Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "On Horseback", made me cry< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Inkanta Offline

Group: Admins
Posted: July 15 2008, 07:24

Les Penning had introduced Mike to the pleasures of horseback riding during the time that Ommadawn was coming to life. Mike also used a rhyming dictionary--at least he mentioned that regarding Moonlight Shadow--and he had this thing about airplanes. So....I took it to be a salute to his new found love of horseback riding (which didn't last forever) and needing a rhyme. I took "flying through space" to be flying in an airplane.

--------------
"No such thing as destiny; only choices exist." From:  Moongarden's "Solaris."
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Group: Members
Posted: July 15 2008, 08:17

Quote (Inkanta @ July 15 2008, 07:24)
I took "flying through space" to be flying in an airplane.

Just to make it rhyme, you mean? I suppose so... although he could also have said (totally frivolous suggestion) "big, brown beastie, gentle mare/I would rather be with you/Than flying high in the air".
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 08:41

Hmmm he could have said that i guess :laugh:

Althought i've always taken the "flying through space" lone to me just that.The line "some find it strange to be here/on this small planet/in who knows where" seems to suggest this is what he meant.The lyrics were a collaboration between Mike and William (Willy) Murray so maybe he could explain.Except he passed away i believe sometime after Amarok,for which he wrote the firytale in the booklet from the original release.

"cheer up cloth-ears.....it's only a fairytale innit"

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
Sir Mustapha Offline

Group: Musicians
Posted: July 15 2008, 08:58

I take the "flying through space" more literally, especially since the upwards guitar slide that follows it sounds like a playful mockery of sci-fi effects, UFO theremins, or something like that.

--------------
Check out http://ferniecanto.com.br for all my music, including my latest albums: Don't Stay in the City, Making Amends and Builders of Worlds.
Also check my Bandcamp page: http://ferniecanto.bandcamp.com
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 20:35

Quote (Sir Mustapha @ July 15 2008, 08:58)
I take the "flying through space" more literally, especially since the upwards guitar slide that follows it sounds like a playful mockery of sci-fi effects, UFO theremins, or something like that.

Yes, I'd forgotten about that; it's a long time since I listened to the piece. I think that clinches the case for the argument that with regard to space there was a paradigm shift in Mike's attitude, probably some time around Platinum or QE2, where he starts talking about Taurus, a constellation (I know this can also be interpreted just as an astrological birth sign but it is an "object" in space as well).
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: July 15 2008, 23:59

Well, now we can here it anytime.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_g-gTcohSQ

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 16 2008, 00:37

And of course around the time of Platinum and QE2he also started to embrace electronic instruments and effects. It amounted to a big "yes!" to technology and to looking outwards (away from the earth, at least).
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 16 2008, 05:17

Big brown mane/Up in me plane... :p

On the "Starship Earth" theory.As far as I`m aware I would`nt imagine there`s an awful lot of horseback riding taking place in limbo.Which is basicaly what Mike would have to be saying there really.Err or maybe not though?I`ve kind of confused myself now..Maybe it`s a one for some lateral thinking existentialists out there?Way beyond my realms of thinking that`s for sure..So yeah I`m definetly on board for the ufo/rocket thing.Otherwise he`d have been better off singing "I would rather be with you than filling in tax returns.Or unblocking the toilet".

It`s nice to read Caveman quote that line though.."some find it strange to be here/on this small planet/in who knows where"..Even though it`s not at the start of the song I suppose.It`s just a great kind of take on the "Once Upon A Time" phrase for me.Kind of a "Here Upon A Where?" or something.You know it`s so easy to go on some kind of whimsical overdrive with this song it`s ridiculous.Personaly I love all that stuff myself though(you don`t say)..But yeah we`re flying through space right here and now of course.Depending upon which direction your walking in.It`s possible to travel faster by standing still.(hold the front page Johnny this guy`s got a scoop)..Yeah put me through to the Dalai Lama`s PA,I`ve got a cracking little soundbyte for his next novel.

A couple of weeks back we`re sat watching the last epipsode of Dr Who here with the kids.And those fiendish Dalek dudes along with Davros and that loony wobbling jellyfish type Dalek.Have transported the planet to some outer reaches of the cosmos somewhere so that they can bring about The Darkness or something.Seemed a bit of an extreme length to go to just to try and resurrect the career of a rather poor cod/metal outfit but there you go.Apparently for the Christmas episode The Cybermen plan to blow up the sun in an attempt to re-unite The Brotherhood Of Man..What will they think of next?..But anyway eventualy it all gets sorted of course and the Earth is winging it`s way back home through space back to it`s natural orbit.And just as we see the planet traveling on it`s merry way the wife here chimes in with(and I kid you not)...."Surely everything would just fall off?"..Starship Earth indeed.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 16 2008, 08:20

