite right Sir.

lol  :laugh:  you crack me up  :p  that hankering quote should definately be in the misquotes section ^_^

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

(insert the last 5 mins of Crises here)
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 11 2008, 12:45

And bugger me if i didn't notice that Dirk had quoted exactly the same extract from the Boxed book as me.....months before.Damn.
As a teetotaller i don't think i'll find myself drunk (well in a simlar state maybe)in a field with horses with a taste for chinese food but i will bear it in mind  :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 11 2008, 13:10

Quote (The Caveman @ July 11 2008, 17:45)
And bugger me if i didn't notice that Dirk had quoted exactly the same extract from the Boxed book as me.....months before.Damn.
As a teetotaller i don't think i'll find myself drunk (well in a simlar state maybe)in a field with horses with a taste for chinese food but i will bear it in mind  :laugh:

Right with you there on the teetotalness. It totaly rawks doesn't it... watching all the others get silly out of their faces and you can recount every instance with reliable clarity  :D

Hold onto your breeches, The Caveman, I'm on my way with curried chinese food!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Everyone's interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 11 2008, 13:15

As long as it's veggie mate.I do have some vices but it ain't alcohol!It does make me laugh seeing people get wrecked on drink.Played at a local beer festival last weekend  and it was hugely amusing!!!

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 11 2008, 19:02

Quote (arron11196 @ July 11 2008, 17:10)
Quote (The Caveman @ July 11 2008, 17:45)

Right with you there on the teetotalness. It totaly rawks doesn't it... watching all the others get silly out of their faces and you can recount every instance with reliable clarity  :D

Hold onto your breeches, The Caveman, I'm on my way with curried chinese food!

I like beer and I like cheese :D .

Today was my birthday, but I spent it sober, I like a pint or two of real ale or cider very occaisionally. I did any drinking last night as I'm driving up to Warwickshire tomorrow, and I'd much rather have my driving  licence than I would a beer.  That's if it all goes to plan , as my wonderful boyfriend is unwell atm, but I would love to be with him, fetching him cups of tea, and holding his hand , and giving him a hug, if he can tolerate it, as after all love is the best medicine.   I think he has this thing as I was a carer for eight years for my disabled ex husband (we remain friends) and so he doesn't like me running round after him, but I know with my boyfriend it's temporary.  He looked after me in April following surgery so it's only fair I look after him, and this is a case of me doing it 'cos I want to and I love him very much              :)  :D .

Curried Chinese food Yum!!! oh yes about alcohol, I'm the same I prefer to keep a straight head these days, my wild youth, I much prefer to have clarity of events.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 11 2008, 22:51

Quote (arron11196 @ July 11 2008, 18:10)

[/QUOTE]Right with you there on the teetotalness. It totaly rawks doesn't it... watching all the others get silly out of their faces and you can recount every instance with reliable clarity  :D [QUOTE]

I honestly don`t know how you guys do it?I don`t finish work here until one in the morning on a friday night.So I`m usualy pretty ravenous by the time I get home half an hour later.Consequently rather than wake everyone up in the house by starting to rattle all the pots and pans around(yeah ok I`m a lazy git) I normaly end up in my local pizza/kebab shop with all the merry folk from the nearby nightclub.Why the hell I keep going back in there at that time of night God only knows?And all I can add to that is those guys serving in there deserve some sort of Kebab Medal Of Honour for putting up with it all.You know I`ve really had to bite my tongue in there on numerous occasions..."Jesus Christ man he`s asked you three times..chilli or fricken` garlic???If you stopped shouting at the top of your voice for five seconds,and staring at that poor lass slumped in the corner with one shoe missing.You would nave been served bloody ages ago."

Even worse when I`ve bumped into people I know in there,wondering why they`ve never seen me out earlier.I`m the only guy in there with a jacket on for crying out loud.Who can actauly stand upright without having to rock from side to side or lean against a wall.Somebody call Hercule Poirot see if he can`t figure it out for you where the hell I`ve been all night?Not that I get bitter about it all you understand (Mmmm bitter)...Ah to hell with it,it`s ten to four in the morning and I`m gonna` have a drink.Wake me up when it`s time to go to bed.
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 12 2008, 03:48

LOL, an interesting comment I must say...  :D

I have a feeling Hercule will be poking around your bedroom... perhaps poking his silver walking stick into your foot to get life signs...!

