Welcome Guest
[ Log In :: Register ]

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Topic: On a positive note..., about the 2011 remaster< Next Oldest | Next Newest >
Sammy Offline

Group: Members
Posted: Aug. 19 2011, 13:11

... apart from the embarrassing skip/edit thingy in part 4, which still remains as yet unresolved... it really is a good job IMO.

There is a welcome "airiness" or sense of space in the overall sound picture, which I think was somewhat missing on the earlier masters (including the otherwise brilliant HDCD version) - I'm not a professional or anything like that but having just listened to the new mastering side by side with the HDCD version, I ended up thinking that while the HDCD master maybe carries a bit more weight and punch in some individual sections, the new version has that "certain something" about it that makes me prefer it.

To my ears, in the new mastering the string section bits sound more natural, the African drums and choral bits more clear-cut than before, and so on. You get to hear details that were somewhat drowned in the earlier masters - well of course they were there, but now you get the feeling that they're more easily discernible from the other stuff going on around them.

The mid-range especially sounds more uncluttered in the new master.

In classical music, one tends to come across the term "closely miked" (sic) or dry acoustics; if I may be so bold as to extend this to the earlier cd versions of Incantations, they seemed to have a whiff of that about them. This is not so much the case anymore, in the new mastering the aural image is more three-dimensional and vivid - more like a "concert hall" acoustic which in this context doesn't sound bad at all. On the contrary, it sort of adds grandeur and dare I even say sense of unity into the proceedings.

I may have ranted on about the badly done "replacement disc" edit in part 4 - and yes I still think it's a bit of a mess in that respect - but overall...

...I must say...

It's frigging FANTASTIC.

What would you expect? It's "Incantations" after all :cool:

-

I'll leave it to others to comment on the 5.1 content or disc 2 which to me are non-essential; but to be honest the new mix of "Hiawatha" is rather captivating in its simplicity. a favourite of mine on disc 2. What did they do to the vocals? Magical. Hats off to Maddy Prior!

Also the folksy tunes aren't at all bad. But the newly mixed Incantations bits (bar the Hiawatha song) could even have been left undone IMO - they sound like gilding the lily, fixing something that is not broken. Accept no substitute.

Now, if only they hadn't messed about so unprofessionally with that part 4 patching job...
Profile PM 
Ghostmojo Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2011, 07:14

Not been on here for a while.

Main reason for dropping in is to see the reaction to the new remaster of Incantations.

I must admit to not knowing what to do now. I don't want to order and receive a faulty package. If I do so and have to send it back then I would probably just get the same again. Most stockists are not going to be aware of the problem and are probably going to hang on to their original stock unless the supplier or record company recall the product. Let's face it - this record will not be a massive seller and will only appeal to the MO enthusiast and completist, so it is likely that supplies will continue in circulation with the original 'glitch-ridden' version.

Where is the best place to buy the 2011 deluxe issue in its corrected form I wonder? I may well wait for a bit ...

--------------
" ... if you feel a little glum - to Hergest Ridge you should come ... "
Profile PM 
familyjules Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2011, 07:21

Quote (Sammy @ Aug. 19 2011, 13:11)
... apart from the embarrassing skip/edit thingy in part 4, which still remains as yet unresolved...

Oh no - I just got back from holiday and was delighted that the replacement CD was waiting....and now I've been reading the threads here....  

Jules

--------------
I like beer and I like cheese
Profile PM 
captainjjb Offline

Posted: Aug. 21 2011, 12:09

Agreed - this is such a wonderful piece of music.  The extra's are very interesting - the minimal Hiawatha is a gem.... but the main 4 pieces are what it's all about and they shine so much in this version - I love it.
Profile PM 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 02 2012, 23:45

This is just such a lovely package.  Hardly perfect in its execution but music and design are a delight.  My complicated relationship between Incantations and Exposed will never result in me giving either an unequivocal recommendation over the other but this is a fantastic place to park for a while ( and give the Exposed discs a rest, should there prove to never be another re-issue... :/  )  Disc one has been lodged in my player for a couple of weeks now,  but got through a full and rewarding listen today and now approaching the end of the DVD - go Pierre and Benoit!!!