Btw the veggie theory (well you did ask Moon):The kebabs sold in kebab houses throughout Britain should not be confused with good,homemade kebabs.The ones eaten by drunken people are a breed apart.The meat is often described as  'kebab meat' and the owners refuse to be drawn as to what animal this meat is made from (looks like elephant leg to me when it's put on the spit).I digress.The theory is that this variety of kebab is not intended to pass through the human digestive system.It is merely sold as an aid to sobering up.As it reaches the stomach it soaks up all the alcohol,in the manner of a kitchen towel.Having done this it goes back up and out from whence it came (usually after a distance not exceding 500 yards from said eaterie).Thus the drunk person becomes very sober very quickly therefore bringing the hangover on somewhat early but preventing all the tedious shouting to god over the great white telephone as this function has already been performed.

You want chilie sauce? :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 16 2008, 08:21

Sorry that was the Kebab Theory.Not the Veggie theory. :)

--------------
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: July 16 2008, 08:53

It`s been an awfully long time since I`ve thrown up anything Caveman.I hate to think how many undigested kebabs are floating around down there.It`s a prefectly believable theory though I must admit.

I actualy like those kind of kebabs both drunk and sober.What can I say?May the almighty and powerful Gordon Ramsay strike me down for my terrible taste-buds.I`m sure old Jamie Oliver has probably gone on some rant about them as well.And yet he`s stood there on the telly wobbling about fatter than I am.And I`ve got god knows how many years of old kebabs here rattling about inside me.Yeah breathe in a bit more Jamie me old bone china,and we might take some of your advice to heart...Besides which I used to go out with a girl called Donna who was quite large you know so it`s a bit of a nostalgia trip for me into the bargain..Heh heh like a "badly packed kebab"...There`s a euphamisim you don`t really want to visualise.I`m sure Jamie Oliver is familiar with it though.Being the salt of the earth knees up mother brown cockernnee Dick Van Dyke barrow boy that he is.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 16 2008, 12:22

I have heard of this phrase,and you are right that i do not wish to go there!All i can say is that you must have the constitution of an ox to keep a kebab down when p*ssed!Never could myself when i ate meat.Mind you i was terrible at alcohol so that's hardly surprising.
 Going back to the topic sort of,i think i know what the meat may have been.......

Big brown beastie big brown face........... :laugh:

--------------
Profile PM 
moonchildhippy Offline

Posted: July 16 2008, 18:04

Quote (The Caveman @ July 16 2008, 12:20)
Btw the veggie theory (well you did ask Moon):The kebabs sold in kebab houses throughout Britain should not be confused with good,homemade kebabs.The ones eaten by drunken people are a breed apart.The meat is often described as  'kebab meat' and the owners refuse to be drawn as to what animal this meat is made from (looks like elephant leg to me when it's put on the spit).I digress.The theory is that this variety of kebab is not intended to pass through the human digestive system.It is merely sold as an aid to sobering up.As it reaches the stomach it soaks up all the alcohol,in the manner of a kitchen towel.Having done this it goes back up and out from whence it came (usually after a distance not exceding 500 yards from said eaterie).Thus the drunk person becomes very sober very quickly therefore bringing the hangover on somewhat early but preventing all the tedious shouting to god over the great white telephone as this function has already been performed.

You want chilie sauce? :laugh:

Yes I agree with the kebab theory, I feel that having eaten kebab house kebabs whilst both drunk and sober that they only taste better whilst drunk, maybe the best option with kebab house kebabs is to go for the veggie option. I always seem to notice that with the meat kebabs, supposedly lamb that there always seems to  be  grease on the underside of the pitta bread  :p . I'm not a vegetarian, I lasted about 2 weeks I think with me I feel borderline anaemic, I know sometimes I feel weak pretty quickly, and I think meat gives me iron, however I don't eat a great deal of meat, I do try and eat free range if possible, if I make a chilli or a spag bol,or shepherds pie my boyfriend thinks I put lots of veg in it. I've tried a chilli or spag bol using either Quorn or soya mince, but I find it lacks taste  :p.  However I love chick peas, I do a pretty good chick pea rogan josh , and Bombay bhajis, which is chick peas, onion and spuds, bound together with an egg but I think eating chick peas all the time would get a bit boring.

--------------
I'm going slightly mad,
It finally happened, I'm slightly mad , just very slightly mad

If you feel a little glum to Hergest Ridge you should come.

I'm challenging  taboos surrounding mental health

"Part time hippy"

I'M SUPPORTING OUR SOLDIERS

BRING OUR TROOPS HOME NOW!!
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 05:05

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 15 2008, 03:53)
I would`nt say that Mike rejected space because he prefered to be On Horseback though.I just took it as a nice thing to say about horses really.You know he obviously rated "flying through space" quite highly imo.