Beware!  :p

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 12 2008, 03:53

I rarely get that oddball out of nowhere need to hear On Horseback, probably because of its unique character. To want to play it off the cuff, I usually do so when I'm in a super happy mood not just happy but Amarok "Happy..."  :D

Lovely track though. I find it very calming in a way. I like the way that it doesn't sound particularly dated either; I wouldn't be able to tell you what year it was recorded!

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 07:47

I do have a theory on the kebab but it's actually gross so i won't post it here.
Dirk...you don't live in Banbury do you?The scenario you describe sounds just like a normal night here.

To Aaron...i'm suure you know it was recorded in 1975 but you are right in that it has a certain timeless charm.Although i bet the Grifiths kids (aka the Penrhos kids)cringe everytime they hear it!!! :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 08:44

Quote (The Caveman @ July 10 2008, 08:06)
I read somewhere that the 'hipper elements of Mike's audience wouldn't be seen dead listening to a Rolk Harris novelty tune

Cave, that came from the liner notes to Boxed. Actually, I don't like "On Horseback" myself (or very much MO prior to Platinum, actually - that's why you'll seldom find a post from me on the early album forums). However, what I want to say is that given 1) Mike goes on to say "I'd rather be with you than flying through space" and 2) later in his career he embraced space to the nth power, you have to wonder whether Mike himself still likes the song. I personally think he accepted Arthur Clarke's invitation to go into space and consequently left everything equine behind (although he took horses with him in the Maestro game).
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 09:14

He hasn't made any comment that i've read (although he still keeps horses...Misty from L&S is named after his horse)other than it was added as 'desert'.As to wether he likes it or not.....Mike are you reading this?Like it or not?

:laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 12:41

Quote (The Caveman @ July 14 2008, 12:47)
I do have a theory on the kebab but it's actually gross so i won't post it here.
Dirk...you don't live in Banbury do you?The scenario you describe sounds just like a normal night here.

To Aaron...i'm suure you know it was recorded in 1975 but you are right in that it has a certain timeless charm.Although i bet the Grifiths kids (aka the Penrhos kids)cringe everytime they hear it!!! :laugh:

Apparently when you look at kebab "meat" under the microscope it moves.Which is pretty gross in itself I guess.As for The Pehrhos Kids I`m not so sure on that one myself.I think if that was me singing on that song as a young kid,I`d probably be quite proud of it in a way.I dare say I`d feel differently about it if there was a film clip akin to the St.Winifred`s school choir on TOTP`s or something though.Yeah I`d be staying tight-lipped if that were the case.Forever incognito,you might say.?..  :p

As far as "Mike in space" goes I think I`m still more of a fan of Mike`s earlier albums myself.i.e. Tubular Bells up to and including Incantaions.With Incantations being kind of the pinnacle for me.."Ground control to Major Oldfield" you might say.Or even "Planet Earth is blue"...Well yeah looking at it from space I dare say blue would kind of be the predominant colour up there.Maybe Mike`s work is getting a little darker after all?Or maybe he`s just not "seeing" as many colours as he once did?..From down here.It`s a strange thing I suppose because from an autobiographical point of view people would maybe be inclined to say that the reverse of that is true.That he was maybe too far inside himself to see anything back then?...Hey nice one Dirk,talk about tieing yourself in knots with that one.Yeah "beam me up Scotty" before I dig myself in deeper...

The Horse of course(heh heh) is one of the Chinese star signs I do believe.Highly compatible with dogs,goats and tigers apparently.Although in reality if you were to put a shitload of tigers in a field full of horses,not to mention the whole dog n` goat element of it all.Well I would`nt be putting too much money on the non-stripey guys put it that way.Not unless there was Zebras in there in disguise...The year of the horse: : is a time for progress, it is a very happy-go-lucky, frantic and wild year that is both adventurous and satisfying.  There will be an upward turn to the year with a deal of good humour.  It is a year for going it alone, perhaps with some shocks in store but on the whole a courageous and daring year...

Apparently I myself was born in the year of the fire horse..21 jan 1966-8 feb 1967...The Fire Horse - highly strung, powerful, inconsistent, alluring and motivated by strength of will ....Highly strung and inconsistant???..Get the hell out of here,no way buster..Mmmm yeah on the other hand though.?.?...
Profile PM 
arron11196 Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 13:07

I find the concept of astrology fascinating - the jury is still out in my head whether the influences are real or part of some sub-psychological mass hysteria. It's probably a bit of both, I just don't know.