On which note: somewhere - deep within the extended thread of anticpation and reaction to last year's release - I told you I only experience the Universal DVDs in black and white.  No problems with any other discs on my old set-up and I'll probably never get to the bottom of it, because plugging my new TV into the same machine a few months ago has apparently overcome the issue.  Loving the colours in Guilty as I draw this to a close. :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
GusFogle Offline

Posted: June 03 2012, 01:26

Quote (Cavalier (Lost Version) @ June 02 2012, 23:45)
 My complicated relationship between Incantations and Exposed will never result in me giving either an unequivocal recommendation over the other

What about "Exposed" do you prefer over "Incantations"? I think Mike left some of the very best bits out, particularly in Parts 3 and 4. I don't think he really did those parts justice.

I do appreciate the editing of certain parts on "Exposed", but I feel like in places he cut out the important parts and left in the parts that should have been cut! Another added bonus is the obvious thrill of it being a live performance. Overall though, I think the studio album is the stronger work.

Expect a video blog from me soon regarding our upcoming live performance of the entire "Incantations" album, including the parts he cut out.
Profile PM WEB 
Cavalier (Lost Version) Offline

Posted: June 08 2012, 13:32

I hope I haven't given the impression of ignoring your questions, Gus, but this week has seen me needing to make an impression on my pillow every time I logged on.  I started replies a couple of times, but kept losing concentration as I tried to navigate away from my opening sentences.

Mind you, I fell asleep the first time I listened to side one of Exposed on cassette.  Repetition or minimalism, but it was going on a bit and not really gripping by the throat.  The TB side wasn't much better; I've certainly come to like and love several parts of that but it blows the first thing I began to write in reply to you out of the water - that I like Exposed more because I came to it first.  It's a factor though, as in the three-year gap between acquiring that cassette and an Incantations LP, I did come to revere the live version.  I was waiting for original passages of live favourites to wreak havoc with my mind - and several just didn't.

On the other hand, as you say, all these wonderful missing links appear; and there are times when the time and care taken in the studio does make for a better listen.  Prior to the tour, Mike or Virgin, or both together, must have decided that a souvenir album was on the cards or that the musicians needed a breather; and thus the scissors came out.  Whatever the timing issues of individual sections may have been, Mike's attitude would probably have been "play them in their entirety or don't bother".  And if you are counting the seconds, the rather brilliant guitar solo in part 3 does noodle a bit...

I come back to music like that with relish.  I suppose I view Incantations as being a bonus version of Exposed - a '70's Special Edition!   A rewarding listen in its own right and sensational when the "new" material kicks in.

But there's always the artifice that is the live album.  No one concert sounded like that (the DVD, from late in the tour, is evidence of that), but it was assembled thus.  I used to assume that microphones and levels were set on particular nights to highlight the strengths of each group of instruments, but have to concede that it was a probably a great deal more random!  It's just that in some of these anonymous performances, the captured music stomps all over the studio recordings.  The opening to part four has pounding, exciting thumps on tympani, then a gloriously energetic vibraphone duet.  In part two, the trumpet that picks out the Diana melody is just so mournful compared to the original.  Add to that the way Maddy's voice cracks when she comes back in, the audience applause and Mike's scaling improv over and under her...  I can still well up :)

--------------
"Who was that?"
"That was Venger - the force of Evil!  I am Dungeon Master - your guide in the realm of Dungeons & Dragons!"
Profile PM 
6 replies since Aug. 19 2011, 13:11 < Next Oldest | Next Newest >

[ Track this topic :: Email this topic :: Print this topic ]

Forums | Links | Instruments | Discography | Tours | Articles | FAQ | Artwork | Wallpapers
Biography | Gallery | Videos | MIDI / Ringtones | Tabs | Lyrics | Books | Sitemap | Contact

Mike Oldfield Tubular.net
Mike Oldfield Tubular.net