Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: "On Horseback", made me cry< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sweetpea Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 03:11

Yes, I cried the last time I listened to it (about twenty minutes ago  :laugh: ). Of course, it may be because I was already feeling really happy, but now I feel really, really happy.  :D

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 03:30

It's a beautiful, beautiful piece, isn't it. I don't like horses very much at all, but that bit where all the kid's voices join in... wow! So peaceful and calming!

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 04:22

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 22 2007, 03:30)
I don't like horses very much at all

I think they're wonderful creatures, but I'm actually afraid of horses. The last time I was up close to one, I was just a child, and I thought it would try to bite my head off.

--------------
"I'm no physicist, but technically couldn't Mike both be with the horse and be flying through space at the same time? (On account of the earth's orbit around the Sun and all that). So it seems he never had to make the choice after all. I bet he's kicking himself now." - clotty
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 08:48

Quite by error I Played Ommadawn on Random Play by mistake and "Horseback" came out as Tk2 inbetween the 2 long sides.. It works Pretty good Like that too .. Try it!! :cool:

--------------
We're Flying Aeroflot, We've Got Reservations.
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 09:09

Ooer!  That's rather cool, I didn't know you could do that.  Cause on my cd, On Horseback's just the end of part 2, it's not a track on its own.

I do like the song though.  It always makes me smile.
:)
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 13:18

It's a beautiful, beautiful piece, isn't it.

I've always thought so, too. I was shocked the first time I heard (or read) someone say they didn't like it.  :laugh:

3Wheeler, I recognize that avatar. Who are you and what have you done with Deadcalm??

--------------
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 14:02

Deadcalm met an unfortunate end in Cyberspace while attempting tele Transportation ..Hes been transformed and is in safe hands though  :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
ImAFoolAndImLaughing Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 17:24

Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 22 2007, 09:09)
on my cd, On Horseback's just the end of part 2, it's not a track on its own.

That's true, Ebony - but if you play track two before track one, then "On Horseback" (AKA Ommadawn Part Two and a bit) comes between the two halves of ommadawn... I think. You see? I Make sense? Who knows?

:D

--------------
"I was in this prematurely air conditioned supermarket and there were these bathing caps you could buy that had these kind of Fourth of July plumes on them that were red and yellow and blue and I wasn't tempted to buy one but I was reminded of the fact that I had been avoiding the beach."
Profile PM 
Ebony Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 17:39

Quote (ImAFoolAndImLaughing @ Aug. 22 2007, 22:24)
Quote (Ebony @ Aug. 22 2007, 09:09)
on my cd, On Horseback's just the end of part 2, it's not a track on its own.

That's true, Ebony - but if you play track two before track one, then "On Horseback" (AKA Ommadawn Part Two and a bit) comes between the two halves of ommadawn... I think. You see? I Make sense? Who knows?

:D

Oh yeah, didn't think of that!
You make perfect sense.  To me anyway, which unfortunately isn't the best measure of sense making!  :laugh:
Profile PM 
onion Offline

Posted: Aug. 22 2007, 19:59

Quote (Sweetpea @ Aug. 22 2007, 10:22)
I don't like horses very much at all

I think they're wonderful creatures, but I'm actually afraid of horses. The last time I was up close to one, I was just a child, and I thought it would try to bite my head off.

Ummmm  I like horses....
7 hours on the barbeque grill and the meat is tender  :D
Add garlicbread, owen-baked potato's and some red wine   YUMMI     :D

I like kids too   :cool:    (they only need 2½ hour)

Mike

--------------
Are soft boiled eggs supposed to make a crunchy noise when you eat them?
Profile PM 
3Wheeler Offline

Posted: Aug. 23 2007, 03:52

My Copy of "Ommadawn"  cdvip 185   the one that was out before the remastered version deff has the tks seperated into 3 sections.. maybe the new version doesnt i dont know ?..Anyway i played on the media player   in error ie tk 1 3 2   running order and it dont sound half bad !! :cool:

--------------
Profile PM 
SoimSandheaver Offline

Posted: Aug. 24 2007, 12:56

"On Horseback" is a really lovely piece and is a perfect way to end such an epic Album which goes through so many phases...

It's got such a soothing quality to it and it is always a pleasure to listen to it.

--------------
"Three blokes go into a pub, one of them's a little bit stupid, then the whole scene unfolds, with a tedious inevitability."
Profile PM 
Taurus 4 Offline

Posted: Sep. 02 2007, 12:30

On Horseback attached to Part Two irritated me when I got the 2000 remaster of Ommadawn. I'm all for the two parts being listed, with On Horseback being a last-minute surprise to those not in the know, but don't put it as part of the second piece, for gawd's sake! It's different with the Sailor's Hornpipe, though.
Profile PM 
Sweetpea Offline

Posted: Dec. 09 2007, 04:02

Quote (3Wheeler @ Aug. 22 2007, 08:48)
Quite by error I Played Ommadawn on Random Play by mistake and "Horseback" came out as Tk2 inbetween the 2 long sides.. It works Pretty good Like that too .. Try it!! :cool:

How about this order:

1. On Horseback
2. Ommadawn Part 1
3. On Horseback
4. Ommadawn Part 2
5. On Horseback

Or would that be too much?

