Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "On Horseback", made me cry< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Dirk Star Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 19 2008, 08:15

So up to now it`s been..Long walks,Horses,Cars,Aeroplanes,Helicopters,Gliders,Motorbikes and Sailing Boats...Added to which I`m pretty convinced I saw Mike on the London Underground in 1985.Seems to me the bloke just does`nt like keeping still for a second.If Mike Oldfield has`nt made enquiries about how he could possibly get to fly into space someday I`ll eat hay with a donkey.Or even a horse,I`m honestly not that particular.

I can just see Mike now in fact touching down at the first planet he came across for a quick brew and a roll-up.Consequently being chased back to his spacecraft by some angry little green men brandishing ray-guns..."Oi you!..Get orrf my planet".
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 19 2008, 09:25

Hahahahaha!

Was just thinking that indeed--the earth flies around the sun at over 18 miles a second, but as part of the solar system, which is revolving around the center of the Milky Way Galaxy, travels over 135 miles per second. We also fly through space as part of our galaxy, which would be at a different speed, and maybe our entire universe is on the move, too, if there is more than one universe. One thing, though, I've never been on a cruize, but don't some of them offer horseback riding? So...you could be riding at one speed on a horse that is on a ship traveling at a different speed that is flying with the earth around the sun, the sun around the galaxy, and the galaxy through the universe. Hmm....I nearly feel Einstein's hand on my shoulder saying, "yeah, it is all relative." :D  (Probably the ghost the kids say lives here, ha. )

Well, on that note, I am off for a run and will try not get dizzy--and fly through space and land on the ground!  Reminds me that my space tape never turned up in this move--great kids songs on there. One is, "space is a place that begins on the ground. Fills in between things and spreads all around."

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
hibbo Offline

Posted: July 21 2008, 07:14

Hi Guys, New to the forum. I recently watched a home made clip of "On Horseback" on You Tube. Not bad but in the comments it mentions that it is a different "Original Edit". I compared to the version i have and it does sound different as the guitars are alot more upfront. Does anyone know where this different version is from? Sounds like it has been ripped from vinyl.

JH
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 21 2008, 08:01

Welcome to the forums, Hibbo. Perhaps you could post a link to the clip so that others can offer comments.
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: July 22 2008, 10:42

If you sing the words of On Horseback over the main theme of Ommadawn - you realise that the main theme is just a variantion.
You can do the same with the start of part 2 - you just need to sing a bit slower.
And you can do the same with the dance at the end of side 2 - if you sing a bit faster.
And while the words dont quite fit - you can see how the chordal structure works for the uillean pipe section.
So - both parts 1 and 2 are all based on the same theme.  
and since the pipe section is Sad Song for Rosie - the roots of Ommadawn go back to the teenage Oldfield pre-tubular Bells.
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2008, 11:24

When you listen to "On Horseback" it makes me wonder if this Album was really meant to be  "Hergest Ridge 2" but was given a different title to save confusing People..  

For me anyway both Albums Fit into the Kington Period ... :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2008, 19:08

Ommadawn Rocks!!!!  It is the peak of MO's genuine musical output.  
I have spent all my life playing it and listening to it.   It never seems dull.

R  :cool:

PS - If anyone wants lessons in how to blow up a Porsche engine.......(oops.) I can send you some useful notes, Hergest Ridge would be good place to go right now . :/  ;)  :D  but i can't get there!!

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Oct. 11 2008, 20:14

Wouldn't just setting it on fire do the job? Last I heard gasoline explodes.......I seen it in the movies.....the car always 'splodes after it crashes.

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: April 05 2009, 19:16

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 22 2007, 17:24)
Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 22 2007, 09:09)
on my cd, On Horseback's just the end of part 2, it's not a track on its own.

That's true, Ebony - but if you play track two before track one, then "On Horseback" (AKA Ommadawn Part Two and a bit) comes between the two halves of ommadawn... I think. You see? I Make sense? Who knows?

:D

It's a funny one this.

When I looked at my old vinyl record version I can discern a difference in the grooves (like you got between tracks on other records) between the end of 'Ommadawn' Pt.2 proper and 'O.H.', but it was never listed as a separate track.

My own view is that it is a separate song - added almost as a post script - but still somehow being a part of the overall Ommadawn statement. When it has appeared separately it is always referred to as "On Horseback" - never Ommadawn Part 2 (end section) for example.

It is a sweet little thing indeed. Perfect for the christmas season perhaps? Maybe it was an early example of a bonus track?

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 26 2009, 23:14

Quote (El Mystico @ July 22 2008, 10:42)
If you sing the words of On Horseback over the main theme of Ommadawn - you realise that the main theme is just a variantion.
You can do the same with the start of part 2 - you just need to sing a bit slower.
And you can do the same with the dance at the end of side 2 - if you sing a bit faster.
And while the words dont quite fit - you can see how the chordal structure works for the uillean pipe section.
So - both parts 1 and 2 are all based on the same theme.

El Mystico, do you mean the chorus, "Hey and away we go"? I hadn't thought of that before, but I suppose it could work. I have a more difficult time applying it to "Part 2", but I'm certainly not the quickest at discerning themes!

Quote (3Wheeler @ Oct. 11 2008, 11:24)
When you listen to "On Horseback" it makes me wonder if this Album was really meant to be  "Hergest Ridge 2" but was given a different title to save confusing People..

3Wheeler, it does seem in keeping with the atmosphere of HR. And (dare I say) might it have worked out better on HR and off Ommadawn??

Quote (Ghostmojo @ April 05 2009, 19:16)
My own view is that it is a separate song - added almost as a post script - but still somehow being a part of the overall Ommadawn statement. When it has appeared separately it is always referred to as "On Horseback" - never Ommadawn Part 2 (end section) for example.

I love the song and always look forward to it concluding my full album sessions but I agree with you, Ghostmojo, on its seperateness. And my opinion vacillates on whether or not it's really essential to the work.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Dec. 27 2009, 00:02

Hey, we were just talking about you a few days ago Sweatpea. "What happened to her?" It's been a long time. How the heck are ya??
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: Dec. 29 2009, 03:26

Welcome back Sweetpea!

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
El Mystico Offline

Posted: Jan. 11 2010, 04:26

Hi Sweatpea; I mean the whole thing.
As a simple example - take the opening theme of Part One. You get the "main theme" played on guitars. You try singing "I like beer and I like cheese" to this. Then you get the "second theme" with the synthesiser, bass and girlie background. Try singing "hey and away we go" to that.
It works.
You can do the same with every section on Part One and Two. Yes, Part Two can be harder, which is why it look me so long to realise. In particular, some of the sections on Part Two are speeded up (bazouki tune) and slowed down (opening section)
Profile PM 
72 replies since Aug. 22 2007, 03:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 3 [4] >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net