I have read various books that describe me as I am supposed to be. There is usually a fair amount of truth, but I've never yet found a completely accurate picture of me from within any tome.

I've come to think as those descriptions as like a "template" (even the more accurate ones) a bit like genetics. You can be born an ectomorph with a tendancy for skinniness, and become a mesomorph just the same. I think everyone's upbringing changes them from the reference point of a standard astrological guide.

That's the only interpretation I've come to think of that fits, for me. There's a lot of people out there who will say that it is all poppycock; and more that will say you can live your life by it. Even more will be in the middle ground, like me.

There's a high degree of subjectivity when it comes to all interpretation. Anyone can read a description about themselves and think "thats me!" seeing patterns where they may not be, so I can never say for certain that my final thought on this topic has been thunk.

I don't see any connection between Mike and space in his early works. When I listen to TB, Ommadawn, Incantations, Platinum, QE2... Crises... all the images and depictions that I get are all based on solid ground. The only exception for my way of thinking is "In High Places" which, given the words, kind of forces me to imagine some celestial connotations.

Even with TSODE, there aren't many elements to it which particularly connote spacefaring or other such happenings. Personally, whether it was intended that way or not, TSODE sounds to me most like a telling of the biblical first 7 days, just done slightly differently. That of course immediately stems from the spoken words "In The Beginning..." and so forth, but I found the structure and composition to match the story.

MOTS was the first music that propelled my imagery to something more celestial in nature. Particularly in The Tempest; I can see the swirls and complicated forces at work bringing together a proto-planetary disc to begin the fires of evolution.

Of course, everyone's individual interpretation is different, and everyone has a right to that opinion. There is no "right" one, I am adding this post to communicate my thoughts here to share them with like-minded souls who will be able to comment in good nature.

--------------
Arron J Eagling

Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 17:44

Quote (The Caveman @ July 14 2008, 11:47)

I'd be interested in hearing your theory of the kebab Caveman.  
I wonder how you can only seem to eat kebabs after a night on the booze   :O , I don't think anyone in their sane mind could eat one from a kebab shop when sober.   I find the best thing is to make your own, grill some veggies, tomatoes, sweetcorn, button mushrooms, onions, peppers, and for the non vegetarians add some lamb, chicken or maybe pork, and a dash of Tabasco/chilli sauce    :cool: .  For those who prefer a meatier kebab fry some lamb, add chilli or mint sauce, and plenty of salad veg :cool: .  I'm pretty hot in the kitchen.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 18:14

I had the Media Player set to Random Play a few Months ago and without thinking to ReSet I slotted Ommadawn in... Its a 3 tk on My CD anyway......    Horseback played as Tk2   .. Tell u the Truth it works pretty Good like that too try it !! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 18:16

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 14 2008, 16:41)
As far as "Mike in space" goes I think I`m still more of a fan of Mike`s earlier albums myself.i.e. Tubular Bells up to and including Incantaions.With Incantations being kind of the pinnacle for me.."Ground control to Major Oldfield" you might say.Or even "Planet Earth is blue"...Well yeah looking at it from space I dare say blue would kind of be the predominant colour up there.Maybe Mike`s work is getting a little darker after all?Or maybe he`s just not "seeing" as many colours as he once did?..From down here.It`s a strange thing I suppose because from an autobiographical point of view people would maybe be inclined to say that the reverse of that is true.That he was maybe too far inside himself to see anything back then?...Hey nice one Dirk,talk about tieing yourself in knots with that one.Yeah "beam me up Scotty" before I dig myself in deeper...

The Horse of course(heh heh) is one of the Chinese star signs I do believe.Highly compatible with dogs,goats and tigers apparently.Although in reality if you were to put a shitload of tigers in a field full of horses,not to mention the whole dog n` goat element of it all.Well I would`nt be putting too much money on the non-stripey guys put it that way.Not unless there was Zebras in there in disguise...The year of the horse: : is a time for progress, it is a very happy-go-lucky, frantic and wild year that is both adventurous and satisfying.  There will be an upward turn to the year with a deal of good humour.  It is a year for going it alone, perhaps with some shocks in store but on the whole a courageous and daring year...