--------------
Profile PM 
trcanberra Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 05:28

Quote (Sweetpea @ Aug. 22 2007, 03:11)
Yes, I cried the last time I listened to it (about twenty minutes ago  :laugh: ). Of course, it may be because I was already feeling really happy, but now I feel really, really happy.  :D

Hey SweetP, I think this is a great track too.  I had forgotten all about it over the years, so on listening to the CD just now it really made me smile.  I wonder what all the old hippies thought in the day?  :O
Profile PM 
Dirk Star Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 07:41

"Hey and away we go!"

I once got chased through a field by two large Shirehorses late at night.Whatever posessed me to walk through that field god only knows?.So Ok I was drunk,and I was carrying a half consumed tray of curried fried rice and chips with a plastic fork sticking out of it.Somehow or other I managed to get to the other side of that field backside intact.And then hurdle the fence at the end of it with takeaway still in hand.No way on earth would I have been able to do that sober,but then I wouldn`t have bloody been in there in the first place.Who would`ve thought that such masterful beasts would have a late night hankering for naff chinese cuisine?Seems we`re not so different after all.

I`d always been very comfortable around horses up until that point.But I must admit I`m a little bit wary of them now.Even when there`s a fence there for protection.I still think they`re amazing animals though.And On Horseback is a beautiful tribute to them.I love the Bob Edmands description of this track which is quoted in the boxed booklet.Where he likens the track to a kind of Rolf Harris children`s novelty piece.And then goes on to heap great praise on the amount of care and attention to detail Mike had put into it...."The result is utterly charming and disarming.Instant,beautiful euphoria."
Quite right Sir.
Profile PM 
Scatterplot Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 14:14

I totally agree. Even tho I totally bastardized the lyrics in an albums-ommadawn thread with another member of this site, I won't do it again. That song affected me in 1975, I was probably 14. It affected me at 20, 30, and now.....40-something. It is so charmingly innocent in it's nature. The children singing in it added so much to it. I wonder if the children singing in PF "Another Brick in the Wall" was maybe someone like Roger Waters listening to "Horseback" and Alice Cooper's "Schools Out" and thinking, "hey, lets make a rebellion tune with kids singing!" It's possible. Horseback and School's out predated "Brick in the Wall" by several years. By the time PF recorded it, they were having fistfights in the studio, they were in need of separation. So, to make something legible out of the tapes they had made, who do they hire as producer?  Bob Ezrin, Alice Cooper's producer, who stayed with PF for all the rest. But I think "Horseback" was part of that whole thing. If you listen closely it sounds like the same kids on the same day in the same studio. Of course they were not, being several years later, but it's food for thought.
    Anyway, "On Horseback" means a lot to me. Big brown beastie gig brown face......You can think of any pet, a doggie of your past....It does not have to be a horse, but I do love horses. Wish I had access to a horse. I've ridden maybe 3 or 4 in my lifetime. Had some unforgettable moments petting their faces....affection. I never got the feeling they were as intelligent as dogs, in particular my beloved Eddy, a Shit-Zoo/Maltese puppy. But I think....when I listen to that song, probably what MO was thinking of......taking a picnic lunch out into the country with Shadowfax. Well, I listen to the song about once a year and it still chokes me up(IE, evokes an emotional response from me).
Jim

--------------
We raise our voices in the night
Crying to heaven
And will our voices be heard
Or will they break Like the wind
Profile PM 
Ray Offline

Posted: Feb. 29 2008, 15:18

Once in 1982 I was feeling a little glum - so I got on my motor bike and drove to Hergest Ridge - 4hrs away!!!!  I only had jeans and trainers on - I froze driving back!

Now I have a big brown horse called Bentley.  When I walk in the field he comes up and pushed his forehead against your back and some times flicks his head which kind of throws you forward about 2ft - it's his was of saying "hello - how are you little human!!"

It was one of the earliest MO songs I learnt to play.

Excellent piece but I some times think it is rather Weird and i really dont know how I like it so much.

--------------
Looking out over the harbour in Peel.......
Profile PM 
Major Gowen Offline

Posted: July 10 2008, 01:36

I love it. I had the In Dulci Jubilo/On Horseback double A-side single - what a Christmas bonanza that was! One of Mike's best 'short songs' and really the only track with children singing that I like.
Profile PM 
The Caveman Offline

Posted: July 10 2008, 08:06

I read somewhere that the 'hipper elements of Mike's audience wouldn't be seen dead listening to a Rolk Harris novelty tune and superficially this is the same thing.But only superficially' and then goes on to talk about the synth effects etc.
 It is a reallly nice song and has all the elements of his bigger pieces condensed.OK the lyrics may be slightly cringe worthy but it's done with such sincerity that it comes across as utterly charming.Les Penning introduced Mike to horse riding when he lived in Kington and actually cried when Mike played him On Horseback as it brought his earliest memories of riding back to him so vividly.
I love it but i never tried to learn it.There are some things that are better just to listen to and absorb rather than pick apart and learn.Takes away a bit of the mystery.This is one of those.

--------------
THE COMING OF THE GREAT WHITE HANDKERCHEIF IS NIGH.
Profile PM 
72 replies since Aug. 22 2007, 03:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Pages: (4) < [1] 2 3 4 >

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net