That's how I see it, too, Dirk. It's like how, right now, I'd rather have a bacon cheeseburger than shrimp fettucini alfredo. Doesn't mean I don't like shrimp fettucini alfredo; I just really want a bacon cheeseburger. I suppose that may be a bit simplistic, but I don't think of "On Horseback" as more than a simple - and beautiful - song.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 09:04

Quote (Sweetpea @ July 18 2008, 05:05)
Quote (Dirk Star @ July 15 2008, 03:53)
I would`nt say that Mike rejected space because he prefered to be On Horseback though.I just took it as a nice thing to say about horses really.You know he obviously rated "flying through space" quite highly imo.

That's how I see it, too, Dirk. It's like how, right now, I'd rather have a bacon cheeseburger than shrimp fettucini alfredo. Doesn't mean I don't like shrimp fettucini alfredo; I just really want a bacon cheeseburger. I suppose that may be a bit simplistic, but I don't think of "On Horseback" as more than a simple - and beautiful - song.

On the other hand, by avoiding all time references, Mike gives the impression that the horse-riding state is one that he prefers timelessly, and therefore, at all times, to the space-flying one.
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 19:21

Quote (Dirk Star @ July 16 2008, 04:17)
Big brown mane/Up in me plane... :p

On the "Starship Earth" theory.As far as I`m aware I would`nt imagine there`s an awful lot of horseback riding taking place in limbo.Which is basicaly what Mike would have to be saying there really.Err or maybe not though?I`ve kind of confused myself now..Maybe it`s a one for some lateral thinking existentialists out there?Way beyond my realms of thinking that`s for sure..So yeah I`m definetly on board for the ufo/rocket thing.Otherwise he`d have been better off singing "I would rather be with you than filling in tax returns.Or unblocking the toilet".

Mmm...well, I'm feeling silly....I finally get that he isn't referring to airplanes, but my brain still goes there. Probably cos of my thoughts about flying. I absolutely hate to fly but used to have horses, so in addition to reminding me how much fun it is to be on horseback, the next thought is how scary I find flying. Speaking of taxes and toilets, I have actually had those thoughts while sitting on a runway waiting for the plane to take off and also while listening to the horsey song, i.e., Yeah Mike. Me too. In fact, I would rather be cleaning every toilet in the neighborhood, I'd rather have root canal, or I'd rather be filing a report. I know statistically it is very safe, but it  has been awhile since I've been on a problem-free flight. In Jan., I flew to Vancouver to visit my bf and we had to turn around and go back to the airport in Salt Lake City. In Feb., I was supposed to fly into Ithaca but got re-routed to Syracuse cos of freezing rain. De-icing is interesting, though. The March trip to see Mike was ok except that travelocity forgot to account for an early daylight's savings time in the US, and the flight to the library convention a couple of weeks ago was delayed 5 hours cos of mechanical difficulty. I am hyersensitive to every sound on the airplane and usually close my eyes and imagine the FMO video when we take off, though wish we could listen to music at that point. I frakking HATE to fly.  But.....I'd love to be on horseback. Rather, even. :D

--------------
Profile PM 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 20:32

Inkanta, you have my sympathy, as this is a fear from which I used to suffer. Fortunately, I've managed to overcome it, mainly through habituation and sheer brute force of will. Incidentally, reading  between the lines Mike himself would appear to have had this fear too, as he says somewhere, with regard to the positive results he received from the Exegesis procedure, that he can "now do things that he couldn't do before, such as get on planes".
Profile PM 
Inkanta Offline

Posted: July 18 2008, 23:21

Well, the best I can manage is to book the flights. Then I have nightmares off and on, up until I fly (but not while I'm where I've flown to, and not when I get back home--until the next booking). On board, I tend to sit there in quiet desperation, trying to read, but end up reading the same sentence over and over again. I finally close my eyes and think of FMO.  

Came across this interview from 2002 containing:

Would you be good to sit next to if a pilot had a heart attack?  (Oh great. Something else to think about!! ) ;)

"In theory, I could handle a commercial jet. I love it when airplanes get into trouble. I'm scared of flying - but only when it's sunny and flat. When we hit a storm and it's bucking all over the place, I'm going: 'Yesss!' "  

Hey Mike! Come fly with me! Hahaha!

--------------
Profile PM 
clotty Offline

Group: Members.
Posted: July 19 2008, 01:43

I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that).

So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now.
;)

--------------
Clotty
Profile PM WEB 
nightspore Offline

Posted: July 19 2008, 05:54

Quote (clotty @ July 19 2008, 01:43)
I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that).

So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now.
;)

Indeed, in the Maestro game, which takes place on a spaceship (for those who are unfamiliar with it) there are a number of horses.
Profile PM 
72 replies since Aug. 22 2007, 03:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < 1 2 [3] 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net