Apparently I myself was born in the year of the fire horse..21 jan 1966-8 feb 1967...The Fire Horse - highly strung, powerful, inconsistent, alluring and motivated by strength of will ....Highly strung and inconsistant???..Get the hell out of here,no way buster..Mmmm yeah on the other hand though.?.?...

Eh "Mike in space" I'm a bit confused.  Yes I'm with you on Mike's earlier albums from Tubular Bells to Incantations, but Ommadawn has to be my own personal favourite.  I'm wondering with your Bowie references if you think of Mike as being a Ziggy Stardust or Aladinsane type character, in that his music and his looks seem to constantly metamorphose.  Mike Incantations era looks totally different from the Mike of Tubular Bells Hergest Ridge and Ommadawn, shame as I love Mike's hippy look. I think seeing Mike on the Incantations cover and also when he was on Blue Peter was the first time I saw what he looked like, so I was pleasantly surprised about his "Hippy Jesus" look.
I do wonder about Mike's work I would generally say his earlier works were generally darker, but they had there moments of light as well as shade. I think Mike had many "demons" in the early days, I do wonder if he has excorsied them, as he seems to have done, but I do feel that depression can strike at anytime, particularly when I read about some of the issues he faced as a boy/teenager.

arron11196   Posted on July 14 2008, 17:07I find the concept of astrology fascinating - the jury is still out in my head whether the influences are real or part of some sub-psychological mass hysteria. It's probably a bit of both, I just don't know.

I have read various books that describe me as I am supposed to be. There is usually a fair amount of truth, but I've never yet found a completely accurate picture of me from within any tome.

I do wonder about astrology, in Chinese astrology I was born in the year of the Pig (1971) and so was my boyfriend (1959).  I did read that pigs should avoid relationships with other pigs. Then again in Western astrology it does say that a Cancerian (me) would have a turbulent time forming a relationship with a Sagattarius (my boyfriend), but we get on just fine. I think that other planets have an influence, I've a friend whose into astrology and has done a chart of planetary influences at the time of my birth, and also my boyfriend.  I have Mars in Aquarius and that makes me unconventional, and my boyfriend has Mars in Saggattarius, so this makes him well, more hot  ;).  Mars is the planet that rules over well sex.

I would say on some things I'm pretty Cancerian, I have a love of old things, and I can hoard a bit, I find it difficult to clear out cupboards, and throwing things out or giving them away.  It does say that female cancerians are the mothers of the zodiac, but I've never really done the mummy thing. I like kids, but looking after them 24/7 isn't for me. Cancerians are meant to love cooking, I do enjoy cooking sometimes, but doing it all the time is a bit of a drag.  I do like my home, but I also have the sense of adventure that Saggatarians are meant to have.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,

"Part time hippy"

Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 14 2008, 20:26

Quote (moonchildhippy @ July 14 2008, 18:16)
=
Eh "Mike in space" I'm a bit confused.

The idea was that Mike rejected the idea of space in "On Horseback", but then later in his career embraced it, with TSODE (which, after all, is a chapter by chapter interpretation of the favourite SF novel of the hardest-core SF writer there ever was!;), Tr3s Lunas, Maestro, TB2 (which has titles taken from Arthur Clarke stories), and maybe even Music of the Spheres.
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 03:53

Yeah on the sleevenotes of TSODE Arthur C Clarke says welcome back to space Mike or something along those lines does`nt he.I would`nt say that Mike rejected space because he prefered to be On Horseback though.I just took it as a nice thing to say about horses really.You know he obviously rated "flying through space" quite highly imo.Besides which space rhymes with face of course... :p

There was the space movie thing though which featured alternate versions of music that then found it`s way onto Incantations.Plus I know the first time I read Sir Mustapha`s description of the TB1 theme,as being like an alien message broadcast through space.You know that really hit home for me somehow,when I read that.Even though I`d never had the imagination to think of it myself I must admit.That said I do agree with Arron about most of Mike`s earlier albums having that earthbound feeling I suppose.Although despite the fact that I`ve never even read TSODE.I must admit a lot of the music from that album does tend to take me up to the stars somehow.
Profile PM 
72 replies since Aug. 22 2007, 03:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 [2] 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net